quicken becoming unresponsive

I have been a twenty plus user of Quicken, but since November 2021 the program seems to have become unstable. I have had quicken support try to correct the problem but it seems that after a week the problem returns as quicken becomes frozen or in some kind of loop and becomes unresponsive.

Answers

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    At what point does Quicken become unresponsive? On start up?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • judy66
    judy66 Member
    I just tried getting into my Quicken account. It I got the usual notice that there was an up date. I don't usually do anything and say No. But this time I said Yes. Now it is telling me "Unable to initialize Quicken run-time components. Restart Windows and try running Quicken again. If the problem persists, please visit Quicken.com/Support." I have have tried this several times but all I get is a blank quicken page with nothing on it. How do I go about getting back into my Quicken account?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would download and run the Quicken installation program. It will remove the old copy and install a fresh one. https://download.quicken.com/windows/Quicken.exe
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • skip
    skip Member ✭✭
    We tried that but after a short time it began screwing up again
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    skip said:
    We tried that but after a short time it began screwing up again
    @skip

I am sorry to hear about these ongoing problems with program freezes and unresponsive screens. Thank you for speaking with us about this matter here on the Quicken Community.

Where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. 

I look forward to hearing your response, and I hope to continue working with you on this further, if necessary.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • skip
    skip Member ✭✭
    Since last November I have been having trouble with my Quicken program. It started by not allowing me to access a dropdown menu for Bills and income. It seems to go into some kind of loop. The latest thing I am trying is to use a file from a different computer to see if it will work on this computer. We will see. I have had several session with people and techs from quicken since last November but all attempts to restore my issue have failed. I have to minimize my program so I can get to my task manager in order to close the program when it begins a loop search or freezes up with a circle going around and around but never finding what it is looking for to complete the task. Alan Turing had the same issue as he tried to unscramble the Enigma machine.
  • skip
    skip Member ✭✭
    I have used Quicken Financial software for over twenty years and have never in all that time had an issue. Something changed last November. To be very truthful I do not know if some happened on my side or on Quickens side but given the long standing use of Quicken I am prone to believe it is some change Quicken has incorporated into the program. Also I find that the new latest version does not allow for two line registers information which I found very useful. The program Preferences does not provide a choice for the "Register" to use two lines unless I am missing something I am unaware of.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    skip said:
    I have used Quicken Financial software for over twenty years and have never in all that time had an issue. Something changed last November. To be very truthful I do not know if some happened on my side or on Quickens side but given the long standing use of Quicken I am prone to believe it is some change Quicken has incorporated into the program. Also I find that the new latest version does not allow for two line registers information which I found very useful. The program Preferences does not provide a choice for the "Register" to use two lines unless I am missing something I am unaware of.
    Bank account registers can be set to 1- or 2-line registers individually. There is no global setting in Edit / Preferences like there is for investment registers,
    Use the Actions gear icon in the account register and click "Use One/Two-Line display" or simply press CTRL-2 to toggle between 1- and 2-line modes and back.