Target Red Card Error Fix

This discussion was created from comments split from: Finally able to connect my Target Red Card to Quicken but....

Comments

• > @PlayfulOtterFriend said:
    > Unable to import a QFX file from Target today. I get an OL-221-A error. I tried changing the FID as mention in an earlier post in this thread, but that didn't help.

After some experimentation, I was able to isolate whatever is causing the problem to the payments on the account. So store transactions are fine, but payments are not. Fortunately, knowing this allows me to import most of the transitions by simply deleting all the payments from the transaction list.

The simpler way, which I didn't think of until I completed the other option below, is to simply filter out the payments on the Target website. On my account, they were in the Miscellaneous category, so to filter them out, under Filters -> Categories, first click Select All and then unselect the Miscellaneous and Payments categories. Then download the resulting transaction list. I didn't try this technique, but theoretically it should work.

The more complicated way, which is what I did do successfully, is to modify the downloaded .qfx file to remove the payment transactions. To do this:
    1. Open the downloaded .qfx in a text editor. I used Notepad++, but just about any fairly simple editor should work. I don't recommend using Word because it likes to add a bunch of hidden metadata.
    2. If you opened the file using a text editor that supports computer languages, switch to XML formatting. If you opened in a regular text editor, that's fine. This step just helps in finding the matching open/close tags for each transaction.
    3. Search for "<STMTTRN><TRNTYPE>CREDIT</TRNTYPE>" in the file. For every instance, delete all the text from the start of the match until the end of the first "</STMTTRN>" that follows it. Be careful on this step so that you don't delete too much. This file format essentially has all the transactions on a single very long line, which can make it difficult to read or highlight sections accurately. Fortunately, this type of tag-based file format is lenient with line breaks between adjacent >< symbols, so I found it helpful to press Enter before and after the section I wanted to delete to isolate the section on its own line and then just highlight and delete it.
    4. Save the file. I made a copy first so that if I messed up, I can revert back to the original file.
    5. In Quicken, go to File -> File Import -> Web Connect (.QFX) File... and import the edited file.
    6. Enjoy seeing your transactions in Quicken! Well, some of them anyway.

Here's hoping this fix works for a while. This is not the first time I've had to doctor QFX files from Target.
  • > @PlayfulOtterFriend said:
    > The simpler way, which I didn't think of until I completed the other option below, is to simply filter out the payments on the Target website. On my account, they were in the Miscellaneous category, so to filter them out, under Filters -> Categories, first click Select All and then unselect the Miscellaneous and Payments categories. Then download the resulting transaction list. I didn't try this technique, but theoretically it should work.

I discovered that this wouldn't work when you have refunds or returns because those, at least for me, were categorized as "Household" (same as a regular purchase). In that case, I recommend using both approaches -- filter out payments via the website first, and then if the file doesn't import, manually delete any "credit" transactions.