Quicken seems to drop old transactions randomly

:# I've had this happen with a couple of accounts for the past few months on different occasions. I've been using Quicken since 1995 or before and only experienced this recently. An account that previously balanced exact is suddenly off by several thousand dollars or just a few hundred. I have tried to go back to the previous day I balanced, but everything looks correct, it just no longer matches up to my bank balances. I believe it may be deleting data from previous years and I have no way of knowing where or which ones. I tried validating the data and super validating and no errors are reported. I have now scaled my quicken file to just the last few years, to see if it is perhaps too large, but don't know if this will fix the problem.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the reconciled opening balance has changed, a reconciled transaction has been added, modified, or deleted.  To determine the source of the change, I suggest you compare the running balance of the account register in the current Quicken file with the running balance of the account register from a Quicken file backup saved when the account was last reconciled.  One way to accomplish this is to print the registers to text files.
  • oraclemetro
    oraclemetro Member ✭✭
    I don't know if this is your problem, but some people, including myself, have experienced the opening balance of an account being changed by Quicken. I think it happened during the process of deactivating and reactivating online access for the account (in order to fix errors). I discovered the opening balance change by comparing to backups. One thread here recommended putting the opening balance amount in the memo field of the opening balance transaction, so that if it happens again, you'll know the right number to change it back to. I too thought that records had been deleted, but once I changed the opening balance back to what it had been, everything worked fine. This happened to a few different accounts of mine.