Quicken wants to uninstall when importing bank transactions (Q Win Canada R 40.xx)

wiensken
wiensken Member ✭✭
After automatic update to R40.23 am getting an error message when I import transactions from RBC. Normally the chrome browser hands this file over automatically to Quicken - but now I get the error: "There are Quicken components currently open, and can not be uninstalled. Please close Quicken, and try uninstalling again."

I can manually import the qfx files - but it would be nice to have this work automatically again. I also get a new "client side error" when I try and do the update from Quicken itself.
Quicken user since 1996 (MS-DOS). When Quicken's head office was in Edmonton Alberta!

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @wiensken,

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing these errors with your Royal Bank of Canada account(s).

If you don’t mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the error message you described receiving when attempting to do an update of your accounts within Quicken? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Looking forward to hearing your response.

-Quicken Jasmine
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the Windows file Association for the .QFX file extension.  It should point to qw.exe with NO parameters.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • wiensken
    wiensken Member ✭✭
    I have signed out and signed in, then completely rebuilt the password vault. Some things appear to be running better, but I won't be able to determine for sure that the above errors have gone away until I have more transactions to download.
    Quicken user since 1996 (MS-DOS). When Quicken's head office was in Edmonton Alberta!
  • Mike_p
    Mike_p Member
    Hi, I'm now having the exact same issue when upgrading to Quicken Windows 27.1.40.23.

When I click the QFX file the result is Windows Installed for Quicken. My file association for QFX files is properly set to Quicken. Open to any suggestions on how to resolve. Quicken support directed me to my bank, however when I use previous QFX files which I know are good, it's now not working.

Windows Installer
    Please wait while Windows configures Quicken
    There are Quicken components currently open, and can not be uninstalled
    Please close Quicken, and try uninstalling again

Thanks
  • Exact same issue - started during a Quicken activated update a day ago - now I can't update any financial data via download. ver R40.23 Build 27.1.40.23 Windows Pro

Current Edmonton Quicken user since 1992 when Quicken was here!
  • grimmt1957
    grimmt1957 Member ✭✭
    I am having this issue as well after upgrading to R40.23.

Imports of .QFX files appeared to work for me after upgrading and the first run.
    I have since exited and restarted quicken. When starting the second time, I received the upgrade notices and now clicking on a .QFX file causes the following messages:
    1. Please wait while Windows configures Quicken
    2. There are Quicken components currently open, and can not be uninstalled. Please close Quicken, and try uninstalling again.

I have checked the default App settings are set for .qfx => "Quicken Windows"
    I have also rebooted Windows and have the same issue.

I can still use File->File Import->Web Connect (QFX) File... and select the file manually. This loads the transactions successfully.
  • Same problem, multiple Canadian banks. Not just RBC
  • screen shot
  • jands
    jands Member
    Same problem is discussed in the link below. This fixed it for me.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7912888/r40-23-canada-issue-with-importing-banking-cc-transactions#latest
  • grimmt1957
    grimmt1957 Member ✭✭
    As follow-up, I'm confirming that uninstalling and reinstalling Quicken resolved the issue for me.
  • DavidWC
    DavidWC Member
    I'm running windows desktop Canadian version of Quicken. It's annoying that clicking on a QFX or QDF file would try to uninstall Quicken. The only thing that worked for me was;

1. Download the latest full version Quicken-Canada.exe
    2. Uninstall Quicken
    3. Delete the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken" directory.
    4. Temporarily disable antivirus (not sure if this is required)
    5. Install the latest downloaded full version of Quicken
    5. Open Quicken and enter Quicken ID to sync

The import problems disappeared after that. Quicken no longer ask me to uninstall, if I clicked on a QFX or QDF file.
  • Arvy
    Arvy Member ✭✭
    In my case, that suggested uninstall/re-install "solution" did not actually correct the Quicken R40.23 Canada issues discussed here. What it did instead was to revert to Quicken R33.7 which the "Check for Updates" menu item then showed as being the "latest" Canada update release now available.

If anyone wants to keep R40.23 installed as is, it's Import File menu item does work even though double-clicking the .QFX file itself doesn't. I posted a whole thread of my own here earlier with more details about the R40.23 issues under discussion, but it got 'disappeared' somehow.
  • Kennuth
    Kennuth Member
    I am also having difficulty since the R40.23 update. When I run the downloaded OFX file from CIBC, Quicken attempts to uninstall.
  • grimmt1957
    grimmt1957 Member ✭✭
    Sigh, Arvy is correct.

The posted uninstall/reinstall solution reverts Quicken back to the old R33.7 version.
    Seems the R40.23 upgrade is on a controlled/limited release track.