Canada R40.23 - QFX file handling

Recently updated to R40.23 (Canada edition) on my desktop and laptop computers. I use Web Connect .QFX files (rather than Quicken's direct "One Step Update") and I'm having the same problems with both computer R40.23 updates.

With Quicken running, I can use its menu item for File Import > Web Connect (.QFX) File and that works okay. However, if I just double-click on a downloaded .QFX file, it attempts to re-install/re-configure Quicken and fails with an error message that it can't find the .MSI installation file. Double-clicking worked fine with previous versions, and yes, I have checked my Windows config settings to ensure that Quicken remains set as the default for .QFX file handling.

Second minor issue is that changing from "Last 30 Days" to "This Month" in the new dashboard's "Top Payees" card is not sticky as it is for all of the others with that option.

Comments

• Butch1
    Butch1 Member
    same problem not a happy camper!
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Arvy & @Butch1,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Other users in this thread here have reported being able to resolve the issue you described by uninstalling Quicken, turning off Anti-Virus, and then reinstalling. If needed, please refer to the following support articles for instructions on uninstalling here and reinstalling here.

I hope this helps!
    -Quicken Anja
  • Arvy
    Arvy Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your apology and suggestion. However, the need to completely uninstall and re-install the entire application on all of my computers in order to correct a .QFX file handling problem caused by an update to the current Quicken executable is more than slightly annoying to say the least.

Doesn't anyone there know the proper command line syntax for the Quicken executable to import a .QFX file? It has always been and is still currently set in my Windows registries as follows:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\qw.exe" -X "%1"

Has that registry requirement been altered for R40.23 and, if so, what is the correct syntax now? Or, if not that, what other specific alteration has the R40.23 update process failed to implement properly?
  • Arvy
    Arvy Member ✭✭
    P.S.: Is there any way at all to make the new dashboard's "Top Payees" card options sticky?
  • Arvy
    Arvy Member ✭✭
    edited May 4
    Well, as recommended by "Quicken Anja" under my other thread below
    ( https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7912972/canada-r40-23-qfx-file-handling )
    about R40.23 issues, I tried uninstalling/re-installing with the current Quicken-Canada.exe download on one of my machines. Now, when I hit the "Check for Updates" menu item, it tells me that I already have the "latest" R33.7 release! Say what?!

Has anybody got any clear ideas about what the heck is actually going on with this current Canada update release process? [Removed - Speculation] Not a happy camper here.

[Merged Post]
  • Arvy
    Arvy Member ✭✭
    edited May 4
    [Removed - Off Topic]
  • JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    After updating to 40.23, in addition to not being able to update my bank transactions, I also lost all my S&P TSX Composite Index data in the Performance screen.
    I had created a Windows Restore point prior to updating to 40.23.
    I used it to restore back to the 33.7 version, which fixed the missing TSX data, but I am still getting the QFX update error.
    I don't want to re-install the downloaded Quicken version if it is going to install 40.33.
    How do I make sure that 33.7 is installed?
    I notice that some users after uninstalling and then re-installing are showing the 33.7 version.
    Is the "QWCA27.1.33.7MPatch.exe" a complete installation of 33.7 version?
  • Arvy
    Arvy Member ✭✭
    Hi Josef. I can't answer you about using just the patch, but I followed the instructions at https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it to download the Quicken installation executable. Downloading and running that Quicken-Canada.exe file uninstalled R40.23 and replaced it with R33.7 which then becomes the "latest" release update currently available.
  • JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    Hi Arvy, Thanks for the info. I manually uninstalled Quicken from Windows and also deleted the old Quicken program folder and then reinstalled an older version of Quicken which then asked to be updated to R33.7, which I did.
    Bank transaction downloads working perfectly again.

Two other issues I had with 40.23 before re-installing R33.7
    1) S&P TSX Composite Index data disappeared in "Performance - Growth of $10,000" comparison graph. I tried adding Cdn indexes back but was unsuccessful and they seem to have disappeared from the Index selection list in "Tools" - "Security List" when the "Choose Market Indexes" button opens the index selection list.
    Once I reverted to R33.7 the TSX Index data was back. Obviously the updated 40.23 program is not reading the index data that is already in the file data.
    2) 40.23 Program added "Adjusted Cost" label next to every holding in the "Adjusted Cost per Share" column in the "Portfolio" view which I found very annoying and completely redundant.
    Will be sticking with R33.7 for now.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
  • Arvy
    Arvy Member ✭✭
    The R40.23 Canada release was announced on Tuesday, May 3rd at
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7912901/windows-canada-r40-xx-release#latest

For some time after that announcement it was being offered and delivered to users of earlier versions, either upon clicking the Check for Updates menu item, or just as a "pop-up" update notice within the active Quicken application. More recently, it appears to have been withdrawn, or at least it is no longer available for those who have retained or reverted to the R33.7 release.
  • robbar
    robbar Member ✭✭
    > @Arvy said:
    > Well, as recommended by "Quicken Anja" under my other thread below
    > ( https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7912972/canada-r40-23-qfx-file-handling )
    > about R40.23 issues, I tried uninstalling/re-installing with the current Quicken-Canada.exe download on one of my machines. Now, when I hit the "Check for Updates" menu item, it tells me that I already have the "latest" R33.7 release! Say what?!
    >
    > Has anybody got any clear ideas about what the heck is actually going on with this current Canada update release process? [Removed - Speculation] Not a happy camper here.
    >
    > [Merged Post]

I just read it was active for May 3 but has been removed as I removed R40/23 and am running R33.7
  • theaslings
    theaslings Member
    Having read most of these posts, and having already updated to the Canadian R40.28, I decided to uninstall, and re-install expecting to get the prior version (R33.7), however what was downloaded was the same R40.28 version (May13). Is there anyone at Qucken who can give me an updated status on the problems with R40.28 (probably most of the problems are with the prior version R40.23). thx Terrance
  • Carwalker
    Carwalker Member
    Projected balances (e.g., Next 30 days) do not work in R40.28; no timeframe given for patch to correct. If your current version is working I would not upgrade. I am trying to figure out how to roll back my version to previous