Quicken R40.21 crashing for any QDF file

Scott_K
Scott_K Member ✭✭
:(
Today (5/6/2022) Quicken R40.21 started crashing with an existing file that I've been using since first of year. The problem is trying to open "any" quicken file, or creating a "new" quicken file.

Steps I've tried so far:
* Reboot computer, re-open Quicken & File - crash trying to open file
* Download & install newest version of Quicken - crash trying to open file
* Renamed existing file - Quicken opens to "Select existing file, restore, new file"
** Tried restoring multiple backup files from last several weeks. The restore appears to work, then Quicken crashes again
** Have to move/rename the restored file to get Quicken to get back to the select file screen on startup
*Tried creating a new quicken file. Appears to work, but then Quicken crashes. Quicken will not open until I move/rename the new file

At this point, Quicken is useless

Best Answers

• Scott_K
    Scott_K Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    well, this is interesting. poking around in the dump file & what is being sent back Quicken when it crashes. I find these things in the .dmp file::
    A c c e s s t o t h e p a t h ' C : \ U s e r s \ s c o t t \ A p p D a t a \ L o c a l \ T e m p \ W P F \ t u t 2 g s e k . 1 k z ' i s d e n i e d

F a i l e d t o c r e a t e a ' C u r s o r ' f r o m t h e t e x t ' / Q u i c k e n F e a t u r e s ; c o m p o n e n t / D a s h b o a r d / R e s o u r c e s / C u r s o r s / g r a b . c u r '
    P r o v i d e v a l u e o n ' S y s t e m . W i n d o w s . M a r k u p . S t a t i c R e s o u r c e H o l d e r ' t h r e w a n e x c e p t i o n .
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8 Answer ✓
    Good sleuthing, @Scott_K . I would guess from my limited knowledge that having Quicken open to the Dashboard requires something from WPF. I looked at my own (empty) temp\WPF directory and its permissions were normal, but its modified timestamp coincided with my most recent Quicken run.
    For future reference, to revert to an older version, first set UAC to not allow updates unless you approve them. Then go to http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-info.html where you can download the base QW2018, and also download the mondo patch for the QWin release you want.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Quicken crashes, hangs or loops at startup?

Please try this:

• Reboot Windows.
    • Close Quicken (or do not start it at all).
    • Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename your current Quicken data file. For example, if it's called Qdata.QDF rename it to QdataX.QDF
      Usually your file is located in your C:\Users\_your_username_\Documents\Quicken folder.
    • Having done that start Quicken as usual from the Start Menu or Desktop Quicken icon.
      If Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.
    • If you get to this point without Quicken crashing
      • click on File in the Menu bar. Select the Validate function. Select the renamed Quicken data file and see if Quicken can access and repair it.
      • If the data file is beyond repair, try to restore your data file from the most recent Manual or Automatic backup. Go back to restoring successively older backups until you find a file that works
        https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

• Scott_K
    Scott_K Member ✭✭
    I've all those things, as referenced in my original post.
  • Scott_K
    Scott_K Member ✭✭
    The only way I've been able to get Quicken to run & open a file is to run it as Administrator (right click icon -> run as administrator).
    I've uninstalled, reboot, install new from quicken website multiple times - each time with the same result. Trying to open any file, or trying to create a new quicken file, quicken crashes.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    Scott_K said:
    The only way I've been able to get Quicken to run & open a file is to run it as Administrator (right click icon -> run as administrator).
    I've uninstalled, reboot, install new from quicken website multiple times - each time with the same result. Trying to open any file, or trying to create a new quicken file, quicken crashes.
    Hello @Scott_K,  

I am sorry to hear about this issue with crashing upon opening the program after attempting all of these troubleshooting steps. Thank you for working with us on this problem in this Discussion thread.

When you are next able to open the data file in question using the 'run as Administrator' method you have mentioned, navigate to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Where is the data file located? Make sure that it is being kept locally, on your computer, and not on any cloud-based storage service. Once this has been verified, try running through the steps provided below, in order:

1. Navigate to File...
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    I hope to hear more from you after these steps have been attempted.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Scott_K
    Scott_K Member ✭✭
    Thanks Jared.
    So I've been keeping my Quickbooks file in OneDrive folder for what seems like forever (many, many years).
    But following your advice, I moved the file to a newly created folder (C:\users\scott\.Quicken)
    I first tried running Quicken normally (not as administrator) - went to open the file from the new location, and Quicken crashed again.
    Waited 30 seconds'ish and then ran Quicken again as administrator, opened the file in the new location (C:\users\scott\.Quicken)
    Ran the Super Validation you suggested. Here's the output:
    ------------------------------
    [Sun May 08 11:37:51 2022]

File: "C:\Users\scott\.Quicken\Scott Quicken Data 2022a"

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Sun May 08 11:38:01 2022]
    1 scheduled transactions corrected
    Maximum security reference: 156, number of securities: 156.
    No out-of-range security references found.

Super validation has completed.

Waited many minutes, to create this response, and launched Quicken as a non-admin -- and, Quicken crashes again trying to open the file in the new location.

I'm going to try opening the file on my Wife's computer and see what happens. Will also try creating a new WIn10 VM w/ all updates, and see what that results in.
  • elisheva
    elisheva Member
    I had this same problem and support couldn't help me at all - they were worried about my firewall. I opened Quicken running as admin, and now I can get to my file!

I have been using Quicken for almost 30 years, but I may have to switch.
  • elisheva
    elisheva Member
    Thanks so much for your post! It was a big help!
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    edited May 8
    Scott_K said:
    Thanks Jared.
    So I've been keeping my Quickbooks file in OneDrive folder for what seems like forever (many, many years).
    But following your advice, I moved the file to a newly created folder (C:\users\scott\.Quicken)
    I first tried running Quicken normally (not as administrator) - went to open the file from the new location, and Quicken crashed again.
    Waited 30 seconds'ish and then ran Quicken again as administrator, opened the file in the new location (C:\users\scott\.Quicken)
    Ran the Super Validation you suggested. Here's the output:
    [Sun May 08 11:37:51 2022]

File: "C:\Users\scott\.Quicken\Scott Quicken Data 2022a"

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Sun May 08 11:38:01 2022]
    1 scheduled transactions corrected
    Maximum security reference: 156, number of securities: 156.
    No out-of-range security references found.

Super validation has completed.

Waited many minutes, to create this response, and launched Quicken as a non-admin -- and, Quicken crashes again trying to open the file in the new location.

I'm going to try opening the file on my Wife's computer and see what happens. Will also try creating a new WIn10 VM w/ all updates, and see what that results in.
    @Scott_K,  

I appreciate your response with so much information about what is happening, and for continuing to work with me on this issue.. Thank you for answering my question about the data file location, as well. I am sorry that this problem is continuing, for now.

First, I would like to note that while it may seem to be the case that storing the data file in that location was not correlated to any issues, the Quicken Community has consistently and strongly recommended that users avoid storing active data files in locations such as these and operating them from there. This has been known to cause erratic program behavior and even data damage.

One option left is to copy the data file. Please note so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect up all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward as the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

If you wish to proceed, please follow the steps provided below:

Navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below). These will allow you to select a date range to move forward with.

I hope this is helpful, and I am eager to hear your reply. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared  
  • Scott_K
    Scott_K Member ✭✭
    Hi Jared.
    I followed these steps. I put the new copy into c:\users\scott\Quicken
    Quit Quicken. Renamed the original file.
    Started Quicken normally (non-admin).
    Selected the new copy file (C:\users\scott\QUicken\newfile.qdf)
    Quicken started to load the file, then crashed again.

When Quicken crashes, you can see that its trying to create the screen framework/UI. My file is set to open the dashboard, which I think is the default view. Note that I keep clicking send error report each time it crashes. At some point, your telemetry should start seeing something.
  • irasend1
    irasend1 Member ✭✭
    I'm having exactly the same issue. Luckily I have a second computer that is still running 39.xx and I have not taken the update, and it still runs ok. There is another discussion on the list dealing with this as well. I would suggest that you go back to an older version and not accept the updates
  • Scott_K
    Scott_K Member ✭✭
    @irasend1 -- thats the problem, because I haven't found a way to get the v39 specific one to download. THe installer automatically downloads the latest updates.
  • Scott_K
    Scott_K Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Jared -- So I built a new win10 VM & downloaded all the updates (until windows update was showing no more updates, after each reboot).
    I copied my "existing" QDF file to the VM & placed it in c:\users\pcuser1\documents
    Downloaded & Installed Quicken (shows R40.21)
    Ran quicken (signed in as well)
    Selected my QDF file
    Quicken opened just fine
  • Scott_K
    Scott_K Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    well, this is interesting. poking around in the dump file & what is being sent back Quicken when it crashes. I find these things in the .dmp file::
    A c c e s s t o t h e p a t h ' C : \ U s e r s \ s c o t t \ A p p D a t a \ L o c a l \ T e m p \ W P F \ t u t 2 g s e k . 1 k z ' i s d e n i e d

F a i l e d t o c r e a t e a ' C u r s o r ' f r o m t h e t e x t ' / Q u i c k e n F e a t u r e s ; c o m p o n e n t / D a s h b o a r d / R e s o u r c e s / C u r s o r s / g r a b . c u r '
    P r o v i d e v a l u e o n ' S y s t e m . W i n d o w s . M a r k u p . S t a t i c R e s o u r c e H o l d e r ' t h r e w a n e x c e p t i o n .
  • Scott_K
    Scott_K Member ✭✭
    well... hrm.
    So on a whim, I added an ACL to the folder path "C:\users\scott\appdata\local\temp\wpf" giving my user account Full Controll
    open cmd as administrator
    c:
    cd "C:\users\scott\appdata\local\temp" (for anyone else, you'd have to put in your username)
    ran icacls WPF ( to see the results)
    ---------------
    C:\Users\scott\AppData\Local\Temp>icacls wpf
    wpf BUILTIN\Administrators:(F)
    NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(F)
    NT AUTHORITY\LogonSessionId_0_1118935:(RX)

Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files
    ---------------
    So I thought, why not just give my user account explicit NTFS file permissions on the folder WPF
    ---------------
    C:\Users\scott\AppData\Local\Temp>icacls WPF /grant scott:(F)
    processed file: WPF
    ---------------
    Then, check the results
    ----------------
    C:\Users\scott\AppData\Local\Temp>icacls wpf
    wpf RIVENDELL\scott:(F)
    BUILTIN\Administrators:(F)
    NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(F)
    NT AUTHORITY\LogonSessionId_0_1118935:(RX)

Ok.

So now, I launched Quicken (non-admin), and behold - Quicken opened w/o crashing.

So now, i'm wondering how the NTFS file permissions on that WPF folder in my home folder path got changed?!?! The rest of the folders have "better?" permissions - at least my user account can access the folders.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8 Answer ✓
    Good sleuthing, @Scott_K . I would guess from my limited knowledge that having Quicken open to the Dashboard requires something from WPF. I looked at my own (empty) temp\WPF directory and its permissions were normal, but its modified timestamp coincided with my most recent Quicken run.
    For future reference, to revert to an older version, first set UAC to not allow updates unless you approve them. Then go to http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-info.html where you can download the base QW2018, and also download the mondo patch for the QWin release you want.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Scott_K
    Scott_K Member ✭✭
    @Rocket J Squirrel
    Thanks for that on how to revert to an older version! That could come in handy!

@Quicken Jared
    From a support perspective for other users, the easiest(?!) option would be to have the user try deleting the "C:\users\<username>\appdata\local\temp\WPF" folder, or add their username to give it full control.. Of course, after doing all the QDF file checks & making sure the file is good.
    If you look back at one of my earlier posts, you'll see that Quicken crashed when trying to create & open a brand new file. In hindsight, this would point to there's something else wrong. And even after un-installing & re-installing Quicken, I had the same issue.