R40.21 for Windows keeps Freezing

Since the most recent update, my Quicken Deluxe for Windows freezes every time I try to go to the "Bills & Income" tab.
Any help?

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @randytriplett,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this problem, though we apologize that you are experiencing this

We have seen that some users who are using Carbonite or another form of online/cloud-based backup service are experiencing slowness or freezing with the Bills and Income tab. We've escalated this issue and have been investigating a resolution.

If you do use Carbonite or another cloud-based backup tool, please try disabling this, ensure that your data is being stored locally (C: Drive), and see if this resolves the issue.

Please check back and let us know! Thank you.
    -Quicken Anja
  • randytriplett
    randytriplett Member ✭✭
    Thanks. I do not use Carbonite or any other form of online/cloud based backup system. Quicken is installed on my C:Drive. Where exactly should my data file be located?
    "Freezing" is more precisely what is happening, as in when I try to open the "Bills & Incomes" tab, it locks up and I get a spinning cursor, but nothing else happens and I am forced to quit the program.
  • randytriplett
    randytriplett Member ✭✭
    edited May 11
    Since my last reply, I have also tried to open Quicken Deluxe in Safe Mode, (Windows 10.) The results are the same. The program freezes when I try to open the Bills & Incomes tab. Everything else functions normally, including online updates.
    This has been happening since the R40.21 update.
  • whodiini
    whodiini Member ✭✭
    I had the same problem. But it freezes just opening Quicken up. This is what I try these days when Quicken hangs after an update. An the updates keep coming fairly rapidly.
    1) Restore from a backup
    2) Run validate
    3) Log out of your account and log back in.
    4) Not fixed yet? Run supervalidate.
    5) Remove all of quicken and reinstall from scratch, go back to step 1.
    6) This usually does the trick until the next update.
  • randytriplett
    randytriplett Member ✭✭
    > @whodiini said:
    > I had the same problem. But it freezes just opening Quicken up. This is what I try these days when Quicken hangs after an update. An the updates keep coming fairly rapidly.
    > 1) Restore from a backup
    > 2) Run validate
    > 3) Log out of your account and log back in.
    > 4) Not fixed yet? Run supervalidate.
    > 5) Remove all of quicken and reinstall from scratch, go back to step 1.
    > 6) This usually does the trick until the next update.

Wow, thanks! I've been using Quicken in one form or another for more than 20 years but I had never even seen the Validate command.

I jumped straight to Validate and that corrected the freezing issue completely. Now I can close and open the program and no problem at all going to the Bills & Income tab. Works like it used to.
    I am very relieved.

Cheers, @whodiini !
    :)
  • whodiini
    whodiini Member ✭✭
    Glad it worked. I will need to edit my instructions. Right now, I am validating my file and quicken freezes on validation. When Quicken crashes - for me, several times a day lately, it sometimes corrupts either the data file or the application, requiring a complete deletion and reinstall of quicken. And I have been using Quicken since 1992.
  • whodiini
    whodiini Member ✭✭
    Quicken used to have a very robust way to handle data file errors. You export a QIF (text data file) of your entire data and reimport it. If the import account values dont match, you edit the text file until it does. That got rid of ALL the data file errors. But Quicken decided to remove that possibility and their only option is validate, which does NOT remove all data file errors.
  • randytriplett
    randytriplett Member ✭✭
    > @whodiini said:
    > Glad it worked. I will need to edit my instructions. Right now, I am validating my file and quicken freezes on validation. When Quicken crashes - for me, several times a day lately, it sometimes corrupts either the data file or the application, requiring a complete deletion and reinstall of quicken. And I have been using Quicken since 1992.

I will consider myself lucky. Good luck to you, and thanks again!
    I seem to still be up and running smoothly.
    Cheers
  • randytriplett
    randytriplett Member ✭✭
    I spoke too soon... I've had freezes every time I use Quicken ever since that miraculous recovery. I've been in and removed or corrected every error found in the Validate log, but it still freezes and sometimes without going into the Bills & Income tab.
    Good news is I can still do my One Step Updates, but I'm back to square one on solving this.