Dashboard causing Quicken to crash the first time it's launched each morning

I'm a third-decade Quicken user with a large data file, on Windows 11. Starting approximately 6-8 weeks ago, Quicken would crash the first time I launched it each morning. It almost always started successfully when I retried it. I sent in literally dozens of error report logs to Quicken, figuring they'd patch it, but at least not so far. I supervalidated my data file - no problems.

It looked to me like it was trying to display the dashboard when it crashed, so I changed the default starting page to "My Money." The problem has not recurred after 5-10 days. Not only that, but subjectively Quicken seems to be running noticeably snappier. So SOMETHING about dashboard DEFINITELY caused the morning crash problems. And, as a possible bonus, I may be getting better performance as well by staying away from dashboard.

Just posting this in case anyone else is having this sort of issue.
Tagged:

Comments

• irasend1
    irasend1 Member ✭✭
    Having the same issue for about the last three weeks
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    BrittMayo said:
    I'm a third-decade Quicken user with a large data file, on Windows 11. Starting approximately 6-8 weeks ago, Quicken would crash the first time I launched it each morning. It almost always started successfully when I retried it. I sent in literally dozens of error report logs to Quicken, figuring they'd patch it, but at least not so far. I supervalidated my data file - no problems.

It looked to me like it was trying to display the dashboard when it crashed, so I changed the default starting page to "My Money." The problem has not recurred after 5-10 days. Not only that, but subjectively Quicken seems to be running noticeably snappier. So SOMETHING about dashboard DEFINITELY caused the morning crash problems. And, as a possible bonus, I may be getting better performance as well by staying away from dashboard.

Just posting this in case anyone else is having this sort of issue.
    Hello @BrittMayo,     

I do apologize about this issue with crashes and slow performance when making use of the Dashboard. Thank you for bringing this matter to the Quicken Community.

First, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Quicken? You can view the proper steps for uninstallation in the Support Article linked here, and the steps for reinstallation in this article.

I look forward to hearing back from you about your results.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared

• irasend1
    irasend1 Member ✭✭
    I have attempted multiple reinstalls without any improvement. Interestingly, I can open Quicken as an administrator and create the dashboard page, which speaks to me of a permissions problem creating the dashboard. Must be something in the formatting of the dashboard view, but not sure what.
  • Quicken Jared
    irasend1 said:
    I have attempted multiple reinstalls without any improvement. Interestingly, I can open Quicken as an administrator and create the dashboard page, which speaks to me of a permissions problem creating the dashboard. Must be something in the formatting of the dashboard view, but not sure what.
    Hello @irasend1

I am sorry to hear that these problems seem to continue even after uninstalling and reinstalling the program. Thank you for bringing me more information about the issue you are experiencing.

Have you also attempted restarting your computer when these crashes occur? Are you still receiving the same message? If so, I recommend reaching out to Quicken Support with the contact information provided in this link. They may be better able to document and troubleshoot this crashing error with the tools available to them. 

I hope that is helpful.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • irasend1
    irasend1 Member ✭✭
    Contacted support. Less than helpful. Basically he said if you can open the dashboard as an administrator do that. Feels it may be a Windows issue and to contact Windows support :-(
  • Quicken Jared
    irasend1 said:
    Contacted support. Less than helpful. Basically he said if you can open the dashboard as an administrator do that. Feels it may be a Windows issue and to contact Windows support :-(
    Hello @irasend1

I am sorry that you were unable to find satisfactory resolution in your discussion with Quicken Support. Thank you for taking the opportunity to check back in with us and inform us about the situation as it unfolds. 

It does sound as though security settings particular to the Windows OS are involved, and I hope that you are able to reach out to us once again after you have inquired with their support teams.

Feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared