Phantom transfers occurring in real life

In the past 2 days, 3 transfers for $9000 each have occurred from my B of A savings to checking. Neither Mrs. Squirrel nor I initiated these transfers. After an hour on the phone with 3 different B of A representatives, there is no clue how these transfers were initiated.
I do sometimes make $9000 transfers, but never 3 within 2 days. If I wanted to transfer $27,000, I would do that in a single transfer.
The bank could find no point of origin for these transfers. I am wondering whether there is any mechanism in Quicken which could have gone haywire and caused the transfers.
I can see the transfers coming down in the OFX log. I'm not sure where to look or what to look for to see if Quicken sent these transfers up to the bank.
The exact same thing happened once before back in December 2021.
Any ideas on where I could look to determine whether Quicken is responsible? I absolutely have no reminders/scheduled transactions which could be responsible for this.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If Quicken is doing it, there should be an entry in the OFX log.
    The request key is INTRARQ.

Here is part of a 500 transfer I just did as a test (Chase).

Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for that, @Chris_QPW . I do see such a thing in my OFX log. Is this for sure Q sending instructions to the bank?
    Unfortunately, this transfer is dated 20220411 and is an OXfr that I manually initiated. I can't find anything else that looks like Quicken is to blame.
    <INTRATRNRQ>
        <TRNUID>XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
        <INTRARQ>
        <XFERINFO>
            <BANKACCTFROM>
            <BANKID>XXXXX
            <ACCTID>XXXXX
            <ACCTTYPE>MONEYMRKT
            </BANKACCTFROM>
            <BANKACCTTO>
            <BANKID>XXXXX
            <ACCTID>XXXXX
            <ACCTTYPE>CHECKING
            </BANKACCTTO>
            <TRNAMT>9000
        </XFERINFO>
        </INTRARQ>
    </INTRATRNRQ>

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    It only just occurred to me to look in the Online Center. The April transfer is there, but so is one dated May 11 which I did not manually initiate. How I ended up with 3 identical transfers around the same time is puzzling.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The thing that jumps out at me looking at your Online Center is that both of the $9,000 transactions are exactly one month apart.  That looks like some kind of repeating transaction to me.

As far as this question goes:
    Thanks for that, @Chris_QPW . I do see such a thing in my OFX log. Is this for sure Q sending instructions to the bank?

I can definitely say that if Quicken sends the request you will get that entry in the OFX log.

I don't believe that you will get one if it is initiated from your financial institution.  At least I have done quite a few transfers in the Chase App and never seen them show up as any kind of entry in the OFX log or the Online Center.  With bill pay I think it is different where it will sync them back down.  At least it did way back when I was with Wells Fargo 20 years ago.

I'm far from any kind of expert on this since I don't use this feature.  I just did the transfer as a test for you.  If I look at the OFX specification though I think the sync back for anything would be a completely different set of request codes.

Signature:
  • Damian
    Damian Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Rocket J Squirrel  do you use online billpay through your bank?  Could a recurring transfer be set up there?  
    (Quicken Premier Subscription R40.21 on Windows 11 Pro)
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited May 13
    I do use online bill pay, but I have no repeating transfers unless Q created one and is hiding it from me. :#
    I'm starting to suspect that my habit of testing new Q releases on a second PC is a bad habit. I make sure never to send instructions from my test PC, but I suppose it's possible I did so accidentally. It still doesn't explain the 3 transfers in rapid succession. It also doesn't explain how this exact same scenario played out last December.
    In the case below, I did make an OXfr on 12/17/21, but then the other 2 transfers appeared out of nowhere a business day later.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Very strange.  I really don't know what is going on.
    Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Chris_QPW said:
    Very strange.  I really don't know what is going on.
    One of the bank reps I spoke with today said she'd never seen such a thing in her 10 years of experience.
    My plan going forward is to quit making OXfrs from Q and make transfers only from the bank web site. I will also use different, less round, dollar amounts and see if that leaves a trail.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    That sounds like a good plan.

BTW one wild guess that came to me would go something like this.
    Say you sent a transfer and Quicken thought it didn't go through, but in fact the financial institution did do it.  Then Quicken might repeat the request.
    Signature:
  • Damian
    Damian Member ✭✭✭✭
    Another very wild guess - There is another instance of Quicken set up on another computer with transfer transactions set up with a future date that gets invoked when an OSU is done on or after that date. 
    (Quicken Premier Subscription R40.21 on Windows 11 Pro)
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Damian said:
    Another very wild guess - There is another instance of Quicken set up on another computer with transfer transactions set up with a future date that gets invoked when an OSU is done on or after that date. 
    A reasonable guess. I quit beta testing because of unwanted side effects on my production Quicken, which I can't discuss out here in the wild 😝. But I do still gamma test on PC#2, trying to be careful not to do what you describe.
  • GreatDrivr
    GreatDrivr Member
    Quicken has randomly duplicated/triplicated transactions on me for the better part of a year, if not longer. It's nothing new. And these usually have one of two outcomes.

I used to immediately delete the duplicate(s)... Until I found it'd sometimes then delete ALL instances of that transaction, sending me chasing my tail when I try to reconcile.

Sometimes, I'd close quicken, re-open, & the duplicates are gone, leaving only the single original transaction w/ no further intervention from me.

In cases where the duplicate/triplicate entries still showed after closing/reopening, then I'd delete the extra entries.

I NEVER initiate transactions through Quicken, as I don't even remotely trust the platform to do anything correct... Bad enough it's literally incapable of reliably receiving manual & downloaded entries & displaying them correctly.

Validation, SuperValidation, Uninstall, Reinstall, Brand new data files, nothing reliably fixes it.

Validation also CONSISTENTLY & RANDOMLY changes/purges transactions. Good luck figuring out what it did, as the summary is 1000% useless. "Repaired one scheduled transaction" is as useful as it gets.

Let's just call it what it is, financial software like this should not leave a user wondering & frankly paranoid about the integrity of the system & the data within... Nobody should be afraid to use it, wondering what in the world it'll screw up next. And when it does take the liberty to change something on your behalf, how about the system actually TELL YOU with USEFULL DETAILS what it actually did!?!?!?!?

I miss MS Money, I'm only on quicken because MS Money was discontinued.

Fix your crap, Intuit, you, your software, & your support is a joke beyond all jokes.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @GreatDrivr in @Rocket J Squirrel's case these are actually real-world transfers that are happening, not just fake duplicate ones in Quicken.

Note in your case, my first question would be if you are using sync to Mobile/Web.  And if you are you should try turning it off and see if that makes a difference.

And for what it worth, I have never seen either of these problems in my data file(s).  And @Rocket J Squirrel's problem with real-world transfers is the very first time I have ever heard of anyone having this problem.
    Signature: