R40.21 screwed up Net Worth Report

Ver R40.21, Build 27.1.40.21, WIN 10 Enterprise, Premier subscription. Opened Quicken today and net worth report has ridiculous amounts, affecting one account, IRAs, which I had updated this week. How do I go back to previous release of Quicken and how do I tell which backup was before the bad release?

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @GalinAZ,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

To start with, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate
    1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine
  • GalinAZ
    GalinAZ Member
    Thank you for the suggestion. When I ran the basic Validate File, the log file had a list of suggested transactions to correct. Should I correct these before running the Super Validate?
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @GallinAZ,

Yes, I would resolve the errors found using the "Validate File" function and see if your error was resolved before moving on to attempting the super-validation of your file. 

I hope this helps!
    -Quicken Jasmine
  • GalinAZ
    GalinAZ Member
    Correcting transactions and running validation didn't fix problem - this appears to be related to some paycheck transactions from 2011 which appear as errors and which I've read the recent releases have been creating errors with paychecks. Do I need to fall back to a backup before R40.21 or further?
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @GalinAZ,

Thank you for updating me, I am sorry to hear that those troubleshooting steps did not resolve the issue. 

Yes, you may restore from a backup that was created before the update. This backup will have the words, "pre-update" within the name. You may follow this link for more information regarding restoring from backups. Please keep in mind that it is recommended to save a backup before proceeding with troubleshooting steps in the event that you would like to return to your original starting position. 

Let me know how it goes!
    -Quicken Jasmine
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello @GalinAZ,

Thank you for updating me, I am sorry to hear that those troubleshooting steps did not resolve the issue. 

Yes, you may restore from a backup that was created before the update. This backup will have the words, "pre-update" within the name. You may follow this link for more information regarding restoring from backups. Please keep in mind that it is recommended to save a backup before proceeding with troubleshooting steps in the event that you would like to return to your original starting position. 

Let me know how it goes!
    The automatic backups Quicken saves before applying an update do not have the words, "pre-update" within the name.  The backup will contain the release you were using at the time.  For example, we were running R39.23 when we decided to upgrade to R40.21 on Sunday and Quicken save a backup named QData-R-39.23-2022-5-15.QDF-backup
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @Sherlock,

Thank you for providing the proper information regarding what a pre-update backup title will include. 

I apologize for having misspoken on the matter. 
    -Quicken Jasmine
  • R.C.Hess
    R.C.Hess Member
    I have the same problem. Same build as GalinAZ above. Includes problems with long closed accounts - e.g. a long closed checking account slowly accumulates a negative balance over an interval of years in the net worth report despite no transactions.
    Will try the validates suggested above.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Hello @R.C.Hess,

Thank you for joining this thread and for letting us know that you are also experiencing this issue. 

Let us know how the validate/super validate functions go!

Looking forward to hearing your response!
    -Quicken Jasmine
  • GalinAZ
    GalinAZ Member
    My backups do not have the name of the release, just [filename]-datetime.QDF-backup. When I attempt to restore from a backup it tells me their are no automatic backups until it has been automatically backed up the first time. I've searched PC and backup hard drives for any QDF files with the release name.
    So, if I use a previous backup from the "every 3rd time its open" option for backing up, which version of the software will it use?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    GalinAZ said:
    My backups do not have the name of the release, just [filename]-datetime.QDF-backup. When I attempt to restore from a backup it tells me their are no automatic backups until it has been automatically backed up the first time. I've searched PC and backup hard drives for any QDF files with the release name.
    So, if I use a previous backup from the "every 3rd time its open" option for backing up, which version of the software will it use?
    Quicken attempts to save the backup of the open Quicken file to the automatic backup folder before applying an update from within Quicken.  If you have a different Quicken file open when you update or updated by downloading and applying the patch, Quicken would not have the opportunity to save the release backup for the Quicken file.

When you open, restore, or save a Quicken file backup, the version of Quicken used always the version of Quicken you have installed at the time.
  • GalinAZ
    GalinAZ Member
    Thanks Sherlock. So, is there a way to tell when an update was applied to my Quicken Premiere subscription, some record of when the updates were done? If I can figure that out, I can go back to the backup I have before the R40.21 release.

The Verification process reports several 2017 paycheck plit transactions as being damaged, making me think this is related to the problem initially reported with the R39 releases.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16
    GalinAZ said:
    Thanks Sherlock. So, is there a way to tell when an update was applied to my Quicken Premiere subscription, some record of when the updates were done? If I can figure that out, I can go back to the backup I have before the R40.21 release.

The Verification process reports several 2017 paycheck plit transactions as being damaged, making me think this is related to the problem initially reported with the R39 releases.
    The Quicken version used is stamped in the Cloud Sync Log when we open a Quicken file.  If the you still have sufficient log available, you should be able to locate when you last used the prior version: select Help > Log Files or Help > Contact Support > Log Files, Cloud Sync Log, and search for messages with: [app-version]
  • R.C.Hess
    R.C.Hess Member
    This is a follow-up on my comment from 5/16.
    1) I ran the validates. There were no issues.
    2) I restored a backup from 2/21/2022. It produced correct net worth reports.
    3) I didn't include in my earlier comment that the reports I had trouble with were long-standing custom saved reports. They continue to have problems, but creating new reports starting with a new standard Net Worth report then customizing them results in correct reports.
    This suggests that, perhaps, old saved reports might differ slightly from the current save-report file structure so that current Quicken software doesn't process the saved custom reports the same way it used to.
    4) In drilling-down to find possible issues with how Quicken was handling my saved reports, I found that at least two reporting errors arose from missing hidden-category entries in split transactions with both not-hidden and hidden categories. Both missing transactions were credits.

In any case, my solution for this problem is to rebuild custom reports from the current template reports - in my case the "Net Worth" report.
  • GalinAZ
    GalinAZ Member
    This is a follow-up comment on my problem that initiated this thread.
    I did not have to go back to a previous backup nor did I have to undo a Quicken update.

I ran the basic verify step as suggested and while it identified transactions with issues that I corrected it didn't fix the net worth problem. I narrowed the problem down to one recently entered investment transaction. When I deleted that transaction, the Net Worth report appeared correct.

I then ran another Verify with the "Rebuild investment lots" and "Repair Price History" and "Verify" all together (all 3 checked) and they reported less problems and no problems with price history.

So, I then took R.C. Hess's suggestion and deleted custom version of the Net Worth report and then re-entered the "bad" investment transaction. Finally, my Net Worth report is correct again.

I'm not sure what fixed the issue since I didn't keep strict track of the sequence of actions I took, but the combination seems to have corrected things.