Transactions from Wells Fargo Advisors are downloading into multiple Quicken Accounts

BritinMo
BritinMo Member ✭✭
When I perform a one-step update, I'm seeing every transaction conducted by Wells Fargo Advisors (WFA) in every WFA-related Quicken account. For example, if WFA sell shares in company A in account 1, I'm seeing the identical transaction appear in accounts 1, 2 and 3 etc in Quicken. Has anyone else seen this?

I'm using the subscription version of Quicken with all the latest updates, and using the recommended connection method by the online access wizard. The WFA accounts are new so I have no previous experience downloading from WFA, but do not experience this with any other accounts.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    BritinMo said:
    When I perform a one-step update, I'm seeing every transaction conducted by Wells Fargo Advisors (WFA) in every WFA-related Quicken account. For example, if WFA sell shares in company A in account 1, I'm seeing the identical transaction appear in accounts 1, 2 and 3 etc in Quicken. Has anyone else seen this?

I'm using the subscription version of Quicken with all the latest updates, and using the recommended connection method by the online access wizard. The WFA accounts are new so I have no previous experience downloading from WFA, but do not experience this with any other accounts.
    Hello @BritinMo,   

I am sorry to hear about this issue with incorrect transactions appearing in your accounts. Thank you for inquiring about this here on the Quicken Community. 

First, navigate to the Account List and then click the Settings button denoted by the 'gear' icon associated with one of the affected accounts. Next, navigate to the Downloads tab in the window that appears; do this for each account, and confirm that the Account Number and Routing Number (if and when this appears) are displaying correctly for each of them. 

Next, navigate to File > Show "(Current Data File name will be listed here)" in Finder in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. Is your data file located on your computer? Make sure that it is not being saved in an external drive or cloud-based storage service, as these can cause issues with erratic behavior and even data damage.

I look forward to hearing back from you after these details have been investigated using the steps above. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • BritinMo
    BritinMo Member ✭✭
    Hello @Jared,

Thanks for your suggestions. When I look in the "Settings" menu associated with one of the accounts, I'm not seeing the "Downloads" option. I did right-click on each account in the account list, and confirmed in the Account Details dialog box that the account numbers are correct (only the last 4 are shown, but these are correct).

My Quicken file is stored in my OneDrive account (in the personal vault), and has been for more than a year. Previously all the accounts at Wells Fargo were with another brokerage, and did not experience this issue. I also have some bank accounts with the same bank, and they are not experiencing this issue either. It seems localized to the new accounts with Wels Fargo Advisors.

(I'm currently using Version R40.21Build 27.1.40.21 For Windows 10 Enterprise)

Thanks again.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    BritinMo said:
    Hello @Jared,

Thanks for your suggestions. When I look in the "Settings" menu associated with one of the accounts, I'm not seeing the "Downloads" option. I did right-click on each account in the account list, and confirmed in the Account Details dialog box that the account numbers are correct (only the last 4 are shown, but these are correct).

My Quicken file is stored in my OneDrive account (in the personal vault), and has been for more than a year. Previously all the accounts at Wells Fargo were with another brokerage, and did not experience this issue. I also have some bank accounts with the same bank, and they are not experiencing this issue either. It seems localized to the new accounts with Wels Fargo Advisors.

(I'm currently using Version R40.21Build 27.1.40.21 For Windows 10 Enterprise)

Thanks again.
    Hello @BritinMo,         

I am sorry to hear that the issue remains. Thank you for bringing me so many new details, and for answering those questions from my previous comment. 

I do recommend keeping your data file on your computer, and saving it locally, as erratic behavior and even data damage have been associated with saving data files to external drives or a cloud-based storage service. Once you have moved your data file to a location on your computer, I recommend saving a backup by going to File > Save a Backup... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, while Quicken is open. This should be done frequently as it is useful in a wide variety of contexts, especially when it is necessary to restore a backup.

Next, make sure that you have backups saved to your local computer, as well. You can do this by navigating to File > Show backups in Finder in the upper menu, mentioned previously. If necessary, move these backups to your computer, then restore from a backup by going to File > Restore from Backup... Try to select a backup saved just prior to when you first noticed these issues emerging, if possible. I am curious whether or not these issues continue in a restored backup file. 

Let us know about your results.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • BritinMo
    BritinMo Member ✭✭
    Good afternoon Jared,
    I was able to find an archived copy of the Quicken file from shortly before the Wells Fargo accounts were created, so did as you suggested and created a local copy of the file, then backed it and restored the backup to create a clean version of the file on my hard drive. I then added the Wells Fargo accounts by clicking on the "+" icon to add an account, and entering my credentials under the "Connected Account" tab. Quicken found all the accounts I had, and their nickname, and I let Quicken setup the various accounts. I saw two things occur:
    1. For some accounts all the transactions for all the accounts were loaded into the account (the original issue).
    2. For several accounts, no transactions were loaded - even though there are transactions showing in the Wells Fargo portal.
    (No account was correctly populated)

Regards,

BritinMo
  • BritinMo
    BritinMo Member ✭✭
    Good morning @Jared,
    This morning I created a new Quicken file on my hard drive with no previous accounts from any institution and no prior transactions. I then setup the Wells Fargo accounts the same way as last night (using the "Connected Accounts" option). All of the accounts were populated will all of the transactions, just like the initial issue.
    BritinMO
  • @Britinmo - When you create these WF Advisors accounts how are you pairing up the accounts with WFA with the accounts in Quicken?  I have several accounts with WF Advisors myself and I know how it can get very confusing as to which account goes to which.
  • BritinMo
    BritinMo Member ✭✭
    Hi @Damian,
    The accounts are new at Wells Fargo; I tried setting up the accounts manually then pairing the accounts based on the account numbers and could do so fairly easily. In the last set of tests I've not paired the accounts with an existing Quicken account, but have let Quicken create the accounts based on the info it finds after logging into the Wells Fargo site.
    In both approaches, Quicken is finding all the accounts at Wells Fargo as discrete accounts, and lists them as separate accounts in the setup wizard, but is importing all the data from all the accounts into every Quicken account. Instead of establishing a 1:1 relationship between the account in Quicken and the one in Wells Fargo it is establishing a 1:many relationship for each Quicken account during the setup process. (I don't believe it is possible for users to setup this 1:many relationship, since once an online account is associated with a Quicken account it is no longer displayed in the drop-down list of available accounts to pair).
    BritinMo
  • @BritinMo - I am not a Mac user, but I know how difficult it can be to set up WFA accounts as they only show account numbers and not names.  But, the behavior you describe is odd.  The only other thing to try, if you haven't done so already, is to deactivate all of the WFA online connections and try establishing the connections going the other way via Web Connect.  After deactivating all your WFA connections in Quicken, go into your Wells Fargo online account->Brokerage->Portfolio->Account Download->Quicken, and then checkmark all of the accounts you want to connect with Quicken and hit "Download".  A dialog box will come up for each account asking you to match it up with an account in Quicken.  If you have a lot of accounts I would suggest having a list ready showing which account numbers go with which account on Quicken.  This is the only other thing I can think of to suggest.  If you continue to have issues I am hopeful a Mac user would be able to give some additional insight.
  • BritinMN
    BritinMN Member
    @Damian - Thanks, I was able to download the file from Wells Fargo advisors and when it was imported it correctly updated the accounts in Quicken. I'll go through the update process again in a week or so, after there have been some transactions, to make sure the data continues to be correctly associated. BritinMo
  • You are welcome, and seems like you have a good plan.  My experience with Wells Fargo and Quicken is that once you establish a connection with direct connect it is very stable.
This discussion has been closed.