Add ability to edit quick fill in register

When I enter a few letters in the Payee field, Quicken offers a list of quickfill options along with categories
Some of these I have because I made some mistakes while entering the name or the related category, or are old entries I do not use anymore

and some quickfill lists are too long I have to scroll through lots of them

There is no way to delete those (as far as I know)

There must be a databse somewhere in Quicken where those quickfill lists are stored, so adding an ability to edit that list would be helpful
1 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

Gilles9 said:
    There is no way to delete those (as far as I know). There must be a database somewhere in Quicken where those quickfill lists are stored, so adding an ability to edit that list would be helpful.

Indeed, you can easily delete QuickFill rules. QuickFill rules are accessible from Windows > Payees & Rules > QuickFill Rules. You can select one or more of the rules in the list and click the minus sign icon to delete them.

Well, "easily" is debatable, since you need to go the the menu, pull down to open a support window, click on a tab, and find the Payee in question. I created an Idea post suggesting a shortcut to editing QuickFill rules via a Control-click on a transaction. I'd encourage you to vote for it if you would find that functionality helpful. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Gilles9
    Gilles9 Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2022
    I should have say Payee list, where it is impossible to delete a payee if used in a register, I can try to make it "Hidden" but some not categorized remain
    Anyway 

Thank you I cleared some so it should help
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2022
    Yes, you can't delete a Payee if it's in use in any transaction. I think this is a good protection, because otherwise you'd have transactions in register with "unknown" or "deleted" as the Payee. 

Making a Payee Hidden will not change existing transactions using the Payee in the register — which is good — but it will prevent the Payee from showing up in the dropdown list as you're typing a new transaction. I think this may be at least part of what you're looking to accomplish.

There are other things you can do to "clean up" old Payees if you want. You could create a Payee called "Deleted" or "Old" or whatever you want, and then merge as many Payees in your Payee list as you want into this one Payee, and delete any QuickFill rules from this Payee.

In your post just above, you mentioned "uncategorized" -- but Categories are independent of Payees, so I'm not sure if your concern is uncategorized transactions? You can search for Uncategorized transactions and edit them individually or in bulk to apply a proper category. 

Sometimes when I'm entering a transaction, I notice a misspelled version of the Payee name in the dropdown list. I usually try to stop at that moment and take a few seconds to merge the two Payees into the one that's spelled correctly, so I won't see multiple variants of the Payee in the future.

It takes some time to clean up Payees, but if you do it a little at a time, it gets better over time. (I've never sat down and tried to go through my whole Payee list to do a big clean-up; I have about 4,700 Payees, and it would take too long and be too annoying to try to go through them all at once. You could do some clean-up in smaller chunks by doing one letter of the alphabet at a time, but that won't necessarily catch everything you may want to merge together. If you have, for example, "New York Times" and "The New York Times" as Payees, or "Senator Bob Smith" and "Bob Smith Campaign Fund" as Payees, going through the list alphabetically won't reveal those duplicates. But if you start typing a transaction for "Bob S" and see both variants in your pop-up list, it's a good idea to pause and merge those two Payees to clean up your database. If you make it a habit to do these little clean-up merges when you spot the duplicate variants, over time, you'll find you have to do it less frequently because you have fewer duplicates remaining in your Payee list.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Gilles9
    Gilles9 Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    Thanks
    Merging may do it, yes it will take sone times