Use Notes to build a report

Randy 415
Randy 415 Windows Beta Beta
I sometimes will enter notes into my transactions. And sometimes, those notes might be a sort-of make-shift category or Tag. For example, I might add a note like "Wedding supplies". And I might have several of these transactions. Then at the end of the month, I want to create a report and add them all up. I don't get married every year, so I don't want to go thru the process of adding categories, tags, etc, for a very short-term use reason.
But I would like to run a report whereby in the Notes field, I find the word "Wedding". Perhaps similar to the "Payee" field in reports.
2 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Memo field can be customized in reports to include specified text.  Would that handle your need?
    Quicken Premier Subscription, Windows 11 Home
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is what I use Tags for since they can be used in conjunction with any Category.  They make gathering up all the costs for a given travel event easy whether it is fuel, lodging, eats or entertainment.
    -splasher  using Q continuously since 1996 -  Subscription Quicken  -  Win11
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Randy 415
    Bob_L -- yes. How?

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Customize the report.  The select the categories tab.  Over on the right side there should be a text box for Memo contains where you enter the text to filter on,as I remember, in quotes.  Pushing the context sensitive button there will also give examples of different ways to set up that filter.

Edit.  You enter it like this:  =wedding.  (Not in quotes as I said above).
    Quicken Premier Subscription, Windows 11 Home
  • Randy 415
    Wow. Did not even know that was there. Great. Works well. Thanks!