Reconcile old Transactions (Q Mac)

JayH
JayH Member ✭✭
In Quicken for Windows when you go to reconcile, the panel shows the unreconciled recent transactions and also any older or much older unreconciled transactions in the same view. This makes it easy to include the older unreconciled transactions if it makes sense to do so. In Quicken for Mac, I don't see the older unreconciled transactions in the same panel and I have to look for them separately. If I am using Quicken for Mac correctly, then Quicken for Mac should be modified to behave the same way as Quicken for Windows in reconciliation.
Tagged:
1 votes

Already Offered · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2022
    When you open a reconcile window, you should be seeing all unreconciled transactions up to the ending date you specify. It doesn't matter if they occurred yesterday or three years ago; any unreconciled transaction appears in the window.  I'm not sure what you mean that you have to look for them separately.

It sounds like you're saying this isn't the case for you. It would help if you could share some additional information for anyone here to try to help you. Screen shots of the reconcile startup window (where you enter the ending date and balance), the reconcile window, and transactions which are unreconciled but missing from he reconcile window would help. Since it can be tricky to redact personal information for posting here, another option is for you to contact Quicken Support (after the holiday weekend), because a phone support representative can screen share your Quicken to see what you're seeing and help you with it. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • JayH
    JayH Member ✭✭
    Jacobs: Thanks for your quick response.

In the Mac version, when you go to reconcile it is true that you do see all unreconciled transactions including the recent ones. But to view the unreconciled transactions from long ago, you have to scroll though all the earlier transactions to find the ones that have not been reconciled.

In Quicken for Windows, however, when you go to reconcile, a separate Reconcile panel open on top of the Register panel which automatically selects only those transactions that have not been reconciled, no matter how long ago they were transacted. Then, you can place a check mark next to the recent transactions that you wanted to reconcile and you can decide whether or not to check the old transactions also. Usually, it turns out that if you choose to rectify the old transactions also, the online balance and the statement balance turn out to be zero.
  • jacobs
    JayH said:
    In Quicken for Windows, however, when you go to reconcile, a separate Reconcile panel open on top of the Register panel which automatically selects only those transactions that have not been reconciled, no matter how long ago they were transacted. Then, you can place a check mark next to the recent transactions that you wanted to reconcile and you can decide whether or not to check the old transactions also.
    This is exactly the same thing you should be seeing in Quicken Mac, in the Reconcile window. I'm confused at what you are actually seeing. You said:

JayH said:
    In the Mac version, when you go to reconcile it is true that you do see all unreconciled transactions including the recent ones. But to view the unreconciled transactions from long ago, you have to scroll though all the earlier transactions to find the ones that have not been reconciled.

In the reconcile window, you should only be seeing unreconciled transactions, from oldest to newest, up through the ending date you entered. (You can change the order of the transactions by click on the Date column heading; each click will sort transactions, switching between oldest-to-newest and newest-to-oldest. Are you seeing this? How does this differ from what you described in Quicken Windows. 
  • JayH
    JayH Member ✭✭
    Jacobs: You should actually look at Quicken for Windows if you can. In Quicken for Mac, you have to scroll though all your old transactions to find if there are any old transactions that are not reconciled. In Quicken for Windows, no scrolling is necessary because a special Reconcile Panel opens (on top of the scrollable list of transactions) which automatically selects ALL unreconciled transactions, now matter how old, for you to view and choose whether or not to check in this special Reconcile Panel.
  • jacobs
    I don't have access to a Windows computer. But what you keep saying about Quicken Mac just isn't correct.

When you open the Reconcile window, it shows only transactions which are not reconciled. It's a separate window which opens on top of the transaction register, just as you describe in Quicken Windows. I'm confused that what you're asking for from Quicken Windows sounds exactly like what exists in Quicken Mac.

Are you:
    1. clicking on Reconcile in the bottom menu bar or from the menu

2. entering an end date and balance on that date

3. clicking Next to go to the Reconcile window?
    In the window which opens, you are presented a list of all transactions which have not yet been reconciled, no matter how old. You shouldn't need to do much scrolling, unless you have many hundreds of unreconciled transactions. 
  • JayH
    JayH Member ✭✭
    Jacobs: Thanks for your detailed and appropriate explanation. I will review the behavior of both the Windows and the Mac version to review whether I have a valid suggestion or not.
  • JayH
    JayH Member ✭✭
    I apologize to the Community for not being sufficiently careful before making a recommendation. I will endeavor to be more precise in any future recommendations.
  • jacobs
    No need to apologize; one thing the site is good for is clearing up misunderstandings about using the software, or helping educate Quicken users on how a feature would be used. In this era when software manufacturers don't provide comprehensive documentation, and users have to use the online help, articles on the company website, and a forum like this just to figure out how to use software, it's easy to understand where misconceptions and errors in usage arise.

When you have a chance to try Quicken Mac reconciliation as I explained above, please post back if you are indeed seeing what you should: a list of only unreconciled transactions, exactly as you were asking for and as exists in Quicken Windows.
  • jlbaldwin
    jlbaldwin Member ✭✭
    Hopefully I can state this clearly. When I reconcile an account not all items listed in the register show up in the reconcile window-clearly because the date was not within my choice-so I changed it say from 6/1/22 to 5/31/22 and it used to then show up in the reconcile window but now it doesn't. Why? Bug in last software install? I tried adding items in reconcile window and then I get duplicates in register...so not a good solution. I like the way it used to work better. Help?
  • jlbaldwin
    jlbaldwin Member ✭✭
    Hopefully I can state this clearly. When I reconcile an account not all items listed in the register show up in the reconcile window-clearly because the date was not within my choice-so I changed it say from 6/1/22 to 5/31/22 and it used to then show up in the reconcile window but now it doesn't. Why? Bug in last software install? I tried adding items in reconcile window and then I get duplicates in register...so not a good solution. I like the way it used to work better. Help?
  • jlbaldwin
    jlbaldwin Member ✭✭