Quicken replacements that can use the Quicken data?

TD3
TD3 Member
Does anyone know other software that can use the quicken historical data? I can't handle the crashes, wiped out budgets, start up as new user, lack of customer supoort (I mean none- no responses). I have tried the data/file validation and repair file options. It seems like the only option is to wipe out all historical data.
The whole file is 0.3GB, which is tiny based on AutoCad files and SolidWorks files that I use on a very powerful computer.
If I can only have a year worth of data, I was thinking Mint or the Dave Ramsey software? Any feedback?

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    1. No other program can read a Quicken data file.  You can try exporting it as QIF and see how good another program can read that.
    2. You are on the wrong site to discuss a competitor's product.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • TD3
    TD3 Member
    I agree wrong site, but I have to make a call before the supscription renews (Premier V R41.10). It seems like the software is trying to be everything to everyone and is not successful with some of my core goals: investment tracking, budgeting, planning, importing transactions. More of a frustration, since it was a fantastic program at one point and very powerful (but stable). Difficult to give up many years of data to allow it to (maybe) run properly.
  • TD3
    TD3 Member
    Better question, upon doing some research (and appropriate). Which version of Quicken would handle the core versions I need (budgeting, planning, investment tracking, importing transactions)? I own every vesion back to Quicken for Windows 3.1. I have always upgraded, but that seems to be the issue, maybe a stepback in version to a better product. I know it would not be backward compatible, but losing a year's worth of data is better than 30 years worth?
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken subscription data files are backwards compatible with versions as old as QW2016. The only transaction import method for QW2016 and QW2017 is QIF. Later versions are subscription versions. 
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion the real crux of the matter is this one statement requirement "importing transactions".
    Taken as I want to do automatic importing of transactions, then the only way to ensure that, is to keep up with a current version of Quicken.

You didn't state automatic, but most people want it even if they don't state it.

If I drop automatic, then as @mshiggins mentioned, there is QIF importing, and given the right conversion tool, that should be possible for most people (importing transactions).  My free ImportQIF might work for that especially if you go back to Quicken 2017 or 2016.  Mapping investment transactions from say Excel/CSV is quite a bit harder than banking transactions but can be done.
    See what changed for QIF importing in Quicken Subscription:
    https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/importprocessing.html

If you drop importing transactions (manual entry), then you can pretty much pick what you want, and I would go with Quicken 2013 because it is the last version that has no online ties (Quicken 2014 through 2017 need a Quicken Id, which is free).  But data conversion backwards with QIF can be difficult see this for that:
    https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html

One possible tack is to use an older version of Quicken Subscription that you feel is stable enough and block any updates.  The big problem with this is that if you are using Express Web Connect, they have been making changes to the servers and such and it might not be possible to use these old versions.

I will mention one thing about going with a competitor.  The ones you mentioned "don't care" about your old data, and as such don't really have any way to import it.  There are others that do and QIF format is about the only "universal" conversion format, even though it isn't great for the task.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.