Trim old and obsolete investment transactions

wtreid
wtreid Member
edited July 2022 in Investments (Windows)
I've been using Quicken for about 30 years and I have a bazillion investment transactions that occurred more than a decade ago in my Quicken data file. My data file has gotten huge, and I no longer need a recored of those obsolete and decades-old investment transactions. I can't simply delete them, as that affects my transaction balance. Can you come up with a reliable way to get rid of all those old transactions? I'd want to be able to specify a date range within which to delete the obsolete transactions. As a VERY long-time Quicken user, what can you do to help me with this?

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is currently a means to archive an investment account that separates the closed lots from the active lots into separate accounts.  It doesn't reduce the size of the data file, but it does improve investment performance since when opening an investment account there is less to deal with. 
    You get to it via the gear icon in the upper right corner of an investment account register:

-splasher  using Q continuously since 1996 -  Subscription Quicken  -  Win11
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • @splasher - What happens to the investment activity when you use this function?  I have never used it myself, but always wondered how it worked.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    An account is split into two accounts (existing and archive (new)). The existing account will hold just the active lots and since it only has the active lots, it is more responsive.  If you are going to run a networth report over time, you will need to include both accounts to get the full lifetime view.
    -splasher  using Q continuously since 1996 -  Subscription Quicken  -  Win11
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
This discussion has been closed.