Quicken for mac [still using QMac 2007 Canada]

nalaselig
nalaselig Member
edited July 2022 in All Things Canadian (Mac)
I am both a Quicken & Apple addict and I don't want to part with either! When Apple started to part company in supporting Quicken software I was in real trouble when I bought a new iMac which ran macOS Catalina. However with help of an expert on an Apple forum, who shared my addiction, I found a solution. This was to run Quicken on an OWG solid state external HD. The same expert recommended Sierra 10.12.6 as the best macOS that could still run Quicken and Quicken for Mac 2007 (Canada) was as good as the original. This has worked perfectly for 4+ years. When I want to use Quicken I direct the iMac to boot up from the external HD running Sierra rather than the internal HD running Catalina. Unfortunately I now need to buy a new iMac, which will have their latest macOS Monterey pre-installed. Apple tells me, apart from Quicken not running on Monterey, it will not be compatible with my external HD solution! However, they tell me that they believe there is a new version of Quicken that will run on Monterey. Is that correct and will it accept all my backed up Quicken 2007 data (40+ yrs!)? I would also like to know is it as good as the 2007 for Mac version? When I came across the Catalina problem I was told there was a compatible Quicken product but the expert on the forum was not convinced that it was anywhere near as good as the original. Further searching online seemed to confirm that. Has that view changed?
Any help/advice will be gratefully received

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    I'm not sure why you posted this in the "All things Canadian" forum??

The Quicken has been running natively on Mac for many years now... with the current release compatible with Monterey.  Most people seems happy enough that most features from the 2007 version are present in the re-write.  But, I have no idea how well the process of importing an old QMac2007 data file works.

This has been discussed at infinitum in these forums for years... if you use the search function, you should find what you want rather than just hoping that the people in the know will see your post...in the Canadian forum.

Quicken Windows and Mac subscription • Quicken user since 1990
    iMac Pro, macOS Ventura 13.2 • Windows 10 via Parallels Desktop 17
  • MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    Quicken Windows and Mac subscription • Quicken user since 1990
    iMac Pro, macOS Ventura 13.2 • Windows 10 via Parallels Desktop 17
  • nalaselig
    nalaselig Member
    I am afraid I found your post in response to mine condescending, unhelpful and worst of all misleading. Of course it was a mistake to post my question on ‘All things Canadian’. In fact I am not sure how this happened but presumably, when I clicked on ‘Start a discussion’, I missed a scroll down to chose a more relevant option. However, a more constructive response from you would have ben to suggest where I should have posted my question. Your claim ‘Quicken has been running natively on Mac for many years now’ is not correct. This of course depends on how you define ‘many’. Catalina macOS 10.15 was released in October 2019 and the original Quicken certainly did not run on that. I think it is more than stretching it to describe 3 years as ‘many’! If this was true I can assure you, after extensive research and receiving constructive advice from a number of Apple & Quicken Forum users, I would not have gone to the trouble &expense of finding the work around described in my posting.
This discussion has been closed.