Lose the .PRN option when exporting and change it to .CSV

Rocket J Squirrel
Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 22 in Printing (Windows)
I remember Lotus 1-2-3, but I'm older than most of you.
I do not remember .PRN files, though. I believe PRN was an old MSDOS device alias for a printer back when printers were dot matrix and paper came with perforations.
The .PRN option in the report printing dialog is decades obsolete and just plain wrong. This option actually outputs a .CSV file with a .PRN extension. Fix it, please.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
7 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as Excel can read/import it, which it does, I don't care WHAT they call it.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Damian
    Damian Member, SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I remember Lotus 1-2-3, Lotus Symphony, and PRN files
    (Quicken Premier Subscription R41.19 on Windows 11 Pro)
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited June 22
    NotACPA said:
    As long as Excel can read/import it, which it does, I don't care WHAT they call it.
    This suggestion isn't for you. It's for all the users who can't figure out how to export CSV. They see 123 and .PRN and say "WTF?"
    Excel doesn't recognize .PRN. Double-click a .PRN file and Windows says "WTF?" It's an extra step to import .PRN when .CSV just opens.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Damian
    @rocket j squrrel - after you create the PRN file you can just change the extension to "CSV", before you double click to open.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damian said:
    @rocket j squrrel - after you create the PRN file you can just change the extension to "CSV", before you double click to open.
    Or you can give it the CSV extension in the first place, but Quicken should call it what it is and not require the extra step.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Damian said:
    Again, this "idea" is not for us super users. I know the workarounds.

(Maybe it is for us SUs if it reduces the number of questions about this.)
  • Damian
    @jim_harman - I totally agree, it is an obsolete extension that need to be updated, but until it's updated I'm all for easy workarounds.
  • Damian
    @rocket j squirrel I wasn't directing my comment to you.  I was just suggesting an easy workaround for opening PRN files.  
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    The point of an "idea" post is to get Quicken to change something. It is not to solicit workarounds.