How to transfer a file (and all accounts/data) from one subscriber’s Mac to another subscribers Mac

Options
ElleJ
ElleJ Member
I am taking over the management of a file (accounts/data) from another subscriber. She has a Mac laptop and is subscribed to the basic version of Quicken. I have a MacBook Air and my subscription is to the Deluxe version of Quicken. I can only find the suggestion of copying the backup to an external drive and then copying that onto my MacBook. Is there another way to do this? She no longer needs access or will be managing this. Ideally I need to have access to all historical data and reports. As if I am just taking over the file and accounts management as it is. Any suggestions are welcome.

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You can move the actual file by any method that is convenient for you (USB thumb drive, file sharing service eg. Dropbox, etc.) But you MUST compress the file before transferring it. Or you can move a Quicken-created backup of the file (ending in .quickenbackup) and then restore it on your machine. The .quickenbackup format is a compressed file, so this takes care of the need to compress it.

Why compress the file? If you don't, the file's permissions will likely not be correct on your machine and will likely make the file un-openable. How to compress the file? Right click on the file in the Finder and choose Compress "filename". 

Once you have the file on your machine, it will open in your Deluxe version and contain all the data from the Starter version of the file, but now have the ability to use Deluxe features. If her copy of the Quicken app is not up to date, you will find that there's a possibly long pause when you first open the file for the database to be updated. You will also be told that the file is owned by another account and asked if you want to move it to yours. Just say yes.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You can move the actual file by any method that is convenient for you (USB thumb drive, file sharing service eg. Dropbox, etc.) But you MUST compress the file before transferring it. Or you can move a Quicken-created backup of the file (ending in .quickenbackup) and then restore it on your machine. The .quickenbackup format is a compressed file, so this takes care of the need to compress it.

Why compress the file? If you don't, the file's permissions will likely not be correct on your machine and will likely make the file un-openable. How to compress the file? Right click on the file in the Finder and choose Compress "filename". 

Once you have the file on your machine, it will open in your Deluxe version and contain all the data from the Starter version of the file, but now have the ability to use Deluxe features. If her copy of the Quicken app is not up to date, you will find that there's a possibly long pause when you first open the file for the database to be updated. You will also be told that the file is owned by another account and asked if you want to move it to yours. Just say yes.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.