Strong recommendation about quicken updates and release dates

whodiini
whodiini Member ✭✭✭
Please change the way updates are being released. It is driving many people crazy.

1) Consolidate updates to once a quarter. Use these for improvements, new features, etc...Debug the hell out of these releases so they are very stable. Build in a backup and validate file to install the update. These should be released like a mondo update.
2) Emergency update any time to fix major issues. These should be rare, and address unscheduled changes to online sites. Make these optional so that if a user doesnt do business with that vendor, they dont have to update. Incorporate these updates to the quarterly update

The current updates are increasingly unstable. Its like a break and fix strategy. people like me are increasingly frustrated and are looking for other options now. People want stability of the program above all else and Quicken is not providing it.
Tagged:
9 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @whodiini,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to the Community with your request.

I went ahead and changed your post to an Idea so other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea by clicking the up arrow (see below).

Ideas are also reviewed by our Development and Product teams in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers.

Please, be sure to add your own vote as well.

-Quicken Jasmine
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    On May 2, 2014, Mark Zuckerberg announced that Facebook would be changing its internal motto from "Move fast and break things" to "Move fast with stable infrastructure". Even he could learn from experience. :)
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @whodiini
    I don't dispute the basis for your complaints, though I am not sure your proposed fixes are viable within the current Quicken organization.  While awaiting any such improvements, you might consider adjusting your Windows User Access Controls (UAC) to prevent updates from auto-installing.  Then monitor this community and the release notes to decide if and when you do want to install the latest update.  That may go a long way toward reducing frustration.  
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have been thinking about this quite a bit lately.

When I see new releases, I have very mixed feelings about them.  And I think a lot of people share this feeling.

For instance, if I look at the requests for changes in this forum and then at what has been put into the recent patches, I see clearly that the Quicken Windows developers are trying to give the customers what they have requested.  In fact, I have seen several problems that for years haven't been changed, changed.  And some relatively new idea been implemented.

But these good acts quickly get overwhelmed by bugs.

Case in point, add time stamp to backup, add note to budget item.
    And then there are the one that no bug was introduced, but of course everyone is focused on the bugs and not even noticing things like they finally changed the text from Show (Hidden Accounts) to Show Separate accounts.

One might argue that some of the bugs introduced show that the programmers are either no experiences or Quicken is so complicated/not understood that they really can't work on it.

But most of these problems to eventually get fixed.  So, I'm leaning towards what @whodiini is the real problem.  Trying to go to fast and not testing enough.  We are all human and make mistakes.  Testing is a vital part of the system.  "Being Agil" should never be done at the cost of quality.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For some reason the vote button on this suggestion isn't working for me.
    Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Chris_QPW said:
    I think I fixed it. Try it now.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    I think I fixed it. Try it now.
    Thanks.  Yes, it is fixed now.
    Signature:
  • UserDavidC
    UserDavidC Member ✭✭✭
    It looks like the vote button is broken again.

I am unable to vote.
    Quicken user since 1995.
    Current subscription user.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    It looks like the vote button is broken again.

I am unable to vote.
    This is a known issue and has been reported. We can fix the buttons temporarily but it's unclear how long they stay enabled. We're awaiting a fix.
  • whodiini
    whodiini Member ✭✭✭
    When it comes to your money, you want a service to be reliable. Imagine if a bank had a motto, move fast and break things. Who would want to bank with them? "We cant give you any of your money today, come back tomorrow and maybe the bug will get fixed by then..." In quicken it would be "We cant tell you how much money you have in your account today, wait until we fix the bug that keeps crashing the program"....