Option to keep credit card running totals in register

brewparents08
brewparents08 Member ✭✭
edited August 18 in Product Enhancements (Mac)
An option to keep automatically updated credit card totals (with option to include pending authorizations in that total too) in a line of the checking account register, so you know how much you have left after paying off total credit card balance.
1 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    How would the updated credit card total you're asking for differ from the amount in the running Balance column? Or the amount shown in the left sidebar?

Pending transactions is a whole different can of worms. It depends on the financial industry having a standardized format (in the OFX and FDX standards) for transmitting pending transactions, modifying them, converting them to posted transactions, and deleting them. If that already exists, then it seems Quicken (at their connectivity partner Intuit) could implement it; if such a set of standards doesn't exist, it goes well beyond anything Quicken could do. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 25
    I think what they're asking for is to have transactions for paying the credit cards automatically entered into the checking register & updated to match the current credit card balances as those balances increase during the month.

There's a suggestion marked "Under Consideration" to have scheduled transactions that can do that. It wouldn't help with the pending transactions - that's a completely separate issue.
    Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.
  • brewparents08
    brewparents08 Member ✭✭
    edited August 15
    With or without pending transactions would be helpful. Simplifi by Quicken already does this for completed credit card transactions, by directly linking to those accounts just like the bank checking account. No reason Quicken on the desktop couldn't also. I manually keep track of credit card balances in Quicken now, including the total with pending transactions, manually updated at least twice weekly. Even though I don't live paycheck to paycheck, I like to always know my projected balance after all of my current charges have gone through.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I'm still confused what you're seeking; I must be missing something. Your credit card balance of all transactions is the number shown in the left sidebar, and is also shown in the running balance column when you have that account selected. What are you doing manually to see your balance? 

With or without pending transactions would be helpful. Simplifi by Quicken already does this for completed credit card transactions, by directly linking to those accounts just like the bank checking account. No reason Quicken on the desktop couldn't also.
    Do you download your credit card transactions, like you do your bank account transactions? If not, and that's that you're asking for, you can absolutely set up credit card accounts to download transactions, the same as you do with a bank account. If you're already downloading your credit card transactions, then you seem to have what you're asking for already (for posted transactions; pending transactions don't download into Quicken).

I like to always know my projected balance after all of my current charges have gone through.
    Me, too. And I see my current balance for each credit card in the left sidebar every time I'm using Quicken. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993