Wells Fargo [Edited]

On several occasions in the past several months, when Updating transactions (i.e. downloading) for a Wells Fargo credit card account, several transactions don’t download. It each instance it was transactions for a 2 or 3 day period and not always the same several days. When online in the Wells Credit card account, the transactions are there and they show up in the statements covering those days. But.....the Quicken Update (download( process doesn’t capture them.

Thus I have to manually compare the Quicken downloaded ledger with the statement transactions and look for any missing transactions. (Arrrgh. A real pain!!!) And then I have to manually input the missing items into the Quicken credit card ledger the Quicken ledger for that credit card is a complete record.

Any Updates performed later still fail to pick up on those missing transactions. It only happens with in this Wells credit card account. Other Credit card Updates don’t miss any transactions.

FYI: Using One Step update. Express Web Connect is used when downloading. Using Quicken Premier Version R42.21, build 27.1.42.21 in Windows 10. When clicking on "Check for update" it grinds for a while then says "Unknown error". I've checked to be sure no filters are set to obscure what I see (or don't see) in the ledger and "Date" is the sort column. Those missing transactions are not "hiding". They simply never downloaded.

What could be causing this? Sounds like some Quicken/Wells interface issue to me.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    On several occasions in the past several months, when Updating transactions (i.e. downloading) for a Wells Fargo credit card account, several transactions don’t download. It each instance it was transactions for a 2 or 3 day period and not always the same several days. When online in the Wells Credit card account, the transactions are there and they show up in the statements covering those days. But.....the Quicken Update (download( process doesn’t capture them.

Thus I have to manually compare the Quicken downloaded ledger with the statement transactions and look for any missing transactions. (Arrrgh. A real pain!!!) And then I have to manually input the missing items into the Quicken credit card ledger the Quicken ledger for that credit card is a complete record.

Any Updates performed later still fail to pick up on those missing transactions. It only happens with in this Wells credit card account. Other Credit card Updates don’t miss any transactions.

FYI: Using One Step update. Express Web Connect is used when downloading. Using Quicken Premier Version R42.21, build 27.1.42.21 in Windows 10. When clicking on "Check for update" it grinds for a while then says "Unknown error". I've checked to be sure no filters are set to obscure what I see (or don't see) in the ledger and "Date" is the sort column. Those missing transactions are not "hiding". They simply never downloaded.

What could be causing this? Sounds like some Quicken/Wells interface issue to me.
    Hello @[email protected]

I am sorry to hear about these problems with missing transactions after downloads and updates. Thank you for reaching out about this here on the Quicken Community.

Have you checked the filters on the registers of the affected account(s)? If you notice a green Reset button just above the register itself, you can click this to clear any active filters that may be obscuring the transactions in question. Also, are you noticing any common traits between the missing transactions, such as a particular category or payee being affected, exclusively?

I look forward to your answers, and I hope to work with you on this issue some more, if necessary. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Jared, to answer your questions, as I said, " I've checked to be sure no filters are set to obscure what I see (or don't see) in the ledger". As to commonality of the transactions, nothing I can see. The missing charges are different merchants, different cards used (i.e my card vs. my wife's card", and even different processing methods (i.e most were a card purchase vs. one which was an autopay charge). The only commonality I see is that the missing transactions all occurred over three or four days. No charges show up during that time period. It's as if the download process just isn't capturing transactions over those several days.
  • Quicken Jared
    Jared, to answer your questions, as I said, " I've checked to be sure no filters are set to obscure what I see (or don't see) in the ledger". As to commonality of the transactions, nothing I can see. The missing charges are different merchants, different cards used (i.e my card vs. my wife's card", and even different processing methods (i.e most were a card purchase vs. one which was an autopay charge). The only commonality I see is that the missing transactions all occurred over three or four days. No charges show up during that time period. It's as if the download process just isn't capturing transactions over those several days.
    Hello @[email protected]

Thanks for clarifying the situation and answering my earlier questions. I do apologize for reiterating anything previously established. 

Have you tried connecting your Wells Fargo account(s) in a test file? Save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen and then create a 'test' data file by going to the same menu and selecting New Quicken File... Next, choose New Quicken File in the screen that follows, and then click OK. After this, choose a file location on your computer and then click Save. Choose Don't use mobile and web when prompted. I want to know if you see missing transactions after updating accounts in this test file.

I look forward to hearing back from you, if you have the chance to check back in with us about this.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Jared,
    You are genius. The new fresh .QDF “Test trick” worked. After creating the new test.QDF file. I set up a Wells Fargo connection (Express Web Connect) and it created and downloaded data on all four of my Wells Fargo accounts. And transactions for the past couple of months (5-17-2022 to present) were downloaded for all four of those Wells accounts. All of those missing transactions in the Wells Credit Card ledger were downloaded!

So now that you’ve established that Quicken CAN download ALL transactions in the “test” file, how do we use that fantastic new “clue” to help fix that Wells Credit Card account in my regular Quicken .QDF file so it won’t drop transactions in the future when doing Updates? FYI, my existing Wells Credit Card ledger has MANY transactions dating back to Feb. of 2022, all with appropriate expense categories assigned. So I don’t want to lose that data when doing the fix.

Look forward to your wise counsel.
  • Quicken Jared
    Jared,
    You are genius. The new fresh .QDF “Test trick” worked. After creating the new test.QDF file. I set up a Wells Fargo connection (Express Web Connect) and it created and downloaded data on all four of my Wells Fargo accounts. And transactions for the past couple of months (5-17-2022 to present) were downloaded for all four of those Wells accounts. All of those missing transactions in the Wells Credit Card ledger were downloaded!

So now that you’ve established that Quicken CAN download ALL transactions in the “test” file, how do we use that fantastic new “clue” to help fix that Wells Credit Card account in my regular Quicken .QDF file so it won’t drop transactions in the future when doing Updates? FYI, my existing Wells Credit Card ledger has MANY transactions dating back to Feb. of 2022, all with appropriate expense categories assigned. So I don’t want to lose that data when doing the fix.

Look forward to your wise counsel.
    Hello @[email protected],      

I am glad to hear that everything appears to be working as expected in this test file, and this does, indeed, provide some clues as to a path forward. Thanks for keeping in communications with me about this.

First, navigate back to your original data file then save another backup. Next, proceed through the instructions provided below:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists. 

If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I am eager to hear about how this works, if you can follow up with me, once again. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Jared, Thanks for your followup. Before proceeding as you suggest, one thing puzzles me. Step 7, after both validations, you say "see if the issue still persists." But... how can I see if a subsequent "Update" will fix the missing transactions problem? Do I have to wait a month, run Update, compare with actual on line transactions and see if anything is missing? I can and will do that? But, in the meantime, I had an idea to do a simulation using the new "Test" file -- In the "Test" file I manually deleted two of the here-to-fore missing transactions (which the Test file update DID capture). Then I ran ran a new Update on the Test file to see if that subsequent Update would download the two transactions I manually deleted. Alas that did NOT download those two manually deleted transactions. So that clever "simulation" didn't work or prove anything. Which begs the question; other than waiting a month to do a real time new Upload on my real file, how am I going to "see if the issue still persists" after doing the two verification procedures?
  • Follow up: Again this month, the downloaded transactions (the Update function) for this Wells Fargo Credit card missed a transaction. It was only one transaction this month. (In prior months had missed several transactions). But the question remains, WHY? The transaction is reflected when online with the Credit Card account. And it was on the monthly paper statement. So, why would it not show up within the Quicken register when downloading? I note it was a Google Pay (Wallet) transaction. But all the other Google Pay trans on that credit card showed up when downloading card transactions So, that wouldn't seem to be the culprit. It such a pain to not be sure the the Quicken Update actually captures all transactions. Having to compare them one-by-one with the statement, looking for what might be missing, is a HUGE PITA. And who should fix? Is it a Quicken or a Wells Credit Card issue? I don't know who to bug. Frankly it falls to Quicken to assure users that the Update function is a reliable reflection of transactions. Anyone else have these issues?