New Opening Balance Transactions Showed Up

rickpwilson
rickpwilson Member ✭✭
Just wondering if anyone has seen opening balance transactions showing up in a bank accounts recently?
I have 3 accounts where an opening balance transaction shows up in the register with a date of 7/19'79 and that's not a typo the apostrophe does separate the Day and Year field of the date field. The transactions are various values with a category of the account i.e. checking account category is "Checking" so basically a transfer to itself. When I reconcile the accounts they are out exactly the value of errant transaction.
I am still doing review, restoring previous backups to see where these transactions came from. The good thing is the messed up date causes the transaction to be the most recent transaction so you can readily identify the transaction.
Just wondering is anyone else is seeing anything like this (trying to link this to an update or some other event)

Comments

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have not seen or read exactly what you described.
    However, a similar change in the opening balances, especially for the Express Web Connect (EWC) accounts has been a long standing reported issue for some users.  Just search for "opening balance" within this community and you will find many reports.  I have personally experienced it after a deactivate/reactivate an EWC account.
    No one has figured out why this happens sporadically and if there is a permanent resolution.
    The best method to "manage" it is by adding the real/correct opening balance value in the memo field of the opening balance transaction for every account you have.  (or record it in a separate file/notepad - whatever works for you).  That way if you ever notice something is off, you can quickly review the opening balance and cross-check it against what you recorded in the memo field and easily correct it.
    Let's see if others have comments on this.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• rickpwilson
    rickpwilson Member ✭✭
    > @BK said:
    > I have not seen or read exactly what you described.However, a similar change in the opening balances, especially for the Express Web Connect (EWC) accounts has been a long standing reported issue for some users.  Just search for "opening balance" within this community and you will find many reports.  I have personally experienced it after a deactivate/reactivate an EWC account.No one has figured out why this happens sporadically and if there is a permanent resolution.The best method to "manage" it is by adding the real/correct opening balance value in the memo field of the opening balance transaction for every account you have.  (or record it in a separate file/notepad - whatever works for you).  That way if you ever notice something is off, you can quickly review the opening balance and cross-check it against what you recorded in the memo field and easily correct it.Let's see if others have comments on this.

I tried the webconnect feature in July I think, I figured it must be fixed by now. I have tried it many times before but it always messed something up so I just perform web downloads which are reliable.
    I'm trying to sort out when it started so I can ensure I correct the opening balances affected. So far it seems to only affect bank accounts.
  • Webby
    Webby Member
    I had data that went back as far as 1994 and now it just goes to the year 2000 with a new opening balance. Totally messed up.
This discussion has been closed.