New Chase Connection Issue

The other day I got the message that my Chase accounts connection was being updated to the new connection we were previously notified about. I went through the procedure without a hitch. But one very critical thing is NOT working - updates of cleared transactions. I have noticed that some transactions are not being marked as cleared in Quicken - I've had to manually clear them to get the account reconciled. Further, some transactions are getting marked as cleared while in the "pending" state, so technically they have not cleared the account yet.

I would have hoped that a problem like this would have been caught in QA but this is really bad. Anyone else seeing this issue?

Answers

• My "new and improved" connection won't download transactions at all
  • GaryKantz
    GaryKantz Member ✭✭✭
    @tdtdtdtdtdtdtd Right now it's not even downloading anything. Something is completely broken with this.

Cue the blame game: Bank says it's quicken's fault, quicken says its the banks fault, and quicken users lose.
  • GaryKantz
    GaryKantz Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 18
    [Removed - Alumni Tag] @Quicken Anja Wondering if you could shed some light on this. There have been no downloads or reconciled transactions since the new connection was established. Further, the account is now being reconciled against the online balance NET of pending transactions, throwing off our account reconciliations even further. This is badly broken. Please advise.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @GaryKantz,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have received several reports about the issue you described above with no downloads, etc. We are requesting that users experiencing these issues contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance as our support agents may need to reach out to our escalation teams in order to have this resolved.

I apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.
    -Quicken Anja
  • GaryKantz
    GaryKantz Member ✭✭✭
    For the benefit of those who are on this thread, I have reached out to Quicken Support who provided me with this update:

Apparently when Quicken alerted us within the software to update our connection to Chase, Chase had not fully migrated all Quicken customers to the new connection on their end. Consequently there have been a ton of reports of the behavior I described above. I was told NOT to disconnect with Chase - that we should wait 5 days (since yesterday, so 4 days) and see if the problem is resolved on Chase's end by then. Disconnecting would only cause things to get worse, like tons of duplicate register entries.

So Quicken is saying this is a Chase problem. I would argue that it's Quicken's problem for instructing us to update the connection too soon, which is exactly what transpired here. I sure hope this gets resolved soon. Been using Quicken for over 30 years and problems seem to be getting worse.
  • gregwd
    gregwd Member ✭✭
    Quicken for Windows stopped reconciling my Chase accounts after switching to EWC+, as well. Before seeing this thread, I posted detail about my issue here:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7918120/reconciliation-not-working-for-chase-accounts-after-switch-to-ewc#latest

The representative I spoke with via chat seemed to not understand how reconciliation is supposed to work. :(
  • GaryKantz
    GaryKantz Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 20
    FYI, in the interim the only solution is to reconcile against the online balance and manually clear those transactions that are "pending" on the Chase website. It appears Quicken is downloading all transactions now, cleared or pending. But Quicken is now incorrectly reconciling against the true bank balance net of all transactions, including pending ones. On top of that, the pending transactions are not being marked as cleared. So again, the only solution is to manually clear those pending transactions against the true bank balance. 
  • Philo34609
    Philo34609 Member ✭✭
    Using Quicken for Mac Premier. Version 6.8.3 (Build 608.44884.100). MacOS 12.15.1. Connection via Quicken Connect - no new connection methods for me (yet).

Reconciling Chase accounts was working fine until recently and nothing has been updated on my machine since installing V6.8.3 some weeks ago.

I agree with your description of the problem and would propose another, albeit still unsatisfactory, workaround.

I am reconciling and allowing quicken to add an adjustment to my register. This allows downloaded and posted transactions to be reconciled.

I then delete the adjustment and wait for pending transactions to post and download into my register.

It is better than having a growing list of downloaded (but not reconciled) transactions in the register and hoping for a day when I don't have a discrepancy between the downloaded and online bank balances.
  • GaryKantz
    GaryKantz Member ✭✭✭
    @Philo34609 Yeah, that is a possibility. But for something like this to be so broken it's criminal. I cannot understand why they released this new connection without fully testing this. It needs to be fixed ASAP.
  • snoboy2k6
    snoboy2k6 Member
    Same stuff different year - I'm getting the same error - endless loop of login to bank, do it, authorize, get the email from Chase and the quicken Sign into Chase bank just endlessly spins. Chase portion gives this site as last piece which is flat broken -> https://www.chase.com/content/dam/chaseonline/en/legacy/content/secure/sso/document/chase_outage.htm
  • snoboy2k6
    snoboy2k6 Member
    Updated quicken (why this did not popup earlier I have no idea) and this seems to work now. Frustrating but resolved.... I hope
  • GaryKantz
    GaryKantz Member ✭✭✭
    snoboy2k6 This is not the same thing. No error messages or sign in issues. It's the connection and what balances Quicken is reconciling against.
  • Keddie
    Keddie Member ✭✭
    Found a work around / fix for the issue if you go to whatever your default browser is and login to the chase website directly first and then attempt to add the account as a new it will use the cookie session from the previous authentication to allow the connection to succeed. Finally got it to work after 5 friggin days.
  • floydfan
    floydfan Member ✭✭
    > @Keddie said:
    > Found a work around / fix for the issue if you go to whatever your default browser is and login to the chase website directly first and then attempt to add the account as a new it will use the cookie session from the previous authentication to allow the connection to succeed. Finally got it to work after 5 friggin days.

I’m not sure I’m understanding you. Why would adding a new account in the Chase website help within the Quicken app?
  • Keddie
    Keddie Member ✭✭
    @floydfan

Sorry I should have made this more clear.

To fix here were my steps.

Disable all Quicken online / one step updates on the connect Chase Account(s) turning it effectively into a manual account.
    Now open your default browser (super important it's whichever one Quicken will open when the account is re-activated) and go to chase.com and login. Make sure it's fully logged in and able to reach all associated accounts within the Chase.com website.
    Now go back to Quicken and add a new account. DO NOT try to re-activate or add the online access through the existing account as this was broken every time I did it.
    Choose Chase account and execute like it was a brand new account. It will automatically launch your default browser and walk you through granting the permissions. You probably already did this multiple times. Because you are already logged into the chase.com account the token will transfer over to the session called by the Quicken request and will actually complete the process instead of landing you in the broken url provided by Chase referenced by @snoboy2k6 on Aug 24th.
    When that completes it will drop you into a screen saying it is re-directing you back to the quicken screen at which time it will ask if this is a new account. From here simply tell it to "Link to existing account" instead of add new and it will begin to work.

Hopefully this adds some clarity.
  • GaryKantz
    GaryKantz Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 25
    Keddie said:
    @floydfan

Sorry I should have made this more clear.

To fix here were my steps.

Disable all Quicken online / one step updates on the connect Chase Account(s) turning it effectively into a manual account.
    Now open your default browser (super important it's whichever one Quicken will open when the account is re-activated) and go to chase.com and login. Make sure it's fully logged in and able to reach all associated accounts within the Chase.com website.
    Now go back to Quicken and add a new account. DO NOT try to re-activate or add the online access through the existing account as this was broken every time I did it.
    Choose Chase account and execute like it was a brand new account. It will automatically launch your default browser and walk you through granting the permissions. You probably already did this multiple times. Because you are already logged into the chase.com account the token will transfer over to the session called by the Quicken request and will actually complete the process instead of landing you in the broken url provided by Chase referenced by @snoboy2k6 on Aug 24th.
    When that completes it will drop you into a screen saying it is re-directing you back to the quicken screen at which time it will ask if this is a new account. From here simply tell it to "Link to existing account" instead of add new and it will begin to work.

Hopefully this adds some clarity.
    I see this as a completely different issue that I am experiencing. I was prompted by Quicken as expected to update my Chase connections, which I did without incident. The process worked without any error messages or connection issues. The problem since that point is the bank account balance Quicken is reconciling to. In the past, Quicken correctly reconciled to the bank balance that included only CLEARED transactions. Now, since the update, Quicken is now incorrectly reconciling against a bank balance that is net of all PENDING transactions, which is completely wrong. Those pending transactions throw the reconciliation completely out of whack because they don't show up as cleared per Quicken, and the only workaround is to clear those pending transactions manually. So even things like $1 authorizations or restaurant charges that aren't final (i.e. with a tip) have to be manually cleared. See my explanation above.
  • Jeninnorcal
    Jeninnorcal Member
    I was able to download my transactions via QSX from the chase website and that corrects the balance issue as a temp workaround until Quicken fixes this balance issue.
  • GaryKantz
    GaryKantz Member ✭✭✭
    All:

Just an FYI - this morning Chase appears to be reconciling properly against the cleared bank balance. In other words before pending transactions. I don't know if this is completely fixed but this is the behavior I saw earlier today.
  • GaryKantz
    GaryKantz Member ✭✭✭
    ....and I take that back. This morning it is no longer working. It was working fine yesterday morning, but definitely broke again.

To be honest this is the worst screw up that Quicken has made - EVER. And there have been other colossal screw ups. Fix the darn thing already. We're tired of excuses. This is TERRIBLE.
  • JDJ
    JDJ Member ✭✭
    Put me in the 'dissatisfied' group on the pending transactions at Chase issue. Q should have seen it coming. Not that hard to beta test.

Here's the latest from the moderator if you haven't seen on this issue.

ONGOING 9/1/22

For the time being, this issue remains ongoing while our teams continue to work towards a solution, though we do not have an ETA.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you!
    -Quicken Anja

Here's my suggestion for all issues. For each day, it's not fixed, rebate all of us for the number of subscription days the system does not perform.

Here's my suggestion for all issues Quicken should have foreseen if they had done a beta test (like this one): Put yourself on the clock. For each day the problem is unresolved penalize yourself (meaning share our pain), by granting a week's extended subscription for EACH day the the problem is unresolved.

By the way I see you are taking Labor Day off.

Thanks for reading. Quicken User for more than 25 years
  • floydfan
    floydfan Member ✭✭
    > @JDJ said:
    > Put me in the 'dissatisfied' group on the pending transactions at Chase issue. Q should have seen it coming. Not that hard to beta test.
    >
    > Here's the latest from the moderator if you haven't seen on this issue.
    >
    > ONGOING 9/1/22
    >
    > For the time being, this issue remains ongoing while our teams continue to work towards a solution, though we do not have an ETA.
    >
    > We apologize for the inconvenience.
    >
    > Thank you!
    > -Quicken Anja
    >
    > Here's my suggestion for all issues. For each day, it's not fixed, rebate all of us for the number of subscription days the system does not perform.
    >
    > Here's my suggestion for all issues Quicken should have foreseen if they had done a beta test (like this one): Put yourself on the clock. For each day the problem is unresolved penalize yourself (meaning share our pain), by granting a week's extended subscription for EACH day the the problem is unresolved.
    >
    > By the way I see you are taking Labor Day off.
    >
    > Thanks for reading. Quicken User for more than 25 years

30 years for me, and I’ve never seen anything like this. Wholeheartedly agree with everything you said. This is disgusting.
  • emtinfl
    emtinfl Member
    Here it is several days later since the last post and no sense of urgency on Chase or Quicken's part to resolve. Chase is a huge bank, so allowing this to continue without any communication is unacceptable CX. For some, it leaves the service largely useless. Urgency matters, Quicken folks.