Report format settings including column widths should be saved with the report

John Nastasi
John Nastasi Member ✭✭✭
edited August 24 in Reports (Windows)
I propose an enhancement that would allow the saving of report settings on reports. It's very frustrating to format a report (column width, etc) so it will print the same way each time. 

An enhancement would surely be appreciated. 
Tagged:
3 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @""John Nastasi"

Have you tried saving the report?  For any report that you develop in Quicken, you should be able to save it.  To save a report - just click on the little "Disk" icon at the very top of the report.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• John Nastasi
    John Nastasi Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, I do that all the time but if I change the Column size to fit a report page, those settings are not saved. 
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23
    What version of Quicken are you running, and which report is not saving the column width?

Quicken made some changes in this area not long ago and the column widths should now be saved when you save a report.

If the issue is with a report you originally saved some time ago, you might try re-creating the report from one of the standard reports to see if the column widths are saved.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • John Nastasi
    John Nastasi Member ✭✭✭
    ok, I will give that a try. TY
  • Jim_Harman
    edited August 24
    Please let us know which report or reports are not saving column widths for you and whether re-creating the reports fixes the problem. I have included an incomplete list in a later post below.

Thanx
  • John Nastasi
    John Nastasi Member ✭✭✭
    I just did a stock Cash Flow monthly report from Jan through August. I changed the Column widths and then saved the report. Then re-opened the report. My column width changes were not saved.  
  • Jim_Harman
    Ok thanks. And please go to Help > About Quicken and let us know what version of Quicken you are running.
  • John Nastasi
    John Nastasi Member ✭✭✭
    Q Home and business, r43.14 Build 27.1.43.14
  • John Nastasi
    John Nastasi Member ✭✭✭
    Premier Subscription
  • Jim_Harman
    edited September 19
    I ran a quick test in R43.14 and I found that some reports save changes to column widths and some do not. Here is an incomplete list:

Column widths not saved:
    Cash Flow
    Cash flow by Tag
    Income & Expense by Category

Column widths saved
    Banking Transaction
    Investment Transaction
    Capital Gains
    Asset Allocation
    Investment Performance
    Account Balances  - account column with saved but not data columns 
    Net Worth - same as Account Balances

Column widths are fixed
    Investment Income
    Investing Activity

For the reports where the widths were saved, the changes also affect the built-in or template report and any other saved reports based on the template. In other words, changes to the column widths are global for all reports based on that template. I think this behavior was introduced earlier this year because the Banking and Investment Transaction reports are used as pop-ups when you double click on data in other reports. Users wanted to be able to set the column widths once, and this is an improvement IMO.

For all the other reports, I think users should have the ability to adjust and save the column widths separately for each saved version of the report.

Unfortunately, reporting a problem here will not generally trigger any action by Quicken. I suggest you and anyone else with this problem report the issue using the Help > Report a Problem link and also contact Quicken Support directly. Be sure the support agent understands the problem and gives you a ticket number for future reference.

You will not get a response if you only use Report a problem, Quicken uses the Report a Problem submissions for statistical purposes and to help diagnose the issue.

• John Nastasi
    John Nastasi Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, the reports I use are the ones that do not save the settings. Grrrr....

I'd love to see how many people would be interested in the feature of saving the setting on reports. How do I get a post online that will allow people to express their interests? 

John
  • Jim_Harman
    I will request that a moderator change this to an Idea post.
  • John Nastasi
    John Nastasi Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you