Corrupted Register?

This only seems to apply to my Citibank account and just started seeing a discrepancy this month. And wondering if this could be a byproduct of all the connection issues with Citibank this year.

I used the update now function on my Citibank account... first one failed, second time it connected and downloaded the transactions. When I reviewed the register, I noticed the Balance was different from what was stated online by Citibank (and it wasn't in my favor). Started taking a look through all my past statements to see where the missing charges were (thought this is odd since I'm always mapped to the current amount). After going back a few months, I started to find missing transactions in the register. This was also very strange as I had positive/credit balances on the credit card account every month. I don't tend to overpay my credit card off so this looked suspect to me. As I dug deeper, I began to isolate to a particular vendor, but not all their transactions are missing. However, when I search on the vendor (within the register) all the "missing" transactions show. I ran File, Validation and Repair but nothing was wrong. Integrity of the transactions are starting to concern me.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    edited August 31
    This only seems to apply to my Citibank account and just started seeing a discrepancy this month. And wondering if this could be a byproduct of all the connection issues with Citibank this year.

I used the update now function on my Citibank account... first one failed, second time it connected and downloaded the transactions. When I reviewed the register, I noticed the Balance was different from what was stated online by Citibank (and it wasn't in my favor). Started taking a look through all my past statements to see where the missing charges were (thought this is odd since I'm always mapped to the current amount). After going back a few months, I started to find missing transactions in the register. This was also very strange as I had positive/credit balances on the credit card account every month. I don't tend to overpay my credit card off so this looked suspect to me. As I dug deeper, I began to isolate to a particular vendor, but not all their transactions are missing. However, when I search on the vendor (within the register) all the "missing" transactions show. I ran File, Validation and Repair but nothing was wrong. Integrity of the transactions are starting to concern me.
    Hello @PapaClutch,    

I am sorry to hear about this problem with incorrect balances, and with missing transactions. Thank you for looking to the Quicken Community for assistance. 

What vendor was associated with the missing transactions, might I ask? Also, does the opening balance appear correctly in these accounts? Lastly, how often do you save backups? We recommend saving backups frequently by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Provided that this has been done often, you should be able to restore a backup saved from just before the issue began by navigating to the same menu and selecting File > Restore a Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Does this problem continue in the restored backup?

I hope to hear more about your results, if this has been attempted.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • AceLandow
    AceLandow Member ✭✭
    There is a current known problem with opening balances after online account reauthorization: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7913758/ongoing-9-1-22-paypal-opening-balance-not-right-after-reauthorization-of-accounts#latest

This may be what caused the problem with your Citibank account. I had the same problem with Chase, First National Bank, and Citibank accounts. Find the earliest statement to your opening balance and start verifying. I have also found issues with missing transactions or extra transactions.

I wonder if it could be related to the banks pushing transactions that are from before your opening balance due to a Year End Copy. Discover did this to my account a few years ago.