Chase Bank changes and Quicken bill pay

This change between Quicken and Chase Bank is a nightmare. I am trying to make a decision as to try and work with it or close my accounts at Chase and move to another bank. I have been using Quicken since the original DOS version and the only problems I have had is with Chase. I was on line for 45 minutes with Chase on line support yesterday and the tech did not have a clue. The only reason I am with Chase is because of mergers and acquisitions by Chase. This sucks.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, lots of users are having trouble for the Chase changeover.  Changing to another financial institution that supports the Direct Connect (if that is why you are thinking of changing) may only buy you some time, it looks like they will all be changing to Express Web Connect+ in time.  That is not a published fact by Quicken or Intuit, just my opinion of what the handwriting on the wall looks like.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭
    Make sure you have plenty of backups to restore if you run into problems. I had to just disable the online download feature and restore from prior version. The downloads caused all sorts of duplicate and unmatched errors. Too much to find and fix which totally messed up every other account that had transfers related to Chase accounts. Going back to manually entering transactions because of this is making me think twice about even using Quicken. There should be a way to limit or control what is downloaded, like only transactions after the last reconciled statement.
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭
    I have yet to be able to reconcile all the transactions and having to do manual entries since the Chase online changes with Quicken. The downloads are messing up existing reconciled records in my register causing transfers and payments to mess up all my accounts. Quicken should develop a way to help audit the downloads and avoid changes that will mess up all the accounts we have setup.
  • Wayne Daren
    Wayne Daren Member ✭✭
    Today's update changed nothing.
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭
    There was an update today?
  • quipmclean
    quipmclean Member
    I agree - a nightmare. Although I selected the new account be matched to an existing Chase account in Quicken, it created a new account and dumped transactions from mid-June into it, losing the categorization and reconciliation information in the process. Aarrgh !
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭
    I tried the new update.  It does find for me the existing account to link to and update. However, before the update, this was able to be accomplished by just going through the options of using existing account and navigating the pull down where it lists existing Quicken accounts to select from.  My biggest problem is still as before. The months of data (yeah back to June for me too) replaces reconciled transactions in all cases wiping out category so transfers impacted and throwing all other account balances out of wack.  I don't understand why it doesn't just list them all in the download window where some are matched and others are indicated as new so that anything not needed can be deleted.  Instead it touches existing registered transactions (even reconciled (R) ones) which it should not do and major cause of these problems.
  • cbd19137
    cbd19137 Member ✭✭
    Every time there is an upgrade to improve the online connectivity to a bank, credit or financial institution, I have had a problem. Always. The Chase connectivity issue is the latest. It began in July after a Quicken email warned me of a pending upgrade to Chase. Bank of America is coming soon according to an August email from Quicken. These are all supposed to speed up or reduce issues by discontinuing the Direct Connect and Express Web Connect services, and updating to a new method of providing data to applications like Quicken, called EWC+.

For the past several years, a combination of "web connect" and "direct connect" seemed to work. Chase was always the slowest as it had the oldest method, so I can see why they went first to the upgrade. When the upgrade time came for Chase, I opened Quicken up the last week of July and was directed through a process to improve the Chase connection. It took me through an external website (i.e. Chase) to authenticate my Chase account, and I received an email saying I now share information with Quicken. All good. But the next step asked if I wanted a new Chase account to be created in Quicken, or did I want to use the old one. I wanted the old one, chose that and completed the process. What happened however was that it created a new account separate from my old one. I deleted the new account, and repeated the entire process, which now results in an error OL-362-A from my Bank of America accounts, plus I have no connectivity to Chase.

I called Support, opened a case, but it has not been resolved two weeks later.
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭
    That is terrible scenario.  Don't think Quicken did a good job at testing any if this.
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭
    I've just been going straight to Chase web site and in account activity downloading QFX file using range of date for transactions not already downloaded and reconciled in my quicken register.  You would think the new connection method would allow for something like this to avoid the hassle of manually requesting transactions based on date range and downloading file to import.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    Gary Mock said:
    This change between Quicken and Chase Bank is a nightmare. I am trying to make a decision as to try and work with it or close my accounts at Chase and move to another bank. I have been using Quicken since the original DOS version and the only problems I have had is with Chase. I was on line for 45 minutes with Chase on line support yesterday and the tech did not have a clue. The only reason I am with Chase is because of mergers and acquisitions by Chase. This sucks.
    Hello @Gary Mock

I am sorry to hear about this online banking service problem. Thank you for discussing this here on the Quicken Community.

What seems to be happening with your Chase accounts at the moment? I would be happy to work with you on this, if I could have some more details about the problems as they appear, now. 

I hope to hear back from you soon. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • gables79
    gables79 Member
    Just got off the phone with Chase Online technical support. They say it is Quicken's fault. Quicken blames Chase. 30+ year Quicken user here and now it looks I will either need to find a new bank or dump Quicken. Given that I have multiple accounts with Chase, it looks like Quicken will be the loser
  • kem070396
    kem070396 Member ✭✭
    > @gables79 said:
    > Just got off the phone with Chase Online technical support. They say it is Quicken's fault. Quicken blames Chase. 30+ year Quicken user here and now it looks I will either need to find a new bank or dump Quicken. Given that I have multiple accounts with Chase, it looks like Quicken will be the loser

I have been without the ability to download transactions and correctly reconcile several accounts for 21 days now. I was suffering from about half of the complaints (duplicating entered transactions for 3 months, balances being off, having to reset the cloud account why? I don't use the cloud !). I don't understand why this has gone on for so long? Was this process TESTED? It appears not.
  • Ansar
    Ansar Member ✭✭
    @gables79
    Same here. 30 years with Q. Lots of accounts in Q. All at Chase. What did you do? Did you try a new bank, dump Q or make the change? Ansar