Single Password for File and Vault

I am an experienced user, and have simple needs.  It is annoying to enter the file password to open the file and then the vault password to update accounts.  99% of the time I open the file I want to update the accounts.  Please allow for the file password and the vault password to work in lock-step.  If I have the password to open the file, I would like that to enable me to also update the file.  It would save me several steps, nearly every day.  thank you
1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you have concerns about unauthorized access to Quicken by other persons which cannot be eliminated by setting and using a Windows Lock password to secure your computer, I would suggest getting rid of the data file password.
    I don't know if Quicken will be able to get totally rid of the Vault Password since it's the only security measure to prevent others from getting access to your real bank accounts, but ... many banks using Direct Connect as the transaction download method are converting to "Express Web Connect" or "Express Web Connect+". Using this new connection method, all bank account passwords are now stored only on a Quicken server and not in the Vault any longer. That means that eventually the Password Vault will be empty and, with a software change, could be made optional. Don't ask when "eventually" will be ... :wink:
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    They tried what you are asking several years ago, overall, it was an abysmal failure, it was removed.
    Use a password manager and you only have to open it at the beginning of the day and it can supply all of the passwords you are asking about.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • rbienenfeld
    rbienenfeld Windows Beta Beta
    I have a different perspective.  I can imagine needing to prevent access to the file, but once the file is open, it seems that the password vault goes along with the file, so the password vault should be automatically unlocked if the file is password protected.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would make sense if the file password was really a secure password.  What do I mean by that?  Well, Quicken can remove it and it does not encrypt your data file.  In fact, with a little information about transactions in your data file, anybody can remove the data file password.  I don't consider that to be much of a password.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list