Dealing with Zero coupon Treasuries and other Disc/Prem Bonds

Quicken currently treats the difference in the purchase price of zero cpn Treasuries and the redemption price as Capital Gains; it is not. It is INTEREST INCOME. I presume Quicken similarly handles other discounted bond purchases/redemptions (and premium bond purchases/redemptions the same way? In this case it can be a combination of interest and capital gains/losses. Brokerage houses must follow the IRS guidelines in reporting this on YE 1099. Can Quicken do the same?
1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• David Roehl
    David Roehl Member, Windows Beta Beta
    I agree with this.  Maybe in the transaction categories, you could add a bond maturity versus bonds sold.  It could get to be a very complex treatment for proper tax reporting, which users should arguably rely on their brokerage reporting.  How good does the investing piece really want to be?  I still can't believe you can't automatically provide a maturity date on a bond.  This is static info that should be able to be pulled in.
  • David Roehl
    David Roehl Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Another consideration is for the security list.  Just like when looking at accounts, you can hide older or hidden accounts.  When can't the securities drop down list for transaction entry NOT include securities that are past a maturity or expiration date (options and bonds).  Give us a toggle for all securities or active securities.