AMEX transactions have stopped downloading

SDUPONT
SDUPONT Member
I've gotten none since December 2021. There doesn't seem to be an option to download into quicken from the AMEX website either. Is this fixable?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    edited September 6
    SDUPONT said:
    I've gotten none since December 2021. There doesn't seem to be an option to download into quicken from the AMEX website either. Is this fixable?
    Hello @SDUPONT

I do apologize about this problem with account downloads. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community. 

First, are you receiving any error messages in association with any of these American Express accounts? Also, what Connection Type are you currently making use of in order to add or link your accounts to online banking services? Please note that you can verify this anytime by selecting an account from the Account List in the left-hand panel of the Quicken window and then clicking on the Settings button denoted by the 'gear' icon in the lower right-hand corner of the screen. Next, go to the Downloads tab in the new window that appears afterward. 

I look forward to your reply. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • SDUPONT
    SDUPONT Member
    I neglected to mention that I have Quicken for Mac. That may account for my not finding any TOOLS listing in my menu bar. I did get into the update box, and the connection I made yesterday with Amex was marked as successful with 0 downloads and has the green dot. Is there a different way to find the Account List to edit?
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    SDUPONT said:
    I neglected to mention that I have Quicken for Mac. That may account for my not finding any TOOLS listing in my menu bar. I did get into the update box, and the connection I made yesterday with Amex was marked as successful with 0 downloads and has the green dot. Is there a different way to find the Account List to edit?
    Hello @SDUPONT

I do apologize if my earlier post caused any confusion; thank you for getting back to me with more information.

I have updated my previous reply to include clearer Quicken for Mac instructions. In addition to looking into the Connection Type, you can also try creating a test file, if you have the chance. It would help us to troubleshoot the situation if you could save a backup by going to File > Save a Backup... in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open and then create a new 'test' data file by following the steps listed below:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Select New
    3. Select Start from scratch, click Next
    4. Choose appropriate default categories based on geographic location, click Next
    5. Choose Don't use Quicken Mobile & Web, click Next 

You may then add your American Express-affiliated account(s) in the newly created data file by choosing your financial institution and entering your credentials as prompted. I am curious whether or not these issues continue in this data file. 

I look forward to hearing about your results.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • SDUPONT
    SDUPONT Member
    Jared,
    I did what you suggested and successfully downloaded Amex transactions back to June 2022. I'm still missing Jan.-June, and it opened 3 more AMex accounts with $0 balance. But more disturbing, I now cannot see any of my other accounts. I went to Hide and Show accounts and the only accounts there are the newly created Amex ones. I shut down Quicken and rebooted it, but the info was the same. I certainly hope I can retrieve my other accounts without going back to my backup disc. Any suggestions?
  • SDUPONT
    SDUPONT Member
    My connection type is Quicken Connect.
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 9
    @SDUPONT Jared had you create a new Quicken file, that's why you can only see your Amex accounts. If you go to the File menu & select Open Recent, it should show a list of Quicken files you've recently had open including your regular Quicken file with all your accounts in it. 

Now that you've been able to successfully connect a new file to your Amex accounts, Jared can move on to the next step of trying to fix the connection for your existing Quicken file.
    Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.
  • SDUPONT
    SDUPONT Member
    Sorry, I mixed up file with account! I now have access to both files and all my accounts. Can I integrate the files so AMEX will download into my established account in the original file as it does in the newly created file?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You can add a credit card account to more than one Quicken file, if that's what you're wanting to do. Or am I not understanding the question?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • SDUPONT
    SDUPONT Member
    I don't want to add an account. I am trying to figure out why my Amex account info doesn't download into my existing account in the file with all the other accounts. Opening a new account in another file was a first step that Jared was trying, to figure out my problem. I think I may have lost him.
  • jacobs
    Ah, I re-read from the top, and I understand. Yes, the test file was to see if your Amex account would connect and download successfully into a new empty file. And apparently it does, which is good. So now in  your real data file, you should try disconnecting the Amex account from downloads. Then you'll try to configure it for downloads again. Here, there's a fork in the road. Quicken will ask if you want to add a new account or link to an existing account. You want to link you your existing account, not create a new one, so you should try that option first. Hopefully it works, and you're done. If that fails again, then you can disconnect and reconnect, this time creating a new account in Quicken. If that works, it's easy to move all the transactions from your existing Amex account in Quicken into the new one, and then delete the old one, so you're back in operation with al your Amex transaction s in one account register.

If any of that isn't clear, or you try it and it doesn't work, please post back. 
  • SDUPONT
    SDUPONT Member
    This worked, but it loaded fewer transactions than what I was able to download into an account I created in a new file. Is there any way to copy those transactions and paste them into my main account file?
  • SDUPONT
    SDUPONT Member
    Is there any way to copy and paste transactions from one account into another account in a different file?
  • jacobs
    No.

There's one way to achieve such a result that I'm aware of, and it's likely only worth it if you have a very large number of transactions which are missing. What you would need to do is make a copy of the data file you want to copy transactions from. Open the copy of the file, and delete every account except the Amex one. Then delete all the transactions in that account which are already present in your new data file, so that all that's remaining in this file are the transactions you want to move into your other file. Next, you can export this data file as a QXF file. Then open your real data file, select File > Import > Quicken Windows File (QDF, QFX) and it will import from the file with just the Amex account transactions. It will create a new account, so finally you would transfer the imported transactions into your real Amex account and delete the empty imported one. Voila! ;) Please make a copy of your data files before doing any of this, in case anything goes wrong.