Quicken emailing me that membership expired, but long-standing auto categorization problem

dental_floss
dental_floss Member ✭✭
I Keep getting emails from Quicken saying my membership has expired and that I can renew it. I’ve had problems with auto categorization of my downloaded transactions for several years now, and never saw a solution come through, even as of last month.

I understand Quicken wants my business, however I also want to know that a solution has been added for the long-standing auto categorization problem before I decide to sign up again. My previous comments on this topic have been closed, however I never saw a solution and nobody from Quicken stated that a solution was in place.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    I Keep getting emails from Quicken saying my membership has expired and that I can renew it. I’ve had problems with auto categorization of my downloaded transactions for several years now, and never saw a solution come through, even as of last month.

I understand Quicken wants my business, however I also want to know that a solution has been added for the long-standing auto categorization problem before I decide to sign up again. My previous comments on this topic have been closed, however I never saw a solution and nobody from Quicken stated that a solution was in place.
    Hello @dental_floss,   

I apologize about this issue with categorization of transactions. Thank you for reaching out about this here on the Quicken Community.

First, what seems to be happening, specifically, with the categories of your downloaded transactions? Are items missing or appearing incorrectly? Also, are you noticing this problem with one account or financial institution, in particular? What steps have you taken thus far to remedy this problem?

We can provide further assistance once we know more detail about the matter. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • dental_floss
    dental_floss Member ✭✭
    Hello,

Quicken Mac categorizes my downloaded transactions by default, and there is no setting to disable this. Happens for any account I have (credit card/checking/saving). Downloaded data should be raw and not doctored (by default).

I've tried almost everything under the sun. Update MacOS. Update Quicken. Start from fresh datafile. Turn off Quicken Cloud (that was causing the problem at one time). Turn off all settings that might be tangentially related.

Other threads related to this:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7871413/quickfill-and-auto-categorization-should-be-off-by-default-q-mac#latest

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7914587/disabling-of-auto-categorization-is-not-working-again-help#latest

Quicken Windows had a setting that directly disabled auto-categorization (at least it did years ago), but Quicken Mac has not had a direct setting to disable auto-categorization for the last few years.

I've also contacted support directly with this problem and never received a lasting solution.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @dental_floss You say you have turned off all setting stat might be related… have you un-selected the check box in Preferences > Connected Services > "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories"? That is the setting which should disable auto-categorization of transactions. You're saying you turned that checkbox off, and the transactions are still being auto-categorized? And you don't have any local QuickFill rules for the payees which get auto-categorized? 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • dental_floss
    dental_floss Member ✭✭
    You are correct.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    And do you use the Quicken mobile app or web interface? Or more specifically, do you have Sync enabled in Preferences? If yes, the transactions may be getting auto-categorized in the cloud version of your data. To prevent that, I would turn Sync off, then go to Preferences > Connected Services and click Reset to delete your existing cloud file. With Sync turned off, your transactions won’t be recreated and updated in the cloud.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • dental_floss
    dental_floss Member ✭✭
    For a long time, I have not used the mobile app or web interface. Sync was not enabled. I had done a reset several times in then past. All of your observations, while good, have already been reviewed and/or attempted when I worked with customer support.

My request to Quicken was to have a basic mechanism to enable auto-categorization, if the user desired, but by default it should be off. Further, enabling additional functionality like the mobile app or web interface should not prevent the user from being able to keep the auto categorization disabled.

As Quicken went through then debug process with me, frustration grew. It should not be this complicated. By reviewing all the comments on this issue to date, I hope that is a conclusion that others will make also.