Cannot connect Betterment Cash Reserve account

Val Anne Beth Welch
Val Anne Beth Welch Member ✭✭✭
This morning, September 14th, I tried to add a new cash reserve account through Betterment to Quicken. I have entered my email and password multiple times but the dialog tells me I'm not entering the right information and I know I am. I even went on to my Betterment account and changed my password just so I knew it was correct. My sign in information is correct but I still cannot connect my account.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    This morning, September 14th, I tried to add a new cash reserve account through Betterment to Quicken. I have entered my email and password multiple times but the dialog tells me I'm not entering the right information and I know I am. I even went on to my Betterment account and changed my password just so I knew it was correct. My sign in information is correct but I still cannot connect my account.
    Hello @Val Anne Beth Welch,  

I am sorry to hear about this issue with online banking services. Thank you for speaking to us about this here on the Quicken Community. 

Are you receiving any particular error code when trying to add or link your accounts, such as FDP-103, or Error 2000? Also, have you tried typing your credentials out in a notepad document to confirm they are correct? Try saving a backup by navigating to File > Save a Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, then proceed through the steps listed below:

First, deactivate all the accounts with the affected financial institution
    1. Open Quicken.
    2. Go to the Accounts menu and choose Hide and Show Accounts;
    3. Uncheck any accounts with this specific financial institution (FI) that are hidden in Lists;
    4. When complete, click on the account name for your account(s) in the Accounts toolbar in Quicken.
    5. Click the Settings icon in the bottom right corner of the screen.
    6. Select the Downloads tab.
    7. Click on Disconnect Account.
    8. Click Done. Do this on each account with this FI. 
    9. Quit Quicken.

Second, delete Quicken passwords from the Keychain

1. Open Finder and go to Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access app;
    2. On the left panel in the Keychain app, set the Keychains to Login and the Category to Passwords.
    3. Find and delete any entries that show Quicken or Quicken Connect and this FI name;
    4. Quit the Keychain Access app and open Quicken.

Third, update the bank list in Quicken

1. Go to Accounts > New and pick an account type matching one of the affected accounts.
    2. At the bottom of the window that lists the financial institutions, click the "My bank is not listed" question mark icon; then click Update List.
    3. When the list finishes updating, it will display the current date. Click the Show List button to continue.

Lastly, re-add the accounts

1. Type the name of the financial institution and make the appropriate selection.
    2. Enter your login credentials and click Continue.
    3. When Quicken has returned all accounts discovered for this FI, very carefully LINK each of the found accounts to the appropriate account you already have setup in Quicken.
    I look forward to hearing your answers, and I hope to continue working with you on this issue, if necessary. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Since I cannot link the account to Betterment in the first place, deactivating it is not applicable, since it's not activated. The step where I would delete passwords from the keychain is not applicable because I couldn't set up the account for downloads meaning there is no password to delete. The bank list is updated. Betterment shows in the list and I select it, but this is the screen I get when I enter in my email and password which I know is correct:
  • Quicken Jared
    edited September 15
    Since I cannot link the account to Betterment in the first place, deactivating it is not applicable, since it's not activated. The step where I would delete passwords from the keychain is not applicable because I couldn't set up the account for downloads meaning there is no password to delete. The bank list is updated. Betterment shows in the list and I select it, but this is the screen I get when I enter in my email and password which I know is correct:

Thanks for getting back to me with more information about what is happening. I do apologize; I had thought that perhaps you were operating older accounts through Betterment, as well.

In this case, it will help us isolate the source of the issue by creating a 'test' file in order to see if this problem continues across data files. Save a backup by navigating to File > Save a Backup... in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open and then create a new 'test' data file by following the steps listed below:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Select New
    3. Select Start from scratch, click Next
    4. Choose appropriate default categories based on geographic location, click Next
    5. Choose Don't use Quicken Mobile & Web, click Next 

You may then add your Betterment-affiliated account(s) in the newly created data file by choosing your financial institution and entering your credentials as prompted, after navigating to the Add Account button denoted by the '+' symbol in the upper left-hand side of the screen. I am curious whether or not these issues continue in this data file. 

I hope to hear more from you about your results after this has been attempted. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Val Anne Beth Welch
    edited September 15
    OK, I followed your suggestions above. I get the same thing; the dialog tells me I'm not entering the correct username and password. And just to reiterate, I can access my Betterment account just fine on the web using the username and password I'm entering on Quicken.
  • Quicken Jared
    OK, I followed your suggestions above. I get the same thing; the dialog tells me I'm not entering the correct username and password. And just to reiterate, I can access my Betterment account just fine on the web using the username and password I'm entering on Quicken.

Thanks for letting me know about what you saw following these troubleshooting efforts. I am very sorry to hear that this continues even in the test file.

Given the nature of the problem, and the fact that it persists over data files, I recommend reaching out to Betterment support with respect to this problem. If you can, requesting to speak with 'Tier 2' representatives or an escalations team can make this process easier, as these individuals are most likely to have knowledge of third-party applications, like Quicken. I wish I could provide more information from the Quicken Community, but it sounds as though information being provided by the financial institution is related, based on the results of the tests we have run. 

I hope that is helpful, and feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Val Anne Beth Welch
    edited September 16
    Thank you. I contacted Betterment and it went about as well as you would expect. I reported the problem to them and their response was, "we're not seeing any issues with Quicken on our end" I said, "it could be a new issue and that's why I'm reporting it". Their response was "try a different browser". Yeah I wish I could say I was making this up but I'm not. I even asked for a "tier 2" representative and she didn't even know what that was. I'm at a dead end with this apparently.

Epilogue: I just got an email from Betterment as a followup. They say Betterment doesn't support Quicken. OK. Then I'm wondering why it's even in the drop down list?
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Val Anne Beth Welch
    Have you tried searching here in the Quicken Community for "Betterment"? There seems to be many others facing the same issue you are reporting.

Quicken Mac Subscription
    macOS Monterey 12.4 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • @lhossus I did do a search before I posted my question and didn’t find anything. But I searched again after I read your post and found several threads where others are having the same problem I am. I read some of them and it seems Betterment DOES support Quicken. Or it’s supposed to. I find it odd that the rep from Betterment sent me an email stating that Betterment DOESN’T support Quicken. Now I’m confused. Do they or don’t they? I have no idea.