Apply renaming rules before matching transactions

I have a number of recurring transactions with the same amount. Automatic transaction match invariably mismatches these transactions, requiring me to "reject automatic transaction match" and manually re-match each one. Setting renaming rules does not work since it does not appear to apply renaming rules before matching. However, if renaming rules were applied first, then automatic matching should be unmistakable.
Tagged:
1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21
    Posted for Quicken Windows, when this is about Quicken Mac.

Actually renaming rules do happen before they match, but the reason why you see the mismatched transactions is because they don't use the payee names to match transactions.

The payee name isn't considered reliable enough to match to.

EDIT.  Note that the renaming rules are done once during the downloading of the transactions.  Whereas matching is redone whenever things are changed.  For instance if you change the amount of a transaction in your register, it might then match it.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Don Fraser
    Don Fraser Member ✭✭
    That doesn't seem entirely to be what I'm observing. When I reject the errant automatic transaction match, the unmatched transaction has not been renamed. This is different than "Revert to downloaded payee name" which is still available after rejecting the automatic match, but which when selected also shows the transaction has not been renamed. Regarding whether payee name is reliable, if it were renamed by my rule to the exact payee name on downloading, that would seem a far more reliable match than a common dollar amount that could match with any number of transactions in my register. If it does indeed disregard name, as you say, that explains the bewildering case of mismatching when it has exact name + check number, choosing instead to match a $50 transaction with something completely different. In that case, it seems to me, the method/algorithm needs to change.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I just noticed that this post is in a Quicken Mac forum.  I'm not sure if I posted in the wrong category, or if it got moved. My answer above was for Quicken Windows.  Sorry to mislead you.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Don Fraser
    Don Fraser Member ✭✭
    Yes, this was posted in Quicken Mac - I wondered if that might be the case when I saw your signature - no worries. Thanks!