New Pending transaction shows incorrect total on Account Bar [edited]

If you enter in your transactions before download and a pending transaction is detected at your bank is shows in a new pending download tab in register and account shows correct online balance pre pending but account bar on left shows the total with pending so the transactions double up. the only way is to turn off pending transactions benieth account (it would be nice if this was a global option) I would like the feature to work but not change totals (or at lest better options to match a pending transaction to an entered transaction) this makes the side account bar totals incorrect please fix add more options.
This seems to happen with we connect EWC+ downloads not sure about other ones. IN the pre web connect plus it would actually enter a pending transaction in the register (ie transfers from 1 account to the other same day) PLease make more user friendly and accurate as I would like this feature turned on but to not make incorrect totals
17 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited September 2022
    Hello @JKQUESTIONS,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to the Community with your request.

I went ahead and changed your post to an Idea so other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea by clicking the up arrow (see below).

Ideas are also reviewed by our Development and Product teams in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers.

Please, be sure to add your own vote as well.

-Quicken Jasmine
  • K109
    K109 Member ✭✭✭
    I'm trying to vote and it says "Category is not configured for ideation"
  • Debbie
    Debbie Member
    If the "pending" transaction would appear as "uncategorized" in a transaction report that was sorted by Tag, you would be able to see the transaction there.
  • Hello @K109,

I have moved this discussion to an idea category, you should now be able to add your vote!
    -Quicken Jasmine
  • JKQUESTIONS
    JKQUESTIONS Member ✭✭
    > @Debbie said:
    > If the "pending" transaction would appear as "uncategorized" in a transaction report that was sorted by Tag, you would be able to see the transaction there.

it is a new tab in today's updates that your bank account has a pending transactions in a tab below register. nO way to add pending to register and no way to reconcile link them to register and if you manually enter in register then the tab on the account bars shows wrong amount unless you turn off the feature. Needs more work but will be nice when works user friendlyvand correct with totals
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The account sidebar balance is supposed to be controllable by a popup menu
    The setting is selectable in EWC or EWC+ connected accounts with this new icon:
    and it's supposed to be working as of R 44.20

• K109
    K109 Member ✭✭✭
    The option for including or excluding from ending and current balances is grayed out for me. It can't be turned on or off. Only the ability to hide or show pending transactions.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    K109 said:
    The option for including or excluding from ending and current balances is grayed out for me. It can't be turned on or off. Only the ability to hide or show pending transactions.
    Stay tuned. I have the sneaky suspicion that one of the programmers is running around, blushing, and working on a fix.
    :wink:
  • jaws2
    jaws2 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    No offense to @Quicken Jasmine intended, but I think this is a problem that needs to be fixed as opposed to an idea for enhancement.  I did up vote it though for lack of any other recourse at this time.  Perhaps having a global option, which I agree with is necessary, could be considered an enhancement but not the ability to exclude pending transactions from the account balances without hiding them all together.
  • jaws2
    jaws2 Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you @ukr.  Hopefully they will get this bug fixed sooner rather than later so your workaround will work.  
  • joecg
    joecg Member ✭✭✭
    It seems this new feature now requires me to go manually change the 18 Chase accounts I have in Quicken so they don't exhibit this balance problem, by selecting "Hide pending transactions" on each account and waiting for it to process. Repeat. Why are pending transactions a thing? It is not helpful, and forcing it's inclusion as a default is a product management blunder.
  • JKQUESTIONS
    JKQUESTIONS Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > The account sidebar balance is supposed to be controllable by a popup menu
    > The setting is selectable in EWC or EWC+ connected accounts with this new icon:and it's supposed to be working as of R 44.20

I had to turn hide pending transactions for the sidebar to show correct amounts. and the exclude was not able to be turned off and on it was greyed out. the balances at the bottom of the register were correct. blances on the accounts bar on the left were you pick the accounts were showing totals with pending transactions added to what was in the register which made it double all non reconciled transactions in that type of system you could only use downloaded transactions and not enter in advance without totals being off. in my copy of of quicken it acts like a bug or broken feature
  • JKQUESTIONS
    JKQUESTIONS Member ✭✭
    > @joecg said:
    > It seems this new feature now requires me to go manually change the 18 Chase accounts I have in Quicken so they don't exhibit this balance problem, by selecting "Hide pending transactions" on each account and waiting for it to process. Repeat. Why are pending transactions a thing? It is not helpful, and forcing it's inclusion as a default is a product management blunder.

I agree its buggy and had to do the same thing
    Quicken please respond and fix I even uploaded it as a bu in the program and have not heard a responce
  • JohnL.Miller
    JohnL.Miller Member ✭✭✭
    I don't even have the option to turn pending transactions on or off.  Where is it?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't even have the option to turn pending transactions on or off.  Where is it?
    Please reread the entire discussion and you'll find the images showing where this setting is hiding.

• K109
    K109 Member ✭✭✭
    If you click the down arrow by the hourglass in the bottom middle of the register, it allows you to turn on and off the pending transactions. You have to do this for each account register individually.
  • JKQUESTIONS
    JKQUESTIONS Member ✭✭
    > @K109 said:
    > If you click the down arrow by the hourglass in the bottom middle of the register, it allows you to turn on and off the pending transactions. You have to do this for each account register individually.
    >

yes I already found the way to turn it off an on individually but you should be able to turn off gloably or be able to keep the feature on and have it not include the pending transactions in the toolbar of accounts on the left for current balance
  • stever21
    stever21 Member ✭✭
    Agree that this needs to be fixed ASAP as it is causing double counting of transactions in my account balance.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    that dropdown option to turn off pending transactions,,,,either there is a misunderstanding of its intent or it doesn't work, 

if I understand it correctly, the option only changes the ENDING BALANCE if the Bank is including the pending transactions in that ENDING BALANCE.  Having worked at BofA, those pending transactions are considered 'soft posts' and will NOT be included in the ENDING BALANCE.  I suspect other banks works similarly.

the pending transactions are not in the reconciliation screens from what I have observed, which makes sense since they are 'soft' and not in the balances reported by the bank in most instances. (I can only speak from my BofA experience) 

if the pending transactions are not in the ENDING BALANCE, there doesn't seem to be a way to exclude them from the side bar balance,.  THAT IS THE ISSUE.

This should not be an 'IDEA'.  Rather it reflects lack of customer feedback and analysis of the enhancement prior to its implementation!!!  
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    the other problem is that when sorting all the transactions in the register, the unclear transactions sort is "odd" - the pending transactions sort at the top of the register and the uncleared transactions sort at the bottom of the register (of vice versa if you sort the register the other way).  As the uncleared transactions and the pending transactions are both forms of uncleared transactions, why don't they sort next to year other? 

I like sorting by the CLR field as I can quickly see that the reconciled transactions match the Bank Balance.  Given how the sort order now works, this doesn't work with pending transactions.  A really poor design.  Whose idea was this and was it vetted with customers? 
  • jaws2
    jaws2 Member ✭✭✭
    @Mark1104 - Selecting "Hide Pending Transactions" worked for me.  Doing so removed those transactions from the account balances on the account bar.  The tab that showed them at the bottom of the register is also gone.  My online account balances were always correct before and after selecting that option.  It sounds to me from your second post that in your case the pending transactions are actually posted to your register.  I'm not sure how as, even though I wouldn't ever want that, I don't even have an option to do so.  Perhaps you have your Preferences (Edit/Preferences/Downloaded Transactions) set to automatically add downloaded transactions to your register?   My checkboxes are off.
  • JKQUESTIONS
    JKQUESTIONS Member ✭✭
    > @jaws2 said:
    > @Mark1104 - Selecting "Hide Pending Transactions" worked for me.  Doing so removed those transactions from the account balances on the account bar.  The tab that showed them at the bottom of the register is also gone.  My online account balances were always correct before and after selecting that option.  It sounds to me from your second post that in your case the pending transactions are actually posted to your register.  I'm not sure how as, even though I wouldn't ever want that, I don't even have an option to do so.  Perhaps you have your Preferences (Edit/Preferences/Downloaded Transactions) set to automatically add downloaded transactions to your register?   My checkboxes are off.

I manually enter things in the register daily if it downloads and adds the pending then everything double up. There should be a way to turn off add to totals in the accounts bar. The totals button is greys out underneath and the register totals for online and current balance always show correct but the accounts bar adds the pending. there should be buttons to turn it off and on. Its acting as though people don't enter things manually in quicken and always just download. If its going to change totals it should allow you to match the pending transactions. I think these needs to be streamlines and corrected
  • JKQUESTIONS
    JKQUESTIONS Member ✭✭
    > @Mark1104 said:
    > the other problem is that when sorting all the transactions in the register, the unclear transactions sort is "odd" - the pending transactions sort at the top of the register and the uncleared transactions sort at the bottom of the register (of vice versa if you sort the register the other way).  As the uncleared transactions and the pending transactions are both forms of uncleared transactions, why don't they sort next to year other? 
    >
    > I like sorting by the CLR field as I can quickly see that the reconciled transactions match the Bank Balance.  Given how the sort order now works, this doesn't work with pending transactions.  A really poor design.  Whose idea was this and was it vetted with customers? 

Pending transactions would be nice to be aware of but they should be able to be matched to register and not change totals unless a checkbox or pending reconcile is matched
  • PK2K
    PK2K Member ✭✭
    Agree with all previous posts that: 1) this is an 'issue' not a future 'idea' because, as already mentioned, for those of us who have already entered the transactions which the back still considers 'pending' causes a 'double up' and 2) the 'pending transactions' don't include pending 'payments'
    Specifically, I downloaded data this morning Oct 2, and the bank online balance for a Chase credit card correctly shows as 182.87. On the Chase site, the 'pending transactions' show as: 09-30-22 pending charge $112.25 and 10-01-22 pending payment <295.12>, for a correct net 'pending charges' per the Bank of <182.87>, which would bring my account balance to zero & agree to my Quicken Register. (since I'd already entered both of these pending transactions into Quicken) Instead, Only the 112.25 pending charge appears in the 'pending transactions' section. It seems that if this functionality to 'include pending transactions' is going to work, then there further needs to be the ability to add and/or 'match' the transactions to the Quicken register. In reality, they should ONLY impact the downloaded 'BANK BALANCE' not the Quicken register balance. For most longtime Quicken users, who already have plenty of 'reminders' etc such that out Quicken/'book' register is MORE accurate than the bank, this doesn't work at all to then further include unmatched 'pending transactions.' The idea of 'adding pending transactions' to the Quicken register balance only works for users who rely SOLELY on the bank balance, which doesn't seem to represent the typical Quicken user because the whole point of having Quicken is to be able to know/project what your real 'book' account balances are...

Meanwhile, just like many of the others who've already commented, I'm now 1) manually/individually turning off 'pending transactions' for every account and 2) wish that there was a way to do this globally.
    Once again, if this 'pending transactions' functionality is 'here to stay,' then please change it to allow users to match or add these transactions to the Quicken Register rather than just including the pending transactions total into the Quicken register balance.
  • rpgarrett75703
    rpgarrett75703 Member ✭✭✭
    I don't have a problem with showing pending transactions since they are not actually entered in the register. I just don't want pending transactions that appear in the Pending Transactions list included in the Account Bar. In my case I like to sometimes manually enter a transaction in the register (if I remember to do so). This transaction is an uncleared transaction AKA a pending transaction. If I choose to show pending transactions then not only is the pending transaction included in the Account Bar total but so is the uncleared transaction that I manually entered in the register. The uncleared (pending) transaction in the register and the transaction shown in the Pending Transactions list are the same transaction but Quicken is counting its value twice in the Account Bar. I would think this should be a simple fix for Quicken since they already provide the option to Show/Hide pending transactions. If they insist on including that functionality they should at least provide an additional option that prevents any transaction that appears in the Pending Transaction list from being included in the Account Bar. Any uncleared transaction manually entered in the register should continue to be reflected in the Account Bar.
  • rpgarrett75703
    rpgarrett75703 Member ✭✭✭
    I don't have a problem with showing pending transactions since they are not actually entered in the register. I just don't want pending transactions that appear in the Pending Transactions list included in the Account Bar. In my case I like to sometimes manually enter a transaction in the register (if I remember to do so). This transaction is an uncleared transaction AKA a pending transaction.  If I choose to show pending transactions then not only is the pending transaction included in the Account Bar total but so is the uncleared transaction that I manually entered in the register. The uncleared (pending) transaction in the register and the transaction shown in the Pending Transactions list are the same transaction but Quicken is counting its value twice in the Account Bar. I would think this should be a simple fix for Quicken since they already provide the option to Show/Hide pending transactions. If they insist on including that functionality they should at least provide an additional option that prevents any transaction that appears in the Pending Transaction list from being included in the Account Bar. Any uncleared transaction manually entered in the register should continue to be reflected in the Account Bar.
  • JKQUESTIONS
    JKQUESTIONS Member ✭✭
    > @rpgarrett75703 said:
    > I don't have a problem with showing pending transactions since they are not actually entered in the register. I just don't want pending transactions that appear in the Pending Transactions list included in the Account Bar. In my case I like to sometimes manually enter a transaction in the register (if I remember to do so). This transaction is an uncleared transaction AKA a pending transaction.  If I choose to show pending transactions then not only is the pending transaction included in the Account Bar total but so is the uncleared transaction that I manually entered in the register. The uncleared (pending) transaction in the register and the transaction shown in the Pending Transactions list are the same transaction but Quicken is counting its value twice in the Account Bar. I would think this should be a simple fix for Quicken since they already provide the option to Show/Hide pending transactions. If they insist on including that functionality they should at least provide an additional option that prevents any transaction that appears in the Pending Transaction list from being included in the Account Bar. Any uncleared transaction manually entered in the register should continue to be reflected in the Account Bar.

I agree. Quicken please fix this
  • JKQUESTIONS
    JKQUESTIONS Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Jasmine said:
    > Hello @JKQUESTIONS,Thank you for taking the time to reach out to the Community with your request.
    >
    > I went ahead and changed your post to an Idea so other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea by clicking the up arrow (see below).
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Ideas are also reviewed by our Development and Product teams in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers.
    >
    > Please, be sure to add your own vote as well.

Moderator please switch this post back to BUG / Issue. This is not an idea it is more like a broken new feature that needs to fixed
  • BartP
    BartP Member ✭✭
    Pending is really causing issues with card payments. I have entered my monthly payment in to the register based on when I have it scheduled to be paid. The menu total is now counting the payment twice, showing that I have a positive balance instead of the true negative balance. It is counting both the uncleared transaction in the register and the 'pending' transaction with the card company as both being valid payments. This is a mess.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @BartP - while it is hard to find, you can turn off the pending transactions.  at the bottom of the register, there is a very small hourglass placed just to the left of the "ending balance" - you can hide the pending transcations OR you can display the pending transactions, but not display them in the sidebar or the ending balance..... so the option to turn the pending transactions off is there, it is just very hard to find