download problem for tiaa

bill21
bill21 Member ✭✭
edited November 2022 in Investing (Windows)
starting 2 days ago, tiaa download shows zero for holdings and wants to create a placeholder. tried reset, and delete/reinstall acccount. the behavior in the past was to show updated correct holdings and then offer to create a placeholder. running q deluxe on windows 10 on laptop. the holding is a constant-price item whose number of "shares" increases each day to reflect interest earned. any one experiencing similar troubles? solutions?

Comments

• TedP1
    TedP1 Member
    Sometime after Oct 28, 2022 my Quicken for Windows stopped downloading my TIAA Traditional 401K retirement account data. It worked perfectly for two years before this.
  • I am having exactly the same problem. Account shows zero shares of holdings, never a problem before. For me, I believe this began sometime on/after Nov 7.
  • Hello @TedP1 and @wcourtright,

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. 

Is either of you receiving any error codes or messages?

First, I suggest creating a test file and adding the TIAA account(s) to see if it produces the same issues. It is recommended to save a backup before proceeding with troubleshooting steps in the event that you would like to return to your original starting position. Below are instructions on how to create a test file:
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

1. Select New Quicken File.

1. Click OK.
    2. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to tell it apart from your main file. 

Don't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.

1. Sign in with your Quicken ID. If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID but already have one, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 

1. Select to not use Mobile.
    2. Click Add Account to start adding accounts to the new file.

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problems in this test file. 

Please let me know how this goes, I look forward to hearing your response. 
    -Quicken Jasmine
  • It's a widespread problem. Check at least two other threads. I suggest Quicken conduct its troubleshooting rather than having individuals do it separately.
  • FrankP53
    FrankP53 Member
    Same here - and both TIAA and Quicken are unable/unwilling to assist
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    TIAA is sending a 0 for shares held. Q can do nothing  about that.   Bug TIAA to get it right.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    TIAA, not Q, is  the source of this problem.  For other users, TIAA is downloading 0 as the # of units/shares held.
    Bug TIAA to  get their act together.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • RayDoug
    RayDoug Member
    I have same problem. TIAA Traditional has always downloaded with a blank number of shares. I found that if I clicked "accept all" an info pop-up would indicate that there was a discrepancy in the number of TIAA Trad shares, and it would even tell me by how much it was off. I could then enter that amount into the num shares for the downloaded transaction.

Now it doesn't even download a transaction, nor does it indicate a discrepancy. I tend to believe NotACPA in that I suspect the issue is with TIAA not Q.
  • Quicken Deluxe Version R45.11 Build 27.1.45.11

My regular download shows a TIAA Traditional transaction "Added" entry in each of two accounts with no amount shown. This is normal with TIAA Traditional since there aren't really any transactions on most days. The bad part is that the "Shares Reported" by this entry are 0! This is for Traditional in two different accounts. Also for two other active funds, also incorrectly showing 0 shares.

I set up the test file as Jasmine directed. When adding TIAA, Quicken found 4 TIAA accounts, two of which are no longer in use. When I did an update, the balances of TIAA Traditional in the two active accounts are right on the money as shown on their website right now. (Same for the two other funds.)

This indicates to me that TIAA is actually sending correct data. At least Quicken can interpret that in the test file, so it must be coming in. Possibly something is messed up in my "production" file, but others are having the same problem, so not just my file. I ran a file validation with basically clean results (one damaged category fixed). Ran another TIAA update which generated no downloaded transactions.

As a side note, the new file is showing me stuff in an unfamiliar format. E.g., I can't find a way to display my investment account register. It also just starts each investment on an apparently arbitrary date (6/21/22) with the correct share balance at that date, but zero cost.
  • Update: both production and test versions downloaded two "transactions" today. They purport to update holdings of TIAA traditional. Downloads in production version reported 0 shares held. Downloads in test version totally correct.
  • pperegrine
    pperegrine Member ✭✭
    Shares for TIAA are coming in valued at 0, so the amount held changes to 0. This is a Quicken issue, as the "tests" above show. Please fix this!

BTW, I've used Quicken for about 10 years now and it has always had issues with TIAA. Quicken, please work with them and get this fixed.
  • I am having the same issues as others have posted. Using Quicken Deluxe Version R45.11 Build 27.1.45.11.
    TIAA accounts are not downloading properly, account downloads indicate 0 holdings so not in agreement with Quicken. The problem started in last few weeks. Quicken has been having similar issues with Fidelity account downloads also. Seems like Quicken software no longer recognizes TIAA or Fidelity info properly. I agree with others that we as paying customers should not be troubleshooting Quicken software glitches.
  • T Huff
    T Huff Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue where all 6 of my TIAA-CREF accounts now show 0 share balances. I update on weekends. Last weekend it worked perfectly well. It seems to have coincided with a Quicken version upgrade. File validates without issues. Been using Quicken since 1994. I am hoping Quicken can offer a work around or bug fix. I am paying for it afterall.
  • Charlie4
    Charlie4 Member
    I am having the same issue. All of my TiAA accounts have downloaded flawlessly for 20 years. After the recent problem with BOA transactions around nov 15 I waited until Nov 22 to try quicken again and everything works fine with all of my accounts except that TIAA is showing 0 share balances when it should show a balance plus share transactions
  • jgackson
    jgackson Member ✭✭
    Same for me. Multiple accounts for different users, same problem for all ("shares downloaded" shows as zero even though it isn't, verified on TIAA website. No problems with brokerage or retirement accounts at Chase or Fidelity.
  • Quick N. Dirty
    Quick N. Dirty Member ✭✭
    edited November 2022
    #MeToo I have (only) an IRA at TIAA-CREF Brokerage Services which has only one position. The Quicken Update process tells me there are zero shares of that position reported (and offers help in the form of a placeholder transaction). This has been going on for a couple of weeks. Resetting my account online connection did not help.

I also have this account connected to the "Full View" eMoney aggregation tool provided through Fidelity. This connection continues to work properly. Also, I have no problem logging directly into the TIAA website where "all is well".

I suspect the issue is on the TIAA side.
  • Talked with Quicken support and tried creating new test file as mentioned above and still no correct shares downloaded. Support suggested calling TIAA tech support, requesting Tier2 support. TIAA is aware of issue and is working on long term solution but with no ETA. TIAA suggested temporary workaround by changing tracking method for each TIAA account (check box at bottom of edit account screen) from Complete Positons/Transactions to Simple Positions only, then run One Step Update. This results in correct share position downloads but all transaction information is lost. The workaround works but I have now lost all historical transaction info which I would like to keep. Fortunately I have weekly backups which can be restored and are capable of bringing back the previous transaction records. However in doing so it reverts back to the Complete Positions/Transaction tracking screen which will not allow correct future downloads.....argh....
    So my plan is to not worry about transactions info for now, stay in Simple Positions and then when the long term fix has been done restore the most recent backup that includes transactions, rerun One Step Update and hope that share downloads will be correct. There maybe a gazillion transactions depending upon how long it takes for Quicken/TIAA to get long term fix.....another argh!.........
  • You just solved one issue: it turns out my test file account setup defaulted to Simple Positions. I sure didn't do that. My reading of Quicken changes related to Simple Positions is that SP will be the default for new users. That turns out to be incorrect. SP is apparently the default for new files, regardless of whether the user is new.

That SP default setting was apparently why the downloads for that file were showing correct positions. The interesting thing now is that after I set the tracking method to Complete, I see a register which shows the actual transactions from June 2022 to the present, including the Shares Added pseudo-transactions from the interest on Traditional for the period from when I started the test file to where I switched to Complete tracking. That's good. Apparently Simple does retain some transactions.

Alas, now that the test file is set to Complete tracking, the position downloads read 0 shares for Traditional and the other holdings in my accounts.
  • Sounds like the issue is associated with how Quicken is receiving TIAA information for Complete Positions/Tracking. The Simple seems to work but I want the Complete to download shares properly. Well at least TIAA and Quicken are aware of the issue, all we can do as users is inform them of problems, the squeaky is supposed to get greased!
  • David VA
    David VA Member
    Wonder if they ever plan on fixing it.
  • renrut4
    renrut4 Member ✭✭
    > @jgackson said:
    > Same for me. Multiple accounts for different users, same problem for all ("shares downloaded" shows as zero even though it isn't, verified on TIAA website. No problems with brokerage or retirement accounts at Chase or Fidelity.
    >

Same here! On all fronts!
  • T Huff
    T Huff Member ✭✭
    > @"T Huff" said:
    > I have the same issue where all 6 of my TIAA-CREF accounts now show 0 share balances. I update on weekends. Last weekend it worked perfectly well. It seems to have coincided with a Quicken version upgrade. File validates without issues. Been using Quicken since 1994. I am hoping Quicken can offer a work around or bug fix. I am paying for it afterall.

Just updated my Q version today, but the problem still exists. It shows 0 share balances for all my funds. There are placeholder transactions that have the same number of shares that are on TIAA website. It's asking my for the share price. I've been recording the TIAA shares in Quicken for 25 years, so that would lose the history of my share prices and deflate performance calculations. Please tell me there is a fix coming so I can download reliable data, otherwise, what's the point of Quicken?
  • Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams further investigate the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.
    -Quicken Jasmine
  • Speed23
    Speed23 Member
    I reported this same problem in an earlier thread and tried creating a separate file as suggested by Jasmine. It did not work. So I have a laptop that is running an older version of Quicken, Version R42.21, Build 27.1.42.21. I rarely use this laptop with Quicken and thus have not updated the software recently. Last night I ran an update for my TIAA accounts and they updated perfectly vis a vis the number of shares and value. Is there a way to copy and transfer (or otherwise download) the older software version and build of Quicken that works properly with TIAA? If I copy the file with the older software and restore it to my other Quicken-enabled computers, will the older software follow?
  • gwasserm
    gwasserm Member ✭✭
    Both my TIAA account and my Fidelity account recently lost the capability to compare my online positions with that reported in my Quicken register. Specifically, even though my Tools>Online Center balances are reported correctly, when I ask to compare to my portfolio, it states that my online share balance is zero. This is a Quicken problem. The software is simply not working as it should anymore. Quicken is going to lose all of their customers if this keeps up.
  • schau
    schau Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same problem with my TIAA accounts as reported here. Good to see that it isn't just me. I'm not too worried with Quicken thinking shares in quicken don't match share info downloaded since it is downloading transactions correctly and I can do a quick check to see that the numbers are the same. Hope they do fix it, though! My problem is only TIAA. Fidelity, Vanguard work fine.
  • svgl
    svgl Member
    I have the same problem (TIAA accounts show zero balances), and have had it for weeks. Please let us know how the attempt to fix this is going!
  • NebularNovice
    NebularNovice Member ✭✭
    It's nice to be told Quicken is working on it, but it would be much nicer if they actually solved it instead of having to still put up with it two months later!

> @Quicken Jasmine said:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.
    >
    > We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.
    >
    > While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams further investigate the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.
    >
    > We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.
  • gwasserm
    gwasserm Member ✭✭
    This problem has not been resolved when I am reconciling downloaded dividend information on my TIAA traditonal annuity. I am attaching a .pdf file which describes the problem. I think that TIAAtrad is a nonstandard security code that is not in the global database of securities codes. So, some foreign coder was not aware that not all security codes that are used, particularly by TIAA, are not a standard security code.. They did not recognize that this can happen because they are not familiar with Wall Street. I am attaching a pdf, if allowed, an I hope that this might help.
  • gwasserm
    gwasserm Member ✭✭
    Apologize, too many "NOTS" So, some foreign coder was not aware that some security symbols that are downloaded, particularly by TIAA, are not standard. The coders are simply unaware that this occurs all the time, and so a fall Quicken update that was released was allowed to destroy a special Quicken feature that allows the use of nonstandard security symbols that the financial institution uses to generate Quicken downloads. They assume that TIAAtrad is not a real security, and so reports it as "0."