All Quicken functions extremely slow!

A few months ago, Quicken suddenly became sporadically extremely slow. Typing anything into a register was painfully slow. Changing categories, changing accounts, moving the Quicken window, and anything else became unbearably slow. Closing Quicken and restarting it solves the problem temporarily (sometimes for only minutes) but the slowness always returns.

I've tried various troubleshooting suggested here. I validated and repaired my data file. I changed my power plan. I have the latest version. Nothing helps. I have an i5-12600K with 32GB of RAM and nothing but Quicken is slow.

Quicken is painful to use now. Please help.

Best Answer

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello All, 

Thank you for joining this thread to share that you are also experiencing this issue.

We do now have an active alert regarding users experiencing slowness and freezing when attempting to perform a One Step Update. You may follow this link to access that alert where you may bookmark the alert in order to remain up to date on any new information, ETAs, or resolutions that may occur. 

I apologize for any inconvenience caused in the meantime.
    -Quicken Jasmine

Answers

• robkunz1 said:
    A few months ago, Quicken suddenly became sporadically extremely slow. Typing anything into a register was painfully slow. Changing categories, changing accounts, moving the Quicken window, and anything else became unbearably slow. Closing Quicken and restarting it solves the problem temporarily (sometimes for only minutes) but the slowness always returns.

I've tried various troubleshooting suggested here. I validated and repaired my data file. I changed my power plan. I have the latest version. Nothing helps. I have an i5-12600K with 32GB of RAM and nothing but Quicken is slow.

Quicken is painful to use now. Please help.
    Hello @robkunz1,     

I am sorry about this problem with slow performance. Thank you for discussing this with us here on the Quicken Community. 

You may additionally try uninstalling the Quicken software using the steps listed in this Support Article, then deleting Quicken from the Program Files (x86) folder. You may then reinstall the software after following those steps using the steps listed here

I hope to hear back from you about your results. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • tivolo
    tivolo Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @robkunz1 -- When Quicken gets into this state, have you noticed if the Quicken process is consuming a significant amount of CPU time, even while idle? (In your case, "significant" would mean anywhere close to 6% of the CPU as shown in Task Manager. Your CPU is capable of processing 16 concurrent threads, so 6.25% would represent one thread running at full speed.) If not, does the CPU usage go up near 6% as you're typing? If you're not sure how to check this, let me know and I can provide instructions.

The behaviors you describe could be related to an issue I've seen where Quicken is running out of certain resources, a problem made especially worse by One Step Update. I've posted this on a few forum topics now, so the Quicken folks are probably getting tired of me, but it's worth seeing if your issue may have the same root cause.

To check, when Quicken gets into this state, open Task Manager and go to the Details tab. Right-click on the "Name" column header and choose "Select Columns." Add the "User objects" and "GDI objects" columns and click OK. Then, locate "qw.exe" in the process list and note the values in those two columns. If either is close to 10K, then it's likely related to the issue I'm seeing.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Years ago, Quicken would fail to notice the date change if left to run overnight. That problem has been fixed, but I've stayed in the habit of always closing Q when finished with my current task. I still don't trust Q to behave nicely when left open for long periods of time plus restarting causes Q to start fresh with new objects & Windows resources.

If you're game, there are some Windows hacks settings you can try. See this FAQ:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7915476/faq-are-there-any-windows-settings-that-can-improve-quicken-s-performance 
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.
  • dudeskur
    dudeskur Member
    Is this ever going to get fixed Talked with support 2 times to no avail
    they want to blaime my antivirus and my 3 year history. Removed both but did not fix the issue
    Its at its worst when there are transactions not processed.
  • robkunz1
    robkunz1 Member ✭✭
    Responding to the above:

1. CPU usage - QW was typically at 0% at idle. While using QW, CPU usage was typically up to 3% but occasionally briefly spiked to 6-9% while typing.

2. User objects and GDI objects were between 2,000 and 3,000.

3. This was not related to keeping Quicken open overnight.

4. I uninstalled Quicken, deleted the Quicken folder, then reinstalled Quicken. I have not used Quicken extensively yet, but so far the problem seems resolved. I will certainly report back here if the problem returns.
  • robkunz1
    robkunz1 Member ✭✭
    > @robkunz1 said:
    > Responding to the above:
    >
    > 1. CPU usage - QW was typically at 0% at idle. While using QW, CPU usage was typically up to 3% but occasionally briefly spiked to 6-9% while typing.
    >
    > 2. User objects and GDI objects were between 2,000 and 3,000.
    >
    > 3. This was not related to keeping Quicken open overnight.
    >
    > 4. I uninstalled Quicken, deleted the Quicken folder, then reinstalled Quicken. I have not used Quicken extensively yet, but so far the problem seems resolved. I will certainly report back here if the problem returns.

Adding final update:

The following weekend, Quicken updated with the November update. While I did not experience any slowness a few days prior in some brief testing, in full use after the update, I also did not experience any slowness. At this point I assume uninstalling and reinstalling Quicken solved the problem.
  • Reficken
    Reficken Member ✭✭
    I too have 15% spike on CPU and "Very High" on the "Power Usage" when
    a) Starting quicken
    b) Moving from one register to another
    c) During OneStep
    d) Backup/Copy operation
    e) On exit
    The more time it is left running and worked on the slower it gets, to the point of freezing.
  • mitch.trumpetwin
    mitch.trumpetwin Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    I have a solution for the slow screen movement but it is not what you will want to use. 

Type "Performance" in the windows search box and select Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.  Then select adjust for best performance.  Apply. Then the windows movement will be fine. However.... it is not nice looking. This is a Quicken problem... of course. Let me know your thoughts. 

I also tried the graphics card acceleration. My GPU is not supported but I did add Quicken to use GPU acceleration. There was for me a small improvement. 
  • Randall
    Randall Member ✭✭
    edited December 2022
    My One Step update is suddenly not completing. I have had no choice but to end the task as it was updating for over an hour whereas this usually completes in just a few minutes. This should not be occurring. I have completed a super validate and signed in/out of my account since that seems to be the go-to suggestion lately. I have not uninstalled/installed (I did run the Mondo patch) but this install isn't really that old, maybe two- or three-weeks tops. I also have NOT created a new data file which seems to also always be the "Quicken Support" suggestion. Why are updates essentially freezing Quicken to where it is unusable. [Removed - Rant]
  • Diana
    Diana Member ✭✭✭
    I am having the same problem.  It's stuck.  No wheels turning on the screen.  Just did a Cloud reset.  Maybe that had something to do with it.  I'll wait until Quicken fixes it.  Not going to spend hours on this issue.
  • Randall said:
    My One Step update is suddenly not completing. I have had no choice but to end the task as it was updating for over an hour whereas this usually completes in just a few minutes. This should not be occurring. I have completed a super validate and signed in/out of my account since that seems to be the go-to suggestion lately. I have not uninstalled/installed (I did run the Mondo patch) but this install isn't really that old, maybe two- or three-weeks tops. I also have NOT created a new data file which seems to also always be the "Quicken Support" suggestion. Why are updates essentially freezing Quicken to where it is unusable. [Removed - Rant]
    Hello @Randall and Diana,   

I am sorry to hear about these issues with online banking services. Thank you for alerting us to this here on the Quicken Community.

Are either of you operating any Capital One accounts? Also, when you have the opportunity, I do recommend uninstalling the Quicken software using the steps listed in this Support Article, then deleting Quicken from the Program Files (x86) folder. You may then reinstall the software after following those steps using the steps listed here

I look forward to your response. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared. 
  • Jeff Nicoll
    Jeff Nicoll Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Thanks, @tivolo .  I have a somewhat lower power CPU, an i5-8250U with 16 GB RAM and am having the same issues with Quicken slowing and flashing a black display during One Step Update.  By adding those columns to the task manager details tab I can see that Quicken slows down a LOT when "User objects" and "GDI objects" get to about 5000 each.  (Slowing down at 5000 instead of 10000 as you mention is understandable since I have an older processor with fewer cores.)  These are a far greater number of handles than anything else I have running, by a factor of 10 or more. 

Shouldn't Quicken be letting go of these when a task is complete?  Anyway, that's just rhetorical, but it seems a clue that should give the Quicken software people to look at.  It takes a few days and several OSUs to get to that level, but Quicken is probably my most-used application since I retired.  It's always open - closing and re-opening every time I want to use it is a workaround but not a solution. 

BTW, there is an option in the Help menu "Report a Problem..."  I entered this info there.  Let's hope we get results. 
  • terryr
    terryr Member
    I am wondering if it is because it is syncing transactions to the cloud. My Quicken has been awful for the past year. I am going to remove the cloud sync and see if that helps.
  • tivolo
    tivolo Member ✭✭✭
    @Jeff Nicoll Glad you were able to verify that your behavior seems to correlate to the resource leak. As you noted, once the GDI/User Object numbers get "high," the app will slow considerably and start exhibiting strange UI behaviors. At 10K, the app actually crashes. :(

I'm now restarting Quicken daily prior to running OSU in the morning (before opening any registers). As you said, this is a workaround and is definitely annoying for those of us who are used to keeping Quicken open.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope everyone that leaves Quicken open when not in use realizes that your data file is also open and active. If your computer crashes, there's a power outage or your computer goes to sleep, your data file is not closed properly and can cause corruption. 
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • robkunz1
    robkunz1 Member ✭✭
    Update: A few weeks after Quicken Support told me to uninstall and then reinstall Quicken to solve the slowness problem.....the slowness problem has returned! Today Quicken started off ok but soon became brutally slow same as before. However, closing Quicken and then re-opening Quicken temporarily solved the problem.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    tivolo said:
    I'm now restarting Quicken daily prior to running OSU in the morning (before opening any registers). As you said, this is a workaround and is definitely annoying for those of us who are used to keeping Quicken open.
    A long, long time ago, many of us got used to closing Quicken after each use, or at least for overnight, because Quicken failed to notice the date change at midnight. So that next day's scheduled transactions, and anything else date-dependent, failed to operate properly. The date-change problem has long since been fixed, but I still think shutting QWin down when not in use is a good habit.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.
  • tivolo
    tivolo Member ✭✭✭
    @Rocket J Squirrel
    Certainly shutting down the app daily is a good habit, if for no other reason to ensure backups are taken regularly (either by Quicken, the filesystem or a other backup software). I had been closing out once or twice a week for that particular reason, so this just makes me a bit more disciplined. Still, with the rate at which this leak occurs, the threat of crashing the software and possibly corrupting my data is too high for my comfort, so I do hope the Quicken team is able to address this in a timely manner.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello All, 

Thank you for joining this thread to share that you are also experiencing this issue.

We do now have an active alert regarding users experiencing slowness and freezing when attempting to perform a One Step Update. You may follow this link to access that alert where you may bookmark the alert in order to remain up to date on any new information, ETAs, or resolutions that may occur. 

I apologize for any inconvenience caused in the meantime.
    -Quicken Jasmine
  • ddurante
    ddurante Member
    I had this issue for a while now. I found the problem on my end and no one seem to try this. I am running Windows 10 with TPM enable recently. I just disabled TPM in my BIOS ad done no more issues.
  • Marcus G
    Marcus G Member
    I too am SO TIRED of the Quicken Slowness. I also run Quick Books and don't have any issues. I would switch everything over to Quick Books but I cannot download my transactions. So, I guess I'll wait to see if Tech Support resolved this issue in the new year.
  • dudeskur
    dudeskur Member
    ddurante's method worked for me

I had this issue for a while now. I found the problem on my end and no one seem to try this. I am running Windows 10 with TPM enable recently. I just disabled TPM in my BIOS ad done no more issues.
  • mdross171
    mdross171 Member ✭✭
    This is the closest announcement I could find that speaks to the issue: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7925832/ongoing-12-27-22-quicken-performance-issue#latest
  • amfredric
    amfredric Member
    I have the same problem connecting with the Quicken Server. Quicken - please give us an update on the situation. Thank you.
  • tompfr
    tompfr Member ✭✭
    Hi, I am using Quicken for Windows version R45.21 on Windows 11 Home

I am currently unable (as of today 1/2/23) to connect to any of my FI that use either EWC (Discover) or EWC+ (BOA, Chase). My 2 accounts that use Direct Connect work fine, as long as I update them individually. They fail when doing an OSU because the accounts using EWC and EWC+ fail to complete and hang the entire process. The OSU process stays on "Updating Accounts" for EWC and EWC+ accounts until I am forced to use Task Manager to close down Quicken.

I have experienced updating slowness in recent weeks also, but up to now the process eventually completed. Today it doesn't. I've waited as long as 15 minutes.

Just posting this for informative reasons in case it's helpful to others.
  • rpgarrett75703
    rpgarrett75703 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2
    I am having the exact same issue with Chase & Discover.

Only a problem with EWC and EWC+. Direct connect works fine. It takes a while before I get the OSU Summary.
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
     New announcement today about Online Slowness which is causing some of the errors:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7925832/ongoing-1-2-23-quicken-performance-issue#latest
  • Kerry
    Kerry Member ✭✭✭
    As of 01/02/2023 18:30 EST, I continue to get a message that "Quicken online service is unavailable at this time. Please wait at least 10 minutes, then try again." FIrst attempt was at 08:00 EST. Is the server actually still down or is there a problem validating my account? Also had a message when I first opened the app that my subscription had expired, which it has not.