Entry to date field

JayW
JayW Member ✭✭
edited November 2022 in Display/UI (Mac)
Please change the UI to allow the tab key to move from month to day to year. Currently when in the date field the tab key jumps from the month to the payee field. In most UIs, the tab key moves to the next entry field - which in this case should be from the month to the day then the year, not the month to the payee. Request that you change this cursor movement in the program. Thanks.
3 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2022
    In the early incarnation of Quicken Mac, they had the Tab key move within the date as you're seeking. But many people (myself included) found that having to press Tab 3 times to jump to the next field was annoying. So they changed it so Tab moves between fields, as many people would expect.

That said, there are keyboard shortcuts for moving within the date field: you can move forward from month to day to year by pressing the / key, or by pressing Option-Tab.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    See https://help.quicken.com/display/MAC/Keyboard+Shortcuts for keyboard shortcuts available in Q Mac, including tips on how to enter dates.
    Personally, on my Quicken for Windows, I always type dates as either 4-digit mmdd or 6-digit mmddyy formats with leading zeros in month and days, e.g., 0601 for June 1st of this year or 060121 for June 1st, 2021. Only when you want to enter a date in a different century will you have to type the year with all 4 digits, e.g. 12311999
    While typing the digits, the cursor automatically advances from month to day to year. For me, no slashes required.

• jacobs
    UKR said:
    Personally, on my Quicken for Windows, I always type dates as either 4-digit mmdd or 6-digit mmddyy formats with leading zeros in month and days
    @UKR Quicken Mac doesn't work like that. (The behavior of the date field is mostly controlled by macOS, to allow different field order and formats.) You have to type a / or Option-Tab to advance within the date field.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:
    UKR said:
    Personally, on my Quicken for Windows, I always type dates as either 4-digit mmdd or 6-digit mmddyy formats with leading zeros in month and days
    @UKR Quicken Mac doesn't work like that. (The behavior of the date field is mostly controlled by macOS, to allow different field order and formats.) You have to type a / or Option-Tab to advance within the date field.
    Just out of curiosity, say you are at the beginning of the date entry and type 1114, what happens on MacOS?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2022
    Chris_QPW said:
    Just out of curiosity, say you are at the beginning of the date entry and type 1114, what happens on MacOS?

You get 11 in the month & then it beeps at you twice for the remaining two keystrokes which are otherwise ignored.

I mostly don't bother typing dates in Quicken, generally the default date is within a few days of the desired date so I just use +/- to tweak it into shape. If I do enter a specific date I'll use the / key. I like that the tab key moves you out of the date field entirely (or at least I'm used to it & wouldn't want it changed).
    Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Jon.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    Chris_QPW said:
    Well, if I create a new transaction, it defaults to 11/14, since that's today's date. ;) If I want a different date, like 06/05, and I type "0605", Quicken Mac will show a date of 6 and still be highlighting the month; it ignores the "05". If I type "06", pause briefly, and then type "05, the month will be 5 and remain highlighted. 

As I wrote, you need to press a key to move between month, day and year.

Oh, also, you can press the right arrow key to move from month to day. That is, right arrow, "/", and Option-Tab are three different keystrokes which all move to the next part of the date. 

In my experience, once you're used to it, it's pretty straightforward and doesn't feel like an inconvenience. And I like that a simple Tab moves me over the date field to the next field (usually Payee, unless you've rearranged the order of your fields).

Also, there are a lot of other keyboard shortcuts for dates. I typically use + and – to move dates up and down; if a date is within a week, I'll usually just rapid press one of those keys to get to the date I want, rather than typing the date. And I often use the 't' shortcut to jump the date to today. I don't usually remember the other shortcuts instantly, so I typically type the date if I need to be in another month or year.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, that sounds so like "Quicken Mac needs an enhancement to make Date Entry easier (more like Q Windows)".
    Don't you think so?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    Oh, that sounds so like "Quicken Mac needs an enhancement to make Date Entry easier (more like Q Windows)".
    Don't you think so?
    I just noticed that somebody did change this discussion into an Idea.
    Ideas are brought to the attention of the programmers for consideration.

Everyone, including the person who initiated this discussion …
    If you would like to see this change made in a hopefully not too distant future version of Quicken please don't forget to vote on it. Locate the big yellow box near the top of this webpage (or page 1 for long discussions) and click the "Up" triangle under the voting count.

Wait a moment for the vote count to be registered and updated before you continue.
    The little triangle changes from black to grey when you have registered your vote.
    Adding extra comments helps, but does not automatically increment the vote count.

Every vote counts!

For additional information about idea posts please read  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849425/creating-and-voting-for-ideas-in-the-community#latest

• jacobs
    edited November 2022
    UKR said:
    Don't you think so?
    Honestly, no. ;) I don't find date entry in Quicken Mac confusing or time-consuming. 

I wouldn't object if they made entry of a separator optional, such that typing "0605 Tab" resulted in a date of 6/5/22 and the cursor in the Payee field.

But I would object if they made Tab a required separator, such that we had to type "06 Tab 05 Tab Tab" to do the same thing. 

And that's because if I want to keep the defaulted date and jump to the Payee field, I now have to press only Tab to land in the Payee field. But if the Tab key is appropriated to move between month and day and year, it becomes necessary to press "Tab Tab Tab" to retain the default date and get to the Payee field. They had it that way back at the very beginning of modern Quicken Mac in 2014 (can't remember if it was just during pre-release beta, or the first release or two), and I do remember that I and others requested the developers change it.

My recollection of the explanation from the Quicken Mac product manager is that because Quicken Mac uses the date framework provided by macOS, it wasn't feasible to allow entry of dates without separators, because that's not how macOS is designed — and the developers didn't want to devote a ton of time to writing their own date-handling code. 

So if I could, I would down-vote this as a feature request; I don't want to have to Tab three times to reach the Payee field.
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    jacobs said:

So if I could, I would down-vote this as a feature request; I don't want to have to Tab three times to reach the Payee field.
    Same here.
    Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.