Idea requests regarding tagging process

fciani
fciani Member ✭✭
I have a split transaction where I transfer funds to a brokerage account and use a Tag. When I pull a report OR edit with the 'Cash Transferred In' view, the 'Description' field is auto-populated with the Payee name. I don't believe this should be the default value. In the report view, the 'Tag' field is also auto-populated with the Payee name even though the 'transfer account' field show the correct Tag. While the Tag field can be edited, it doesn't change the report view.

From my experience and the experience of others, the tagging process is in need of a total overall.

I understand that there is no hierarchy with the tags. However, I do like that report headers will show Tag1Level1/Tag2Level2; Tag1Level1/Tag3Level2. An enhancement I would like to see is the option to consolidate the report into a single Tag1header. Thus, I can view the report at the high Tag1 level or view the details at the second tagging level.

I would also advocate for the use of tags in investment transactions. I have brokerage accounts at both the personal and business use level. I also implement different investment strategies and it would be great to view a report by investment strategy (i.e. Tag) so I can clearly see what investments are working versus those that are not.
0 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• bkinva
    bkinva Member ✭✭
    @fciani said:
    > I would also advocate for the use of tags in investment transactions. I have brokerage accounts at
    > both the personal and business use level. I also implement different investment strategies and it
    > would be great to view a report by investment strategy (i.e. Tag) so I can clearly see what investments
    > are working versus those that are not.

I'd agree that this would be a nice enhancement to include. For my own purposes (and if it's of any help to you), I've customized the list within 'Investing Goal' as a workaround, albeit limited compared with what Tags would enable.
  • Hello @fciani and @bkinva

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to the Community with your request.

I went ahead and changed this post to an Idea so other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea by clicking the up arrow (see below).

Ideas are also reviewed by our Development and Product teams in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers.

Please, be sure to add your own vote as well.

-Quicken Jasmine
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    fciani said:
    I would also advocate for the use of tags in investment transactions.
    This exists already, but it's neither obvious nor easy.
    You can specify category_name/tag_name in the Category field of an investment transaction dialog, if the dialog has a Category field. Unless you immediately OK the dialog, the tag will disappear from view in the dialog. But it should appear in the actual transaction in the investment register. Or you can type the /tag_name directly after the category in the transaction line of the register.
    Long ago I made a suggestion that any transaction dialog which had a Category field should also provide a Tag field. Seems logical and consistent, but has not been implemented. That suggestion must have been lost in a transition from one forum to another.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    I found this image I created in an old archived post. I hope you can see it. It suggests editing an investment transaction which normally lacks a Category field to be a MiscInc or MiscExp. Once that happens, the Category field is enabled and can accept a Tag.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.