Find Function Not Working?

The Find, as well as the new Find and Replace function, don't seem to be working. I generated a lot of test searches that turned up nothing, despite the fact that the amounts I was searching for did exist in a selection of accounts.

Also, the Find and Replace window takes about 30 seconds to appear, and despite having "any field" checked as default, the default is set at Payee. So now a quick find that formerly took seconds takes about 35. Am I doing something wrong?

Best Answer

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓
    I had to back revert to version r44.20 to get global find to work again.  R45.13's global find was locating only 2 out of 149 qualifying transactions.
    Deluxe R44.20, Windows 10 Pro

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Jerry_qtz

what version of Windows are you on?
    the speed of my search (and my file is 20 years old) is quite quick
    I did note that if I used "any field" as the 2nd find criteria, it really didn't work, I had to change a search for a number to an amount search for it to correctly find my transactions in my test 
    have you tried to validate and repair the file?
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    I open "Find and Replace" and it fills the screen to overflow.  Can't close it as the close icon in the top right of the screen is not seen since the screen overfilled the computer display. Can't read any buttons on the bottom right of the screen since the display screen is overfilled by the "Find and Replace" window. See attached screenshot...

Does the same on 2 different computers.... Win11 R45.7

THIS SEEMS TO BE A BUG AS I USE THE LARGE FONTS SETTING (OLD EYES).  UNCHECKING LARGE FONTS IN THE VIEW TAB FIXES IT.  Old eyes need large fonts...  this is the only function screen that does this ... please fix...
     Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier 20+ year user
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's your screen resolution setting?
    To be able to use View / Large Fonts successfully, you must use a screen resolution of 1280*1024 or higher.
    The Find/Replace window can be resized and moved around the screen.
    With the mouse pointer grab the top blue bar of the window, drag it down a little and left in the same motion until the right window edge becomes visible. Release the mouse.
    Now move to the right edge of the window. When the mouse pointer turns to <==> click and drag left to make the window smaller.
    Repeat movements of the entire window and drag left, right, top and bottom to make it smaller until it fits your screen. When you exit Quicken, it should remember this setting for the next time ... I hope.
    BTW, pressing Alt-F4 (Alt key and the "F4" function key) closes the window.
  • retird said:
    I open "Find and Replace" and it fills the screen to overflow.  Can't close it as the close icon in the top right of the screen is not seen since the screen overfilled the computer display. Can't read any buttons on the bottom right of the screen since the display screen is overfilled by the "Find and Replace" window. See attached screenshot...

THIS SEEMS TO BE A BUG AS I USE THE LARGE FONTS SETTING (OLD EYES).  UNCHECKING LARGE FONTS IN THE VIEW TAB FIXES IT.  Old eyes need large fonts...  this is the only function screen that does this ... please fix...
    Hello @retird,         

I do apologize about this difficulty with screen overfills when trying to make use of certain menu options. Thank you for pointing this out to us here on the Quicken Community.

I wasn't able to reproduce this issue with the screen being completely overfilled, as the screenshot indicates. Have you tried updating your software to the latest version via the Mondo patch provided in this article? 

I want to know more about how this works for you, if you have the chance to check back in with us about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @quicken Jared - here is the problem - and I can replicate it.

if Windows, if the taskbar is visible on the bottom of the screen, it hides part of the 'find/ replace screen, but if you go to Windows settings and click the 'automatically hide' button for the taskbar, and then RELAUNCH Quicken, the problem goes away.  it's an anoying way for the Q software to be programmed. 

(In windows: settings>personalization> taskbar behaviors>automatically  hide the task bar.  

it is still too big for the screen, but at least at that point, it can be grabbed and moved around

PLEASE FIX 
  • Jerry_qtz
    Jerry_qtz Member ✭✭
    Mark,

Thanks for the response!

I'm on Windows 10 Pro version 22H2 OS Build 19045.2251

In this latest "upgrade," the Find function, whether in the original upper right box or the new Find/Replace mode, only works for banking and asset accounts. Neither find mode works for investment accounts. If I do a search for an entry in a banking or asset account, the search results are found very quickly. If I do a search for an entry in an investment account (even if I have that account open), Quicken will return "no matching transactions were found." This didn't happen before the last upgrade: I have always used this frequently.

I set my stopwatch and found that the Find/Replace window takes 11 seconds to open. Maybe understandable if this was 1998.

The default field in Find/Replace is generally Payee, no matter what I select with the check box to the right. Sometimes though Quicken will remember my default to "any," but even then it will soon be forgotten.

Validating found only a few minor issues, but that didn't fix the problem. I didn't see any repair options, only repair the log. I don't know if that's the same thing so I didn't do it.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    deleted.. more info to follow...
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    What's your screen resolution setting?
    To be able to use View / Large Fonts successfully, you must use a screen resolution of 1280*1024 or higher.
    The Find/Replace window can be resized and moved around the screen.
    With the mouse pointer grab the top blue bar of the window, drag it down a little and left in the same motion until the right window edge becomes visible. Release the mouse.
    Now move to the right edge of the window. When the mouse pointer turns to <==> click and drag left to make the window smaller.
    Repeat movements of the entire window and drag left, right, top and bottom to make it smaller until it fits your screen. When you exit Quicken, it should remember this setting for the next time ... I hope.
    BTW, pressing Alt-F4 (Alt key and the "F4" function key) closes the window.
    Resolution is 1929 x 1080

With Find/Replace open there is no top blue bar to drag down.

Cannot resize the left and right edges even though the <==> does show....

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    retird said:

Hello @retird,         

I do apologize about this difficulty with screen overfills when trying to make use of certain menu options. Thank you for pointing this out to us here on the Quicken Community.

I wasn't able to reproduce this issue with the screen being completely overfilled, as the screenshot indicates. Have you tried updating your software to the latest version via the Mondo patch provided in this article? 

I want to know more about how this works for you, if you have the chance to check back in with us about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
    THX for responding.  I hesitate updating to R45.11 as it doesn't say it addresses my issue. The Find/Replace screen is the only screen causing issues when using Large Font Setting. I've used Large Fonts for many, many years without issue until Find/Replace came about as a recent update to Quicken.  
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Mark1104 said:
    @quicken Jared - here is the problem - and I can replicate it.

if Windows, if the taskbar is visible on the bottom of the screen, it hides part of the 'find/ replace screen, but if you go to Windows settings and click the 'automatically hide' button for the taskbar, and then RELAUNCH Quicken, the problem goes away.  it's an anoying way for the Q software to be programmed. 

(In windows: settings>personalization> taskbar behaviors>automatically  hide the task bar.  

it is still too big for the screen, but at least at that point, it can be grabbed and moved around

PLEASE FIX 
    Auto hiding the tasbar does not help at all. The overfilled screen just gets bigger and doesn't expose the top or bottom to where I can change the screen size... THX for the suggestion anyway...

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Here is a more detailed screenshot that shows the overfilling of my Quicken Screens.  You can see my normal screen size in the background and the oversized Find/Replace Screen in the foreground. It can not be adjusted left, right, up or down as any screen can be adjusted. Note the taskbar is hidden... but I can use the lower corner to at least close the window when the taskbar is hidden

It almost as if the Find/Replace window is frozen or locked at that size...

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a screen shot with Taskbar NOT HIDDEN.  Note my default size of the Quicken window in the background as opposed to the overfilled Find/Replace Window in the foreground. Find/Replace window will not adjust...

Hope this helps....
  • Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

This issue is a bug that has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution.

Though we do not currently have an ETA, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.

Thank you!

(CTP-5046)
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    There appear to be 3 issues

1) the screen size noted in this thread
    2) clarification that investment accounts are to be part of the find / replace.  it appears the function only identifies banking and asset transactions that meet the criteria. 
    3) The help function in the software was never updated. It doesn't state ANYTHING about this new functionality. 
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    As a further note I did install the latest Quicken Update this morning (R45.11) on both computers and the issue is still there....  
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    R45.13 installed and the issue is still there.  
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓
    I had to back revert to version r44.20 to get global find to work again.  R45.13's global find was locating only 2 out of 149 qualifying transactions.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @leishirsute - can you explain the search you were trying that did not work? 

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Mark1104 In the global find field in the upper right of the quicken window, I searched for the string "conversion".  Only 2 transactions were located even though there are about 150+ transactions that qualify and display when I revert to R44.20 and perform the exact same search.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    just to clarify, I am asking about the screen that is titled 'find and replace'; the find box is in the upper middle of the screen (CNTL-SHIFT-H)

what type of account is the word 'conversion' in?  a banking account or an investment account? were the 2 in banking and all the missing ones in investment accounts> 

and now I again can't search on tranactions in investment accounts, ba humbug,,,,

• Jerry_qtz
    Jerry_qtz Member ✭✭
    I'm doing a search for a specific dollar amount. Whether I use "find" or "find and replace," this function only works for Banking accounts. It no longer works for any other kind of account.
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    @Mark1104 I am using the Search Transactions box in the upper right part of the Quicken windows.  The word "conversion" is mostly located in Investment accounts.  The 2 out of 150+ that were located were in banking accounts.  I'm staying off of R45 until this is resolved as I use search frequently.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    The "bug" I posted here is still there after installing the latest update.  Since my original discusion here I have identified many other "oversized windows" that only occur when using the "Large Font" setting under the View Tab.  Not going to list all the oversized windows but the "software guru's" at Quicken need to fix the bugs that are only occuring in "Large Font" mode.   I don't see where this bug is being tracked in this community nor any updates on progress given.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Yup. R45 broke Find and F/R along with other things. Best to roll back to R44.28 or your personal favorite R44 for now .
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    I see in R46.9 it says that this issue is fixed.  It says:..........
    • The Find & Replace screen displayed improperly when using Large Fonts.
    Has anybody updated to R46.9 verified this issue if truly fixed. I hesitate updating to R46.9 as there maybe new issues with R46.9.

I appreciate any responses to this post....THX
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @retird - yes, the find and replace function properly fits on the screen.  I do not see that investment transactions are part of the sea,ch though.. Most recent version is R46.12.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12
    Mark1104 said:
    @retird - yes, the find and replace function properly fits on the screen.  I do not see that investment transactions are part of the sea,ch though.. Most recent version is R46.12.
    THX.... I don't see R46.12 on the Mondo Web Site.   Went to Release Notes in Quicken and saw this:

Version R46.12 (HF1) (Jan, 2023)

What’s Fixed
    • Issue displaying paid bills and deposits received on the Bills & Income tab.
    • Issue with One Step Update that resulted in slowing, freezes, and crashes.