Problem with Downloading TIAA Account Information After New Build Issued by Quicken

last week, after Build 27.1.45.11 was issued I had a real problem with downloading data from TIAA. When I clicked on the "New Match" button I got a report that there was a mismatch between my data and TIAA's, for instance that TIAA was showing 0 shares of CREF Bond Market but I was showing 2,000 shares. When I accepted, all my TIAA accounts went to zero. When I called TIAA they said Quicken had advised them that this was a Quicken problem but I have not been able to find any solution on line.

Best Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Tom K,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and adding to this discussion, though we apologize for any trouble you are experiencing this.

This issue is a bug that has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.

In the meantime, some users have reported being able to resolve this issue by reverting back to the previous version release. You can download and install previous version releases through this support article.

Thank you!
    (CTP-4977)
    -Quicken Anja
  • PATar
    PATar Member
    Answer ✓
    For the purposes of tracking, I have the same issue. One day the downloads were fine, the next day the accounts zeroed out. As you can imagine, this caused some consternation. Please work to get this bug fixed.
    -Paul

Answers

• Hello @Speed23,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. 

First, I suggest creating a test file and adding the TIAA account(s) to see if it produces the same issue with the number of shares and balances. It is recommended to save a backup before proceeding with troubleshooting steps in the event that you would like to return to your original starting position. Below are instructions on how to create a test file:
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

1. Select New Quicken File.

1. Click OK.
    2. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to tell it apart from your main file. 

Don't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.

1. Sign in with your Quicken ID. If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID but already have one, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 

1. Select to not use Mobile.
    2. Click Add Account to start adding accounts to the new file.

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problems in this test file. 

Please let me know how this goes, I look forward to hearing your response. 
    -Quicken Jasmine
  • Speed23
    Speed23 Member
    The accounts were recognized by Quicken but the value for each of the accounts was $0
  • Hello @Speed23

Thank you for attempting the test file. 

Due to the same issue occurring in the test file and in the main file, you will need to reach out to TIAA for further support as this indicates an issue with the way they are sending information through the servers. It is recommended to request to speak to a tier 2 agent or a supervisor as they are generally more familiar with third-party applications such as Quicken. 

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!
    -Quicken Jasmine
  • Speed23
    Speed23 Member
    Funny, when this first started the first call I made was to TIAA and they said this issue had to do with the "tracking" method chosen in Quicken, i.e. "simple" vs. "complete." They also said they had been alerted to this by Quicken. Does this make sense to you? I in fact have used complete tracking for all my accounts, including TIAA, for years and no problem until now.
  • Tom K
    Tom K Member ✭✭
    edited November 23
    I have exactly the same problem. I am a Quicken Premier subscriber, R45.13, Win 11. I created a new data file as suggested above by Quicken Jasmine. I did not help.
    Both the old and new files show zero sharers reported by TIAA. But the correct number of shares were downloaded are in my Quicken data file. I just cannot do a comparison in Menu > Online > Holdings > Compare To Portfolio.
    This is really bad. My ten-plus years of Quicken TIAA data is useless. Can I revert to an older version?
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Tom K,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and adding to this discussion, though we apologize for any trouble you are experiencing this.

This issue is a bug that has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.

In the meantime, some users have reported being able to resolve this issue by reverting back to the previous version release. You can download and install previous version releases through this support article.

Thank you!
    (CTP-4977)
    -Quicken Anja
  • Speed23
    Speed23 Member
    edited November 26
    This is most distressing to have to wait for a new release. One day the system worked; the next it didn't. [Removed - Rant] Time is of the essence as in December TIAA distributes the Required Minimum Distributions that those us who are retired have to take for tax purposes and this will not be reflected in our Quicken accounts.
  • Tom K
    Tom K Member ✭✭
    Hi @Quicken Anja -- Thank you for the quick reply. It helps to know that this may be a temporary outage.

As Speed23 says above, December is busy time for investors: RMDs are being defined, tax losses harvested, final portfolio tax adjustments, e.t.c. It would be nice to have a working portfolio management tool, like Quicken.

I hope the Quicken team will fix this bug soon. Maybe the next time - we should test more? :)
    -Tom
  • PATar
    PATar Member
    Answer ✓
    For the purposes of tracking, I have the same issue. One day the downloads were fine, the next day the accounts zeroed out. As you can imagine, this caused some consternation. Please work to get this bug fixed.
    -Paul
  • Speed23
    Speed23 Member
    So I have a laptop that is running an older version of Quicken, Version R42.21, Build 27.1.42.21. I rarely use this laptop with Quicken and thus have not updated the software. I ran an update for my TIAA accounts and they updated perfectly vis a vis the number of shares and value. Is there a way to copy and transfer (or otherwise download) the older version and build of Quicken that works properly with TIAA? If I copy the file with the older software and restore it to my other Quicken-enabled computer, will the older software follow?
  • Speed23
    Speed23 Member
    I finally arrived at a solution with the help of a very patient and persistent Quicken tech person. As I noted above, an older version of Quicken I am running on another laptop was working fine with TIAA found the version of the software (Build 27.1.42.21) and emailed it to me, we couldn't get Quicken to load an older version of itself. So the solution the tech hit upon is that I downloaded the version of Quicken that's on the web, but exited the download process just as the software was doing an automatic update. This resulted in Version R44.28, Build 27.1.44.28 being loaded and this version works with TIAA.
  • glasspar
    glasspar Member
    I had the same problem. TIAA reported zero shares in my quicken accounts. The workaround that worked for me was to roll back to Release 44.28, Build 27.1.44.28. Both of the two November 2022 releases gave me the zero shares issue. I used the "support article" link above that took me to the earlier releases. Perhaps there needs to be a tightening up of regression testing prior to new releases. Understood that you can't test every possibility, but at least maintaining existing functionality should be a priority.
  • dortmeyer
    dortmeyer Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem as everyone else. It started with Quicken release 45.7 and is still present in 45.13. Downloads were working perfectly before 45.7. Are Quicken and TIAA talking to each other in an effort to deal with this problem?