Error and Crash: Failed to Create Dump File (error 183) when accessing Bills Section of Quicken

I am having issues with the latest Quicken update. I am able to update my accounts, but when I move to the Bills area (or try to, I should say), I receive a pop-up box with the error Failed to create dump file: " (error 183) This is exactly how the error is formatted (with the single quotation mark before (error 183). Nothing except for the update has changed on this machine, and I write to OneDrive, with no storage space issues. I've attached the actual error pop-up. When clicking OK, the application crashes.k

Answers

• I am having issues with the latest Quicken update. I am able to update my accounts, but when I move to the Bills area (or try to, I should say), I receive a pop-up box with the error Failed to create dump file: " (error 183) This is exactly how the error is formatted (with the single quotation mark before (error 183). Nothing except for the update has changed on this machine, and I write to OneDrive, with no storage space issues. I've attached the actual error pop-up. When clicking OK, the application crashes.k
    Hello @compucandi,   

I am sorry to hear about this issue with the 183 Error message. Thank you for looking to the Quicken Community for assistance.

Have you tried restarting your computer after this happens? You may additionally try uninstalling the Quicken software using the steps listed in this Support Article, then deleting Quicken from the Program Files (x86) folder. You may then reinstall the software after following those steps using the steps listed here.

I look forward to hearing back from you about how this works, if you have the chance. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your reference to "error 183" makes me believe that this is a Windows system error. Try googling this error and look for hits from Microsoft websites.
  • PSea1451
    PSea1451 Member
    When I click on Bills & Income, I get a message "Failed To Create Dump File:"" (error 183)"

I have gone back to older versions and have validated my file.

What else can I do to get things working again?
  • PSea1451
    PSea1451 Member
    I uninstalled Quicken, deleted it from Program Files (x86) and deleted whatever was in AppData.

And I still get the "Failed to Create a dump file: "" (error 183)".
  • PSea1451 said:
    I uninstalled Quicken, deleted it from Program Files (x86) and deleted whatever was in AppData.

And I still get the "Failed to Create a dump file: "" (error 183)".
    Hello @PSea1451,    

I am sorry to hear about this issue continuing, even after uninstalling and reinstalling the program. Thanks for communicating with us about your results.

Have you also tried looking into @UKR's earlier recommendation regarding possible Windows system errors? If so, let us know if you found anything that stands out.

I am eager to hear anything more you might be able to tell us about this, if you have the chance to check back in with us. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • PSea1451
    PSea1451 Member
    I believe Windows Error 183 is likely because Quicken is trying to create a dumpfile with the name "". It's a generic failure. The bigger question is why is Quicken Crashing and trying to create a dump file in the first place.
  • PSea1451
    PSea1451 Member
    Let me try to be even more specific about the repro case on this.

If I restore my Quicken file to the last good version, I can open Quicken and use Bills & Income without a problem.

Once I go into Bills and Income and select "Update All" then the product will crash and Bills & Income will crash moving forward.

I can reproduce this.

I believe this indicates that there is something in the Update for Online Bills this morning that is causing this issue. Bills and Income works fine on the older file which likely indicates it's not a configuration or Windows problem, it's a Quicken issue related to something in the biller update.
  • compucandi
    compucandi Member ✭✭
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled, rebooted my machine multiple times, and moved to an older version of my data file. All of these steps failed to resolve the issue. I'm with PSeal1451...this is a Quicken Bills & Income issue, maybe related to updates. My Bills & Income section shows that there is an update (the blue dot), but I of course cannot see what it might be. I've even tried changing to Classic Menus, which gives you the option of breaking out the Bills section into the various screens under Bills & Income, but that did not help...it even crashes on the Projected Balance screen when attempted. All of this worked fine before the last update, so it might be wise for Quicken to start there.
  • compucandi
    compucandi Member ✭✭
    Looking at the Windows Event Viewer for APPLICATION errors, I find this error every time this issue occurs:
    Faulting application name: qw.exe, version: 27.1.45.13, time stamp: 0x637db993
    Faulting module name: DLLAPPS_FRCAST.dll, version: 27.1.45.13, time stamp: 0x637dbc45
    Exception code: 0xc000041d
    Fault offset: 0x0000243a
    Faulting process id: 0x283c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d9024ee391bb2a
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\qw.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\DLLAPPS_FRCAST.dll
    Report Id: e5a04dfb-f024-49da-86c7-bafeae1b61dc
    Faulting package full name:
    EventData

qw.exe
    637db993
    DLLAPPS_FRCAST.dll
    637dbc45
    c000041d
    0000243a
    c8
    01d9031df4808b03
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\qw.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\DLLAPPS_FRCAST.dll
    ea9df6b7-9447-45af-947b-70766a8f3426

I can reproduce this error 100% of the time.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    About the missing or blank dump file name ...
    In my Windows 8.1 Control Panel / System / Advanced Settings  I have these settings regarding dump and recovery
    What settings do you have in your system? And ... are these settings applicable to the crash dump which Quicken is attempting to create? Or am I sending you on a wild goose chase here?
    I hope the Quicken programmers are aware of this issue ...
  • Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hi All, We are looking into this issue and we will update once we have more information. Thanks for your patience and for sharing your experience so far. 

-Quicken Janean
  • So, I'm getting this error now as well when trying to access my Bills and Income section as well. Has there been any recommendations for resolving this or are we just screwed right now?
  • KSalt
    KSalt Member
    I'm getting this error now when trying to run my account updates. This happened as soon as loaded the the last quicken update. Not cool :(
  • I have had the exact same experience. Everything was fine until the last update.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't done so already, please do the following actions:

Validate and Supervalidate instructions

First save a backup file prior to performing these steps

Validate: 

1. Click File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots". If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    5. Click OK
    6. Close the Data Log
    7. Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    8. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:

1. Click File
    2. Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Supervalidate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
  • khg
    khg Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    I get this error message today when working with the Planning module as well as the Bills & Income module. I haven't tried the long process that has been suggested. When it happened several times last week, I got the error report pop up and I used that tool to report the error. That didn't happen today; instead, I got the message box about failing to create the dump file. In all cases, the first indication there will be a problem is that every key entry is slow to register in Quicken. Next, there will be flashing of the screen, then it will freeze, then it will shut down.
  • tivolo
    tivolo Member ✭✭✭
    @khg
    It sounds like your symptoms may be a bit different as the error occurs in different modules and the UI starts misbehaving before the crash occurs. If you restart Quicken and immediately access the Planning module (before accessing registers, running OSU, ...), does Quicken still crash? Or does the crash only occur after Quicken's been running for a little while and you performed other tasks?
  • HJR
    HJR Member ✭✭✭
    Received the same error today while OSU was running.
  • Drumnman1
    Drumnman1 Member
    Have been having the same issue as above with the "failed to create dump file " (error 183)". Initially back in November, after the Quicken software push, I couldn't get into any of my accounts or tabs. The December (I think) patch at least allowed me to get into everything but my checking account and the Bills tab.

I spent 1 1/2 hours with the Quicken help desk, with no success. They were supposed to call me back today but didn't. Very poor software beta checking (or none??) on Quicken's part, since the issues are with top level access.

I completed the above validate and super validate files and still don't have any access to the bills tab or my checking account.

Very, very, very frustrating!!!!!
  • Drumnman1
    Drumnman1 Member
    Follow up on my previous post: The Quicken help desk set up a follow-up call, so we could continue the troubleshooting process. They did not call me back at the pre-arranged time (Or anytime for that matter). I called them back and the help desk tried to have me repeat all the steps I had spent 1 1/2 hours doing the previous day. So, their belief is that it's either Windows or anti-virus software related. Just for the record, Quicken is not the only program that I have on my computer. It's just the only program that isn't working after their last software push. Even more frustrated now.
  • JstLukng
    JstLukng Member ✭✭
    edited January 21
    After mondo patch & validate/super validate, OSU completed successfully.