All Shares Sold, but with unrealized gains

Adam Klein
Adam Klein Member ✭✭
edited December 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I've stolen the subject for this from another thread that's closed. I don't know if that was ever resolved.

I have a retirement account (401k) that has no holdings. I went back and made sure "sell all shares" was used on all entries. And yet: there are unrealized gains for a security in the account up through its sold date.

Actually, I've just changed the sub-report to "include all dates" and "include all securities" but only for this one account. It looks like the report just adds up all the _UnrlzdGain daily "entries" for all time, ignoring the fact that the securities have all been sold. The total comes to around -0.13, which is kinda sorta correct?

This is... wrong? I would have expected the account/symbol pairs that have been sold to zero shares should have _UnrlzdGain entries excluded from "include unrealized gains" (if the report end date results in those symbols having zero amounts).

(I guess I could make my unrealized gains calculation correct if I excluded the account from my report, or excluded only those the securities sold to zero, or changed my date range to "include all dates" - but if I had a security across multiple accounts over time and both accounts were still active, this method would not work for custom time ranges)

I've validated my file / investment lots, everything is in order.

Can someone confirm I'm not crazy?

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got pretty much the exact same problem, in the exact same amount, and I know exactly where it came from, though I can't tell you why.
    Back in February of this year I transferred all of my Schwab money market fund - comprising 32 lots - from one Schwab Accout to another Schwab Account, and $.13 cents of basis were lost in the process.  Looking at the 32 lots in the old Account, every lot had a basis exactly matching the number of shares, but over in the new Account many, but not all, of the lots had slightly different bases.  Some were "off" by as much as two cents, some were "off" by a small fraction of a penny, and that in sum created the $.13 difference.  The bases of the holdings decreased by $.13 and It's clear the transfer process created that difference, somehow.
    Beyond identifying what happened here I couldn't come up with an explanation of why it happened.  Maybe something similar occurred in your 401(k) Account?
    If and when I eventually sell every share of the money market fund I won't be surprised if I end up with a $.13 "profit" on a security for which there's not supposed to be any gain or loss.  In my monthly reconciliations of my net worth I keep having to add that $.13 back as a reconciling item and will have to continue to do that until the end of the year.
This discussion has been closed.