Found an imaginary entry in my quicken register.

Gerry1620
Gerry1620 Unconfirmed, Member
Hello everyone. I am running Release R Version 23.1.1.17. I have been having trouble reconciling my bank balance with my quicken balance. Yesterday I found that it was off by $901. Entering that number in the search box showed an atm entry from some years ago for $901. Please tell me what's happening. My computer is always on line, but the quicken program isn't connected to any institution.
Tagged:

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell us more about that$901 entry?  What CATEGORY does it use, or is it a TRANSFER?
    Also, you're MANY releases behind, so  what's your MEMBERSHIP VALID UNTIL date, found at HELP, A
    bout Quicken.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that entry in your bank account register?  Did it lose the R for reconciled on it?   
  • Gerry1620
    Thank you for responding. Today I was writing and printing three checks. I walked away from the desktop, when I came back there was a new entry in the register that I did not put there. My Quicken program came from a disk made in about 2014. (Presumably programs on disk never die) Has the program gone rogue? Has my desktop been hacked? Is Quicken trying to force me into buying a subscription?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Gerry1620,  you need to answer the questions that we've asked.  We're trying to understand your situation and your not making things any easier.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Gerry1620
    Hello, thank you for helping. The $901 entry mysteriously appeared a few days as an atm entry from several years ago in my bank account register. I found it because the account, when reconciled, was $901 off so I put 901 in the search box and that is what popped up.
    My method is partly archaic first three checks are written, printed and who and how much are entered in a paper check register. Then I call up the bank and get the balance and list of checks cleared. I then mark off the ones cleared and subtract the ones not cleared to get my real balance. I don't R Reconcile So, there at least two entries have appeared that no one in my home put there.
This discussion has been closed.