Quicken synching errors (Q Mac)

Here's my issue. I use Quicken to manage several accounts. This includes bank and associated credit card accounts from two major institutions and a credit union as well as investment accounts from three major institutions. All of these accounts work with Quicken and most have moved to the most recent standards that Quicken is using. All together I have 21 accounts with the 5 institutions.

Most mornings when I use quicken to update the accounts, a few update correctly and one or two do not. From these, I get download error 400. Typically, one of these errors pop a dialog window which stops the download process for the other accounts. The synching errors also show up in the “Connectivity Status” window. Immediately clicking the “Retry” buttons for the accounts with synching errors typically causes those accounts to synch.

So I have 21 accounts in 5 institutes. I get error 400 (which is an HTTP “Bad Request” response) from two institutes. Immediately asking to resynch accounts from these accounts resolves the error. I’ve had the problem for 3 or more years. When I contact Quicken, the representatives have me reset a few things and then blame the institutions for the problem. I’m sick and tired of this.

Logically, the representative’s blaming the institutions makes no sense. For this to happen, both institutions would need to be having problems responding to requests at exactly the same time I try to synch the accounts and then immediately fix their servers exactly by the time that I request to resynch the accounts individually. This pattern of the servers going down and coming back would have to repeat itself almost every morning for multiple years. The exception being that every few months or so a the problem would come from a different institution.

It also does not make sense technically. The HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTP) 400 Bad Request response status code which Quick is getting indicates that the server cannot or will not process the request due to something that is perceived to be a client error (for example, malformed request syntax, invalid request message framing, or deceptive request routing). Now servers could and do send that error when they are having problems. However, the main reason they send that error is that the request was made incorrectly. For example, because the Quicken program has a memory or formatting bug associated with having spawned multiple forks to process the accounts simultaneously.

My question to the community is whether you are also experiencing this frustration. My question to quicken is whether after bugs synching accounts for over 3 years whether they are willing to look into the problem. As an alternative stop-gap, perhaps the developers could get rid of the dialog box that stops the synching process.

Comments

• lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

My question to the community is whether you are also experiencing this frustration. 
    Yes, I too have experienced a level of frustration with this behavior. Here is the text of my problem as found in the Connectivity Status window:
    Download Error (400)
    HTTP-400 Error from Morgan Stanley Wealth Management
    I also get a pop-up dialog as soon as the error is detected, blocking the rest of the download process. I have to acknowledge the dialog in order to resume the download process. (AND I think if I don't acknowledge the dialog promptly, then some of the rest of the accounts will fail to download - but I have not experienced that recently so cannot say for sure.)

Other particulars:
    - The failure is with a Direct Connect connection, with two accounts under one sign-in.
    - I have a total of 10 connections, 5 of which are Direct Connect. There are 21 accounts.
    - No other connection experiences this problem.
    - This failure occurs once or twice a week.
    - I have reported the problem via Help > Report a Problem ... several times, but never called Quicken Customer Support.

It appears I first saw this particular error behavior on Oct 23rd, 2020.

Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • I just purchased the Quicken and uploaded all of the accounts and get the same 400 error button. Help.
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just purchased the Quicken and uploaded all of the accounts and get the same 400 error button. Help.
    Which version of Quicken for Mac are you running?  

Quicken's error handling has changed with the latest release, v6.11, so be sure you have that installed.

Then post some screenshots if you need more help. (you can simply drag a screenshot file into the message window and it the screenshot will appear wherever the curser is located).

What financial institution are these HTTP-400 errors associated with?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
This discussion has been closed.