Adding KeyBank Account

Shoo
Shoo Member
I am having issues getting my Keybank account setup. First when I try to do the connections it asks for my SSN and pin not my normal online banking credentials. There is a link that says you have to apply to be able to do this. The link take you to a generic page and the best link I can think of on that page is to enroll in online banking. I already have an online banking account. Also if I try using my SSN and the only PIN I have which is my ATM pin, the next screen says it requires the pin to be reset on first use so I am thinking this is not the pin needed.

I have also reached out to Keybank support and they said the only thing I have to do is enable 3rd party access which I have. The person I spoke with didn't seem to know about an online banking pin.

Is there a way to add this account with normal online banking credentials or has anyone else had success get their account setup for Keybank?

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Shoo,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

I also have a KeyBank account setup. The prompts you are receiving are only necessary if you wish to set up your KeyBank accounts using Direct Connect which requires enrollment on the bank's side and charges a monthly fee as it also offers a bill pay service. However, the alternate and free option if you solely wish to download transactions automatically is to set up the accounts using Express Web Connect instead.

To set up Express Web Connect for KeyBank, navigate to Tools > Add Account..., type in Key in the search field. Once Key shows up in search results, it should automatically be highlighted in blue on the left. On the right-side of the screen, please click Advanced Options as shown in the screenshot below.

In the next screen, select Express Web Connect (first option), then click Next. The following screen should prompt you to enter your User ID and Password. These credentials are the same credentials you use to sign in on their Online Banking website.

I hope this helps!
    -Quicken Anja
  • Shoo
    Shoo Member
    Thanks for the additional information. When I go to add a new account, I see a different window then. your example. I am using Quicken Deluxe Version 6.10.3 (Build 610.46328.100), macOS 13.0.1 so when I type in key, it give me an option for Keybank but if I click on it, it goes directly to the screen to enter my SSN and pin. There is no Advanced option.

I did have a call with Keybank Quicken support and they told me that the don't do direct connect any longer and that I would need to use Express Web which is inline with what you are saying above. Now if I could just get to the screen you are showing maybe I would be able to resolve this.

Is Express Web Connect another license or is it part of my subscription of Quicken Deluxe. (I started my subscription on Windows and recently converted to a Mac)
  • Quicken Anja
    edited December 2022
    Thank you for your response and for providing additional info. I apologize as my previous instructions are meant for Quicken for Windows, so please disregard them. I went ahead and moved this thread to the Mac section as well.

Since it's on Mac, after selecting the financial institution it's supposed to first open a window asking you how you wish to connect. However, it appears to skip this screen with Key. I was able to test this on Mac and experience the same as what you are describing so I will be passing this along internally to have it looked into and hopefully fixed.

In the meantime, because this screen is getting skipped, we will need to do a workaround instead to add the accounts and set up Quicken Connect (Quicken Connect is the Mac term for Express Web Connect).

First, you will need to set up the account(s) manually. To do so, please navigate to Accounts > Add Account..., and instead of searching for Key, you will click Offline Account at the bottom. On the next screen, type in what you wish the name of the account, and select the correct account type. You can leave the "Balance Equals" box blank and no need to change "on this date" as this will get added after we connect the account. Click Finish and an empty register should open. 

In the empty register on the bottom right, please click Settings. In the Account Settings windows, click on the Downloads tab and then click Connect Account.... In the next window that opens, type in Key in the search field and once it finds it in the list below, click on Key so it highlights in blue. Then on the bottom-right, click on the white Options button. In the following screen, you should now see the option to select Quicken Connect and click Continue. Now you should be prompted to enter User ID and Password (same credentials used for Key's Online Banking website).

Once sign in has been completed and you receive the "# Accounts Found" window, it should pull up all of your accounts with Key. Link the appropriate account for the one you set up manually using the dropdown menu in the Action column. Any other accounts you can set to Add in the Actions column (though they will likely already be defaulted to this) and you can change the name that will show in Quicken for these accounts in the last column if you wish. When you're ready, click Continue. Wait for the download to finish processing before making any changes. Once it has finished downloading transactions, review each account and make any corrections if needed.

Let us know how this goes!
    -Quicken Anja
  • Shoo
    Shoo Member
    Sorry for the delay in my response. I finally tried what you suggested and that did add the account. I am having an issue with the balance not aligning with what I see on online banking. It may have to do with the fact that I left the starting balance a zero and when it picked up the transactions since 6/1 it automatically put me in a negative balance on day one. I think I will just need to make an adjustment to get it square and then I should be good moving forward.
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for following up! 

The balance discrepancy is probably due to not having added a balance. If you decide to correct this with a balance adjustment, then I recommend adding it as an "Opening balance". To do this, you would simply add a new transaction, date it for the day before the very first transaction in your register, add "Opening Balance" as the payee name, use the category "Balance Adjustment" or "Adjustment", and the difference of what the balance is off by in the Amount. This should fix the incorrect balance.

The alternate route would be to disconnect the account from online services, then go through the previous process in my prior response, except that you would add the account as new instead of linking it. Then after adding it, you would delete the account with the incorrect balance.

I also wanted to provide an update that I went ahead and reported the missing screen to choose your connection type when going through Add Account. A trouble ticket was created with our Product and Development teams. It would be helpful if you could submit your log files in order to contribute to the investigation. If you wish to do so, please navigate to Help > Report a problem, add "Attn: CTP-5187" to the title/subject line and submit your log files.

Thank you!
    (CTP-5187)
    -Quicken Anja
This discussion has been closed.