Why does Quicken close when I click on (try to open) a specific loan account?

All of my loan accounts are set to manual, because I don't want the hassle of syncing anything to websites that need constant password updates.

For the last couple months, my student loan account cannot be viewed in Quicken. The loan is visible. I can enter payments thru my checking account, and the loan balance goes down. But, if I click on that loan account, Quicken closes. There is no warning, no error. It just closes.

I turn my computer off every night. All updates are installed. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Quicken. Nothing has worked.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Samantha R

Can you please clarify the above?  When you say "The loan is visible" where is it visible?  Are you saying that it is listed/showing in the Account Bar?  And when you say "if I click on that loan account" where are you clicking - is it on the name of the account in the Account Bar?

Have you tried opening the account from the Account List?

Also which version and release of Quicken are you running?

Get back to us and we'll go from there.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• "Visible" means I can see it in the Account List along the left side of the screen. It also appears in the Property & Debt tab.

"If I click on that loan account" means I literally click on the account name. It doesn't matter where (Account List or the Property & Debt tab), Quicken closes.

I currently use the Quicken Deluxe desktop version for Windows (R45.13).
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Hi @Samantha R

Thanks for the additional information - it is helpful.  What you are seeing is odd behavior.  If this just recently started, I would first suggest that you restore a backup file dated before you first saw this happening.  If you aren't sure of the date, it would be better to use an older file (when you r absolutely sure it wasn't happening) than a more recent one.

If you find a backup that doesn't have this problem, then your datafile is the problem. You should then proceed with the "validate file and supervalidate file" routine described in this LINK.  Start with "Third, copy your file and Validate".

If, on the other hand you see the same behavior in those backups, then the problem is more likely in the Quicken program.  To fix that you'll need to uninstall/reinstall the delete the Quicken application.  First, you should follow this guidance Uninstall and then take these steps to Reinstall.  

However, after you have uninstalled and before you proceed with reinstalling, please open your Windows File Explorer and navigate to This PC > C: Drive > Program Files (x86) and delete the folder titled "Quicken" (doing so does not affect your data files). After you have deleted this folder, go ahead with the reinstall.

Let us how that goes.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• I don't have a back file to restore from. Can't I uninstall the Quicken update and revert back to a prior version?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Samantha R

Yes, you can try the second part of my message - i.e. revert to an earlier version - first, if you don't have a fairly recent backup.  But before you do anything - make a backup of your current datafile now and put it in a safe place.  Also - just in case - please do a thorough search of your computer to see if you have any backups on it. 

To move forward with Part Two of my message - just follow the instructions I wrote above - starting with the "If, on the other hand..."

I will caution you that I think the more likely problem is corruption of your datafile.  So if the reversion doesn't work you will either try an locate a backup copy of your datafile, or potentially start over.

Let me know how that goes and/or if you have any followups.

Frankx

• First, I checked the backups (which in and of itself, it is a tedious nightmare of error messages and warnings). I would have to go back to August to find a data file that is not corrupt. AUGUST! That is over four months of data lost. All of my accounts are manual (nothing is sync'd to websites except the Quicken Cloud). Even if my accounts were sync'd to financial websites, I would still have to go thru and manually correct every single entry (none of the financial websites properly categorize any of my transactions). I would be fixing hundreds of transactions because one (just one) account is apparently corrupt.

Second, I already attempted the second part of Frankx's proposed fix. TWICE! It does not work.

Third, what is the purpose of the Quicken Cloud? Seriously, the Quicken program makes a huge deal out of keeping the desktop and Cloud sync'd. HOWEVER, the Cloud has no obvious value. You can't download data from the Cloud, and if I restored a prior version on my desktop, the restored version overwrites the Cloud by default. All the Cloud seems to do is update the Online version of Quicken. But that is not useful. The online version of Quicken has very, very limited functionality. You have to fight every step of the way just to change a transaction date (any other changes are even more tedious). Most account types are still not supported (including loans).

Again, Frankx's suggestions were not helpful, so I found my own solution. I created a new loan, then transferred the remaining balance of the corrupt loan to the new loan. Of course, the Quicken program has no idea how to handle the new account. It made some weird "balance adjustments" to make the balance come out right. The payment schedule is all messed up. But at least I can view the loan account, see the transactions, and update the account details. It's "ugly," but it works.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Hi @Samantha R

Apparently twice, you said "Again, Frankx's suggestions were not helpful".

You may, or may not, know that the majority of posters here are NOT employees of, or related in any way with, Quicken, Inc.  We are only fellow Quicken users, we are just folks that want to help other Quicken users with questions, problems, and other things having to do with Quicken.  We don't get paid - we spend our free time trying to help others.  We sometimes get abused, by "unknowing" posters - like you, when all we are trying to do is help people.

You elected to not make periodic backups of your datafile.  You said "I would have to go back to August to find a data file that is not corrupt. AUGUST! That is over four months of data lost."  Wow, what a tragedy! Maybe, as my parents used to say, you'll remember that in the future. 

Sorry for your "tedious nightmare of error messages and warnings" which I suspect is a bit melodramatic when describing a software interaction - but I wasn't responsible for that, either.  But I can assure you that I won't be providing any more "suggestions" to you, so maybe you won't have any more nightmares.

Frankx

• Frankx: As you noted, you are not a Quicken IT expert. That means anything and everything you post is, by default, a suggestion. You don't know if it will work. You can only suggest a solution, only suggest something to try.

Unfortunately, your suggestions from Nov and Dec did not solve my problem. Yes, I posted the same problem twice. When your suggestion in Nov failed, I thought I would try again, hoping a new suggested solution. No such luck. Now, I tried, in good faith in Nov and Dec, to follow your instructions. For whatever reason, it doesn't work. I don't know why. Clearly, you don't know why either. I'm sorry if it bruises your ego, but in this particular situation, you don't have an answer. I am also sorry that you took my comment so personal. It was never directed at you. I only referenced your name so others would know that what you had suggested had not worked so I would not continue to receive the same suggestion over and over from other users.

To the Rest of the Community: My computer has more than just Quicken installed. I have multiple web browsers, multiple programs for work, all the programs that come standard with Microsoft Windows, and all of the security and firewalls that come built-in to so many programs these days. All of these programs have their own updates. One program's update can corrupt another program's code. Any of these programs can cause a conflict with Quicken, or corrupt a Quicken datafile.

I know my desktop datafile was working properly in mid-October. However, when I went thru the backup datafiles, I had to go back to early August before I found a backup file that worked properly. That means some time between mid-October and early November, something happened that not only corrupted the active datafile, but also the backup files.

I don't know how it happened, or what could of caused it. I only know it happened. Maybe a piece of code in that specific part of the data file got "repaired" or deleted by a security update. Maybe an update for Quicken (or any other program) inadvertently rewrote the code. I have corrected datafiles in the past, but that was over twenty years ago, so I am at a lost on how to repair this file.
This discussion has been closed.