Quicken changing mutual fund treatment to "cash"

lagunajim
lagunajim Windows Beta Beta
I've been having a bad time when downloading transactions from Charles Schwab.  Quicken seems determined to treat a particular mutual fund - SWVXX - as "cash".  It is not cash.  There is a cash balance and there is ownership of this mutual fund -- the two are different!

Quicken offers to change the treatment in the account details, but the change has no effect on the result.  Only solution so far has been to deactivate the account's connection to the bank and set it up again.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a new user preference which might help in this situation. I haven't tried it, so can't vouch for it. Also, it's located in a strange place, not along with the other investment preferences.
    Edit > Preferences > Downloaded transactions > Never interpret downloaded Money Market funds as cash
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.
  • lagunajim
    edited December 2022
    Bless you my dear Rocket - hoping this toggle works as expected!!

Have not found the settings to toggle it off in account details to work as described.
  • lagunajim
    Despite turning off this behavior in preferences it did it again today - swvxx was converted from just another security in the account to part of the cash balance.

Aaarrgh!!!!!
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    lagunajim said:
    Despite turning off this behavior in preferences it did it again today
    You have to turn on that "Never interpret..." preference.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.
  • lagunajim
    Yes sir, I did that.  The kiss of death is when you perform an OSU and you are then prompted to verify the cash balance in the account.  It is correct so I say Ok.  And then the security SWVXX is removed from the Holdings yet the value of it is NOT even added to the cash balance -- those dollars just disappear.

• lagunajim
    I'm at a loss:  Quicken ignores the user preference for treating SWVXX as a security instead of cash, and it ignores the options offered to change the treatment and also to "never interpret..."

The fact that Quicken refuses to convert it back when you exercise that option is clearly a bug that needs to be squashed.  Please help Quicken!
This discussion has been closed.