Quicken is slow on transaction entry

This discussion was created from comments split from: transaction entry slow.

Comments

• matthahn
    matthahn Member ✭✭
    I'm going to re-open this thread as it continues to frustrate me. Quicken is terribly slow on transaction entry. I have used quicken since the late 90's, so, I have quite a bit of data. However, looking at other threads on this topic I don't think I have a huge amount of transactions. My file size is 176,117KB. The account with the most transactions has slightly over 10,000 transactions. I really don't feel these are "hugh" numbers. Last year, I got a little relief by doing an archive of the accounts with the largest transactions... but it still takes 10-15 seconds to save a new transactions, the screen flash, flickers, even the fonts change while it's doing whatever its doing. Can anyone help me with this... I feel like I could just create a spreadsheet and track my investments and it would be quicker!
  • matthahn said:
    I'm going to re-open this thread as it continues to frustrate me. Quicken is terribly slow on transaction entry. I have used quicken since the late 90's, so, I have quite a bit of data. However, looking at other threads on this topic I don't think I have a huge amount of transactions. My file size is 176,117KB. The account with the most transactions has slightly over 10,000 transactions. I really don't feel these are "hugh" numbers. Last year, I got a little relief by doing an archive of the accounts with the largest transactions... but it still takes 10-15 seconds to save a new transactions, the screen flash, flickers, even the fonts change while it's doing whatever its doing. Can anyone help me with this... I feel like I could just create a spreadsheet and track my investments and it would be quicker!
    Hello @matthahn,   

I am sorry about this problem with slowing and freezing when trying to enter transactions. Thank you for seeking more information about this here on the Quicken Community.

Have you tried restarting your computer after this happens? You may additionally try uninstalling the Quicken software using the steps listed in this Support Article, then deleting Quicken from the Program Files (x86) folder. You may then reinstall the software after following those steps using the steps listed here

I look forward to your reply. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you originally discussed this, you mentioned slowness in an active investment account.

You may want to consider this:

Archive Investment Transactions

For about a year now, a new function has been available in Quicken, Archive Transactions. It will split your investment account register into two parts, leaving only those securities' transactions where you currently hold >0 shares in the active register. The rest is moved to a new Archive register within the current data file.

Having less transactions in your active register might improve performance.

Please read and carefully follow instructions here: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-archive-investment-transactions
    Eventually, after a couple of years, you might consider splitting your data file in two, with all the archived investment transactions moving to an archive data file and none remaining in the active data file.

• Marcus G
    Marcus G Member
    I too am experiencing the same issues. Sometimes it feels like I am on an old dial up connection. Quicken is SO SLOW. I type my transaction and then wait for each and every single character to process and display on the screen. PAINFUL!!!!!!
  • ErikO
    ErikO Member
    Sounds like you are having the same problems that many of us are. It is a user objects issue that Quicken needs to fix. Other programs don't continually increase the number of objects as Quicken currently does. Here's the thread. Let's encourage the developers to fix this issue....

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7923154/slowdowns-and-not-enough-memory-to-proceed-errors/p1
  • Atlasmcb
    Atlasmcb Member
    I am also having the same issue… going on multiple years at this point. It take 5+ minutes just to enter a transaction or switch back to quick (basically anytime I touch quicken)…. It’s rendering the platform nearly un-usable. I’ve tried all of the various suggestions from the threads… Is this something the Quicken team is aware of and actively working? it would be good to know if there’s help on the horizon? I’ve used for close to 20 years and while I would prefer not to switch to something else, I’m getting to the point where I don’t see an alternative unless there some recognition and focus on this problem>
  • Ed Land
    Ed Land Member
    I am another frustrated decades-long Quicken user. I have tried implementing the various fixes suggested without any discernable positive result. I would like to believe there is a durable fix available or on the horizon, but without that, I fear my only answer may be to mothball my current data and start over with a clean sheet and all the subsequent setup work that would entail.