Uncategorized Transaction

On my money dashboard I am getting an error that I have an uncategorized transaction. When I click on it, it shows 0 transactions. How do I clear this error?

Comments

• hfriz said:
    On my money dashboard I am getting an error that I have an uncategorized transaction. When I click on it, it shows 0 transactions. How do I clear this error?
    Hello @hfriz,   

I am sorry about this problem with inappropriate and inaccurate error messages. Thank you for inquiring about this here on the Quicken Community.

First, when does this message appear, specifically? 

I look forward to hearing back from you about this. Is there any way you could provide screenshots of what you're seeing - with personal information redacted as necessary? You can follow the steps explained in this FAQ in order to do this. Also note that you may drag and drop your images into your comment in order to submit images, as well.

I look forward to hearing back from you about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Nancybv
    Nancybv Member
    I have been getting the same message when I open Quicken. Every day I have 1 uncategorized transaction. When I click on it I am shown a transaction for $0 with no payee and today's date. Very annoying.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Sounds like some kind of filtering problem.  What Quicken does is when you click on the "x Uncategorized Transaction button" it takes you to the Spending tab with filters set for what should be the same accounts and timeframe as you are using in the Home tab widget, and also filtered to on uncategorized transactions.

Make sure the filtering is set to "All Accounts", "All Dates", and Spending (try Income too).

For reference here is what the Home tab widget/uncategorized transaction button looks like:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • BlueFreak
    BlueFreak Member ✭✭
    edited December 2022
    I'm getting the same issue. Here are a few screenshots attached (I couldn't figure out how to paste them inline).

The zero dollar blacked out item on the uncategorized transactions report is from my paycheck; the only zero dollar line item is a pre-tax employee contribution transfer: I contribute to a Roth 401(k), but I need this field to open up the extra field to report my employer's matching contribution. This is how I've done it for over a decade now, so it's not a change I've made on my end; either this is a red herring or Quicken has changed something in the code...
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somehow there's a mismatch between the process which determines that "there are x uncategorized transactions" and the filtered Transactions view. As a result, no transactions are shown. The only thing you see in the Transactions view is, as has always existed here and in all other banking register views, the highlighted-in-blue New Transaction data entry line. This line allows you to manually enter a new transaction.
    And, no, you cannot get rid of the blue transaction entry line.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen this "filtering problem" in the past but can't remember what triggered it and I can't reproduce it now.  My suggestion would be to hit the Examine Your Spending button the Home tab and then on the Spending tab sort by category and see if anything comes up.  If not try playing with the filtering on the Spending tab (change the accounts, timeframe, and if it is spending or income, that kind of thing).
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • BlueFreak
    BlueFreak Member ✭✭
    It does appear to be related to my paycheck--on the dashboard view, there are three items listed under "Uncategorized Transactions" and they are all paycheck-related; when I open the split view, the only item without a category is the zero dollar employee contribution line. When I categorize it as a transfer to my 401k plan, it disappears from the uncategorized transactions list.

It looks like something changed in the last month or two in Quicken, where when my paycheck gets entered via the memorized transaction, it drops the category for this zero dollar line. I checked the memorized transaction entry, and it does show a category, so it seems to be happening when the memorized transaction gets posted (as an aside, I haven't changed the memorized transaction since about April so it probably wasn't something I did). I also checked some older paycheck entries from a couple of months ago, and they do have the zero dollar line categorized as a transfer to my 401k account.

This is an easy manual fix, but it would also be nice to have this "un-broken" in the future for when the memorized transaction posts as well.
  • racer0692
    racer0692 Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem that started within the last couple of months.
    It never used to be an issue. I agree it would be nice to have this un-broken as well.
    Thanks @BlueFreak for the manual work around in the mean time.
  • sammyshanker
    sammyshanker Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue.
  • CFBro
    CFBro Member
    I think I have the same issue. But I can't figure out how to manually correct it. I can't find the uncategorized transaction.
  • CFBro
    CFBro Member
    I found the uncategorized contribution in my payroll by running a Payee Report, which shows the Split View and the uncategorized "$0.00" for Employer Match Contribution. But trying to recategorize that one line of the payroll split is not accepted.
  • CRS
    CRS Member ✭✭
    Same issue. Quicken Jared- is this being worked on? Clearly a lot of us experiencing the same problem.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    edited January 25

Hello everyone, 

I am sorry to hear that you are being affected by these issues with Uncategorized Transaction errors. Thank you for reaching out about this here on the Quicken Community. 

I recommend submitting program log files by navigating to Help > Report a problem in the upper menu at the top of the screen. You may then include a brief description of the issue as well as any available screenshots you may have along with the data logs. Although we will investigate this issue further, we do not have an ETA on a resolution, and you will not receive a response through these submissions, as these are used purely for investigative purposes.

Feel free to reach out with any other questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared

(CTP-5082)

• CRS
    CRS Member ✭✭
    This does not have anything to do with online banking, please see the comments- it is the paycheck entry that is creating uncategorized transactions for each of us.