It is time to renew my Quicken subscription, but I am hesitant to do so.

In the far distant past, Quicken was great, but lately I am having issues with Quicken correctly downloading my banking information and putting the figures in the correct Every account had incorrect balances and after a very long time on the phone with an "expert" at Quicken, None of the accounts could be corrected. The only solution they had was a balance adjustment. One account still is not right even though last week it was right on. I had this problem even before the upgrades to downloading from online. Has anyone else had this issue. Is there actually a solution? or should I just forget using Quicken altogether? Quicken also places the figures, sometimes, in the wrong place.
A deposit will show up as a payment or a payment will show up as a deposit. Thanks, Doodle

Best Answer

• crummer
    crummer Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I have been a Quicken Home and Business for 10+ years and I too am thinking, with all the problems that have been cropping up recently, of giving up on Quicken.
    I have been trying to download transactions from Wells Fargo for a month or more constantly getting error messages. Quicken and Wells Fargo blame the other. Sorry, but why bother to use Quicken if you manually enter all your transactions? Get a good check register, sign up for automatic payments when appropriate or just use the Bank's online banking program. By the way I ended posting because I was given a link to do so by Quicken support...thanks for the "help"

Answers

• The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    I have looked at other financial programs and experimented with a few but in my experience, Quicken is still the best. How critical is it for you to download transactions from your bank? If you have a multitude of transactions then perhaps downloads are the best option. I have never used that feature in my 20+ years using Quicken. I have found it easier to just manually enter my receipts in the register as I purchase a product.

I'm sure other users find it more convenient to download transactions so it is all a matter of preference. I see continual posts concerning users having difficulty downloading transactions from banks and other financial institutions including password problems and complaints about not being able to connect to a financial institution which usually seems to be a problem on the financial institution's end. 

Manually entering transactions works best for me and downloading works best for others.
  • crummer
    crummer Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I have been a Quicken Home and Business for 10+ years and I too am thinking, with all the problems that have been cropping up recently, of giving up on Quicken.
    I have been trying to download transactions from Wells Fargo for a month or more constantly getting error messages. Quicken and Wells Fargo blame the other. Sorry, but why bother to use Quicken if you manually enter all your transactions? Get a good check register, sign up for automatic payments when appropriate or just use the Bank's online banking program. By the way I ended posting because I was given a link to do so by Quicken support...thanks for the "help"
  • doodle
    doodle Member
    Thank you. I am glad I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. One user suggested entering all transactions manually. I used to do exactly that but got weary of it a few years ago. I agree that it is the best way to go but then I started thinking and wondering why I should waste all that time entering transactions manually when I could simply download everything from my financial institutions. That worked well until recently, but now the downloads stink, to say the least. Not only do I have trouble downloading but the downloads end up improperly entered in the registers. Some transactions that are income show up in the expense column and vice versa, or they suddenly get changed or don't show up at all. Besides, why should I do it manually after spending money on a program that is supposed to be the best, and is also supposed to do the work for me.
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Use Web connect, not Express Web Connect or Direct connect. Turn sync off, and use the manual Web connect as I did and I fixed 99% of my problems trying to download transactions from my credit union!
  • doodle
    doodle Member
    I appreciate your advice, but, unfortunately, I am not really very tech savvy. I am on Microsoft Windows and am not familiar with Web Connect. Any tips??
  • Bbbb
    Bbbb Member
    > @crummer said:
    > I have been a Quicken Home and Business for 10+ years and I too am thinking, with all the problems that have been cropping up recently, of giving up on Quicken.
    > I have been trying to download transactions from Wells Fargo for a month or more constantly getting error messages. Quicken and Wells Fargo blame the other. Sorry, but why bother to use Quicken if you manually enter all your transactions? Get a good check register, sign up for automatic payments when appropriate or just use the Bank's online banking program. By the way I ended posting because I was given a link to do so by Quicken support...thanks for the "help"

Let me know if you find another program that "works".
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @doodle,

No one wants to enter all data manually, and I believe you indicated that you are in that group.  While Quicken has had more issues with downloading this past year then most years, quite frankly (which I always am) those issues have not been caused by Quicken, but rather by the move by the banks and brokerages to move from Direct Connect (an established and secure connection method) to a very new and (in my view) less secure method.  That change has had more than its share of "growing pains" for the financial institutions and for Quicken.  I personally believe that these issues will be ironed out in the near future.

So it really comes down to the application and its features.  I know of no other personal financial application that has - over time- been able to deliver on most of its promises.  It isn't perfect, but I would challenge anyone to point out a more secure and full featured application.  If you want to do your personal financial tracking on your smart phone - go for it there are tons of apps and financial institutions catering to that market segment, but for me the limitations are vast, not to mention the security risks.

Just my 2 cents,

Frankx 

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    doodle said:
    I appreciate your advice, but, unfortunately, I am not really very tech savvy. I am on Microsoft Windows and am not familiar with Web Connect. Any tips??
    Web Connect is where you go to the financial institution and download a Web Connect/QFX file and then import it into Quicken.  So, call this "semi-manual".  You aren't entering the transactions manually, but it isn't happening automatically with One Step Update.  Note not all financial institutions support Web Connect/QFX importing.

Note it is also possible to do a similar process for financial institutions that don't support Web Connect/QFX files by doing a conversion form a format they have for exporting transactions like a CSV file to one that Quicken will accept (either QFX/QIF) with a program like mine (ImportQIF, which is free): 
    https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • BOB140
    BOB140 Member
    Quicken is terrible, but I don't have a better solution.
  • doodle
    doodle Member
    Thanks so much for everyone's input. I truly appreciate it and will consider carefully before renewing my subscription. doodle
This discussion has been closed.